Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newbie Board Buying Feedback Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
BizzyLizzy

Since 08 Jan 2006
15 Posts
PDX via Ashland, soon Amer Samoa

PostWed Nov 22, 06 11:11 am    Newbie Board Buying Feedback Needed Reply with quote

Say someone (like me, let's say) needed to buy a board that would serve to grow into from beginner to intermediate and I had to choose from a Liquid Force Element or a Mission which should I choose?

Or if you think there is some magic board out there I should really, really try to find let me know.

Much Thanks!

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Nov 22, 06 11:59 am     Reply with quote

I know a couple of guys that use LF boards....For the price, they seem to like 'em...Plus, they also seem to edge and go upwind pretty easy.
However, if I was you, I might just consider looking into the Slingshot SX boards. Although there are probably better boards out there, you cann't go wrong with an SX. You can be a beginner or an advance rider and still have a great time...Depending on the conditions your riding, these boards are good all around. Even if you decide to get another board, you will still want to keep your SX...My opinion, I highly recommend getting a slingshot board...Good luck.... Wink

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostWed Nov 22, 06 12:05 pm    yeap SS SX is tha shit for learning Reply with quote

they are forgiving enough to start with and will perform nicely well into your intermediate to advanced riding levels. I weigh in about 170 and the first board i ever owned was an SX 137, loved it! big enough to make learning a bit easier but also small enough to take into into my intermediate stages of riding.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Nov 22, 06 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

I would choose the LF Drop if I was going to suggest a LF board for a beginner/intermediates.

The others are wakestyle focused and are better for very powered riding and doing wakestyle tricks. You will ride upwind much easier on the Drop, which is going to be your primary obstacle as a beginner. And there is no reason you can't do all the tricks on it either.

Its a Jimmy Lewis shape for a great price (especially if you compare it to Jimmy Lewis branded boards.) Of the production boards available LF seem to hit a good price/performance ratio, though they are a little heavy.

Good luck! Thumb's Up

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 22, 06 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

http://wileyski.com/kiteboards/liquid-force.htm

http://realkiteboarding.com/index.cfm?page=detail&catID=560&productID=7770

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Nov 22, 06 1:43 pm     Reply with quote

The wiley ski deal is pretty killer, any time you can score a brand new board w/bindings for under 300 hundred your styling. I like the 05 graphics a lot better than 06 too.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Nov 22, 06 1:45 pm     Reply with quote

Save your money and buy a Jimmy Lewis model III. Pure butter baby! I sleep with mine under my pillow.

But alas, the LF are a good deal although they are heavy. If you want an SX I have a 03 132? I will unload on the cheap...say $150 or $200?

BizzyLizzy

Since 08 Jan 2006
15 Posts
PDX via Ashland, soon Amer Samoa

PostWed Nov 22, 06 3:51 pm     Reply with quote

How will these do me in light wind? I'm going to American Samoa and I've been told (big kite, light wind board).

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 22, 06 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

in that case, get this:
http://www.impact3d.com/HeinSwellPigComposite.jpg

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Nov 22, 06 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

BizzyLizzy wrote:
How will these do me in light wind? I'm going to American Samoa and I've been told (big kite, light wind board).

How big are you? sub 220 I'd go for the LF 136 Drop or the WLF... over 220 I'd go Slingshot Glide... you will shoot upwind even when the light guys are sinking. Very Happy

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostWed Nov 22, 06 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

I would talk to Hein and see if he'll sell you a DIY Flywood like he did me. I messed around all summer trying to go upwind with a Slingshot SX. Hein shaped me a piece of plywood, got me stoked by letting me see his setup and all his boards, then I had fun glassing it. Anyway first time on the DIY and I shot upwind like crazy. The next time I rode my sx I could magically go upwind. The DIY will be great for a beginner then will be an awesome light wind board.

Andy

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostThu Nov 23, 06 7:12 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Andy,

Do you have some pictures of your board?

Here's a pdf drawing of the design:

http://www.impact3d.com/Hein_plywood137x47.pdf

The 'core' comes with inserts and Thin Fins. You can
get the epoxy, fiberglass and supplies from Fiberglass supply.
I think Andy got his supplies in Portland but don't remember
where.

You could get some paint pens from Sharpie and draw
a unique graphic on the wood and then just glass over it.

-Hein

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Nov 23, 06 7:44 am    something Reply with quote

a bigger board will be much easier to learn on ,
if you are average weight say 150 -200 about a 150 cm would be nice
something cheap so you can leave it the Samoans

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostThu Nov 23, 06 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

I'll keep trying to post a pick. Sorry using Ubuntu Linux now and not completely dialed in yet.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostThu Nov 23, 06 2:03 pm     Reply with quote

I didn't do a perfect job on the glass for sure, but next time I will know what not to do. If you want to know what kind of beginner mistakes not to make just ask. I went to TAP plastics on Sandy Blvd close to 28th and picked up everything I needed. Thanks for the help Hein.

P1010825.JPG 
   P1010820.JPG 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Nov 23, 06 5:49 pm     Reply with quote

looks sweet! I'm a big fan of the homemade ply boards...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: