Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Begging for SS 2012 RALLY Design.
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
gorgeperformance

Since 30 Nov 2010
67 Posts

PostThu Oct 10, 13 4:03 pm     Reply with quote

I didn't want to post the kites for less than Dave, but I found a
MAP price from SS @ $899 for the 9 (orange yellow and blue orange)
and $949 for the 10(yellow/yellow and blue).

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 11, 13 5:28 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Im looking for the 2012. 12m. If anyone has one I may be interested depending on condition.

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Nov 12, 14 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

This is an old post, but after getting some "happy talk" from SS about a Rally type wave kite coming soon, I am wondering what the hell is up.

I need to know so I can change my long standing affiliation with SS. I will be riding a different brand as soon as my 2012 Rally's start to get old.

Sad for me as I was a guy who started on a 9m SS GTO back in the day, now 11 years later, its time.

And yes I understand Tony needs to appeal to the intermediate {i.e.shity} level kiter in order to make money...

Anyone have a good wave kite recommendation? Drifter or Bandit or?

LapDog

Since 19 Dec 2008
66 Posts
White Salmon

PostWed Nov 12, 14 4:26 pm    SS Rally's - new verses old Reply with quote

I recently sold a complete set of 2012 Rallys, replacing them with newer Rallys. The newer Rallys do feel a bit different. They go up wind better and work better overpower. I get it that they don't drift as well. My solution to that was to become really comfortable downlooping in the waves. Also, sheeting out mid bottom turn, with a gentle touch, helps them drift.

It's really not hard to keep a newer Rally in ideal position, with a little technique. The upwind performance is worth giving up a little drift. Can ride more waves per session with the newer Rallys, due to getting up wind faster between sets.

- Matt Wheeler

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostThu Nov 13, 14 3:32 am    Re: Begging for SS 2012 RALLY Design. Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:
...I shudder to think of going back to RPM's for the waves, as good as they are ...

This is what I did some months ago. After Rally '13 and '14 with strapless surfboard only I went back to '14 rpm. Turning is so much nicer. Upwind not as good as Rally but still o.k. Don't regret it a bit.

Nevertheless I am very curious about the Wavekite that is supposed to be coming next year.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 20, 14 5:59 pm     Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:
This is an old post, but after getting some "happy talk" from SS about a Rally type wave kite coming soon, I am wondering what the hell is up.

I need to know so I can change my long standing affiliation with SS. I will be riding a different brand as soon as my 2012 Rally's start to get old...

#1 - SS has been thin on news regarding this kite. Only a couple rumors here and there. I suspect if we don't see it in January or February, it was just another bat kite, nothing to see here.

#2 - I had 2011/2012 Rallys and loved them. Switched to the 2014s and lamented for an entire season how much I liked the old design better...main thing for me being the faster turning and lighter bar pressure of the old design. But still, I was happy on my 2014s. Then one day at the end of a 9M session on my 2014, a friend rides up with a 2012 10M (my old favorite!) and let's me ride it. I was stoked!!! It wasn't as good as I remembered it. The 2014 is a much better kite. Easier to jump, more power & rock solid. Yeah...I wish it were more agile, but I wouldn't trade it.

Buuuuuuut, I will try the wave kite if it comes out! Wink

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Nov 21, 14 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

The 2014 are much different, for one thing they are at least a 1/2 meter larger than their stated size.( I have pics of each size layed over the top of each other) They have much more bar pressure, are much slower, and are not good wave kites for my style.(And for most who know what they are doing in waves). An RPM is a much better choice.

The 2014 and 2013 Rallys are IDENTICAL, again they have much better hang time, jumps, more pull, power, cause their bigger.. imagine that.

I liken them to my old TURBO 2. Huge jumps, hangtime and bar pressure. Perfect for intermediates. Of which I was one back then but no longer. This is the reason they are made today, bigger market when you sell to intermediates.

I am still looking for a 2012 12m. Yes I know their are lots of 8m and 9m out their still. The 12m are RARE.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 08, 15 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Time to resurrect an old post.

Slingshot marketing states the new 2016 Rally is similar to the 2012 model (seconds 45-50 in the following video).

https://vimeo.com/132679706

Does anyone have feedback?

I'm primarily questioning the size. Is the sizing still running a little large?

Any other feedback would be interesting as well.

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 08, 15 9:59 am     Reply with quote

The new Rally is still a design for beginners and intermediates, not their new wave kite.

The Wave SST is new and thier designated wave kite. It is not, however a Open C design like the Rally. It is more of fine tuned RPM. Realkiteboarding has some much better reviews than SS on their website.

They also have a new bar with the heretofore despised bungies. Apparently the light went on when they realized they were the last company to not have them.

Now if they could redesign the swivel before I apply for Medicare I will die happy.

zipperline

Since 02 Aug 2005
66 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Jul 08, 15 10:02 am     Reply with quote

All I can say is get your hands on the new Wave SST kite and demo one. windance has them. They are insane!!!!!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 08, 15 10:04 am    No More Bungee Whiners Reply with quote

You happy now? You got your little line bungee cords for those who couldn't figure out a half hitch Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPNxVW7TJvg

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 08, 15 10:05 am     Reply with quote

And looks like they also finally offer above the bar depower version of the compstick bar which makes me very happy.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jul 08, 15 10:18 am     Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:
Time to resurrect an old post.

Slingshot marketing states the new 2016 Rally is similar to the 2012 model (seconds 45-50 in the following video).

https://vimeo.com/132679706

Does anyone have feedback?

I'm primarily questioning the size. Is the sizing still running a little large?

Any other feedback would be interesting as well.

Big Johnny I highly recommend you demo the new Wave kite.

It was nuking during the Windance Sunday demo at the Event Site a few weeks back and I got blown off the water so Dave Nunn set me up with a 6M Wave and after about 10 minutes my impression was;

1. Super fast and very very stable.
2. Perfect mix of the Rally big wind range, RPM torque and Fuel-like quick.
3. Instantly felt comfortable with it.

I honestly did not want to like it because I just picked up a quiver of RPM's so my mini demo session had moments of induced Tourette's syndrome cursing the Slingshot family for finding a way into my pockets, yet again. Razz

Granted, a high wind 6M demo is not a very typical session but they just started selling this past week so it will be interesting to hear more feedback from everyday riders. The Wave seems like the evolution of the Rally kind of like what the Rev was for the RPM. (??) Not sure, but definitely go demo one because the boys that designed that kite hit a homerun.

Last edited by Sella on Thu Jul 09, 15 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 08, 15 10:25 am    Re: No More Bungee Whiners Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
You happy now? You got your little line bungee cords for those who couldn't figure out a half hitch Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPNxVW7TJvg

I was whining about that for years. I even made my own bungees. LOL. I seriously just figured the half hitch out a couple weeks ago when I bought a used bar. so simple... two half hitches and done.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 08, 15 11:10 am     Reply with quote

New 2016 Rallys and WAVE SST are available for demo. (for people who intend on buying them from us please)

Ask my staff for our reviews or check my post in Industry page.

Dave

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 08, 15 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

OK, first, i could not care less about the bungee's or the ATB/BTB depower nonsense. I care about how the kite flies and this one is a lot of fun. Drift is great, depower & depower steering is great, pull the bar a bit harder and it will almost pivot on it's wingtip, tight little downloops and a really steady, smooth loop without a lot of pull(it is a wave kite, if you want the yank get the RPM or Fuel) and it has a surprising amount of hang time for a wave kite(not like the Rally but not bad). It is not a park and ride kite for the low end but it is fast enough to get you going if you can work a kite when it is light, top end is great so the overall range is very good. If you try to ride it in low wind by just just parking it, it will feel bit small for its size but move it and it goes.
Overall, a really fun kite.
I do not work for Slingshot or any kite company and buy my own kites and ride a lot of different kite brands.
PS this is based on the Wave 10M that i rode for about 2.5 hours

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostSat Jul 11, 15 10:52 pm     Reply with quote

Lurk wrote:

... Now if they could redesign the swivel before I apply for Medicare I will die happy.

Yeah, and 20 + 3 m lines Wink
Waiting for wind to give them a go. Very curious.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: