Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Begging for SS 2012 RALLY Design.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostSun Jul 12, 15 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

new wave sst sounds quite good. Any of you demo types also flown a BWS, v2 or Pro Edition? Curious how they compare.

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Jul 12, 15 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

Ok to put an end to this thread. So what I have to say may rankle some, but the point of this thread was to get them to bring back the 2012 Rally, the best wave kite I have ever flown.

It was silly fast and not for everyone's style but fit me perfectly. The SST is a modified RPM that already worked well in the waves IMO. Heck even a Switchblade works well in the waves. But neither has the speed, relaunch and upwind ability of the 2012 Rally. And no it did not have stability problems, just poor riders.

I realize it was a kite that did not work with most intermediate kiters and had to be changed for financial reasons, that's business.

2012 Rally Drunk

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 12, 15 2:54 pm    2016 is 2012 Reply with quote

The wave is not the rally . The new rally is the 2012 rally Very Happy
http://www.slingshotsports.com/2016-Rally#.VaLvoIm9LCR

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 20, 15 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

to the OP
thanks to Dave at Windance I got to ride the 7M 2016 Rally this morning at the Hatch in decent swell. First, I am 165# and only an ok kiter, not great. I can do backroll kiteloops and waves but no unhooked stuff(my shoulders will no longer co-operate). I rode the 2012 Rally's and my wife still has hers so i have been on them a bit.
The new 2016's are a fun kite. Take the best of the 2012 and the best of the 2104 and you have the new one. If you set the rear lines on the rearmost attachment points it feels almost exactly like the 2012 for the turning at least for the 7M i was on. If you could not see the kites but had to guess just by feel the only way you could tell the difference is the new one jumps/floats better. The pivot turn is the same, no pull at all and then it flies across the window. iIf you pull the bar hard it will turn just inside its own wingtip with no pull. Tight little downloops with no pull. Bar pressure is light, really light at this setting. Too light for me, i moved to the middle attachment and it still turned fast but with just a bit of pull and the hang time was better. When on the rearmost setting, the bar movements only had to be very small to get the kite to react, very responsive. First jump when I sent it it went way past 12 and had to loop it to bring it back!
If you liked the 2012 you will love this kite. If you loved the 2012 you will love this kite, too.
I have no affiliation with Slingshot or Windance and I buy my own gear.

Last edited by knotwindy on Wed Jul 22, 15 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 21, 15 10:45 am     Reply with quote

No your right the new rally is not the 2012. May as well have changed the name after 2012 because they confused everyone.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Jul 21, 15 5:01 pm     Reply with quote

splitting hairs

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 21, 15 6:46 pm     Reply with quote

Lurk,
Have you had a ride on the 2016 Rally(sorry but that is what they call it) with the rear lines set all the way back? If not, you should really give it a go before you decide. If you already have, sorry, never mind.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 22, 15 6:31 am     Reply with quote

This may be better discussed in a new thread, but any first hand reports on the 2016 Rally?

I'm planning on getting the 12M. I'm hoping it has the wind range of the 2013/14/15 model, but more of the agility of the 2011/12 model. We'll see! Stoked to try it. Thumb's Up

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 22, 15 1:40 pm     Reply with quote

Update:
I spoke to Tony Logosz, the designer, and he said if you liked the 2012 Rally then buy the new one and put the rear lines on the furthest back setting.

Dave

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 23, 15 8:52 am     Reply with quote

No offense, I appreciate the new info and the effort to explain.

The 2016 Rally may be a bit faster in the rear lines setting but is not going to be the same as the 2012.

It just would not appeal to the Euro market and intermediates. Tony made a smart business decision when he made the changes. He may be correct that the market isn't big enough for that kite. Too bad for me. Of course this is only my guess, so take it at that.

I hope my 2012's last another year... or until my Mancora trip is over..

Last edited by Lurk on Thu Jul 23, 15 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 27, 15 6:45 pm     Reply with quote

Got my new 2016 12M Rally today. Thumb's Up
Haven't pumped it up yet but did get a chance to lay it on top of my 2014 12M.
The good news is that the kite was exactly the same size. Whenever changes are promised I'm always afraid they'll change the canopy size. So, if you have a 2013/14/15 Rally you'll be happy to see the sizing the same. At least on the 12M.

Cursory inspection showed all attachment points to be identical between the two as are bridle lengths. As I haven't inflated or flown it, no idea if there are strut, LE bladder or other canopy changes.
Lurk, have you considered replacing that 2012 12M with a 2016 10M or 11M? One of them is going to be the exact same size as your 2012 12M, you'll get the same wind range and loftier jumps. FWIW, I fly my 2014 12M with the tipmost rear line setting and the 23" bar. Still flies like a big kite but noticeably more agile than the stock setting.

The really sad thing is that I just finished off a can of Easy Cheese typing this post. Damn guilty pleasures...

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 28, 15 4:09 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Todd, I really have extensive time on the 2012 and a bit on the 2013,14,15 Rallys. They run very big after 2012 and are much slower. Not really the same kite. Yes they jump bigger have huge hang time.. not what I want on a wave.

I even had a 2013 Rally 14m break off my harness hook on a jump. Huge canopy huge power. A 10m 2014 easily equals a 2012 12m IMO. Their great for that purpose.

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSat Aug 08, 15 5:57 am     Reply with quote

not my ad or kites but thought some of you might want to jump on these:

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/spo/5156801507.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: