Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waddell rescue
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostTue Sep 17, 13 4:59 am    Waddell rescue Reply with quote

I am grateful beyond words to those who saved my uncle's life on Thursday, 9/12/13. He is someone that means a lot to me. Steve Hamman's been sailing for 20 years, is a regular in large surf, is safety-minded, and is a guy who gets-the-sessions. I'll call him the Session General of our family and has had a very big influence on me. I became aware of his status on my birthday. Suffice it to say that the last 3 days my grateful-o-meter has been redlining. On Thursday, he was wave sailing at Waddell Creek in Northern California. He was trapped under his sail in heavy shore pound and was not able to escape. He was found face-down floating with no pulse and not breathing. That's when, due to heroic efforts of Jason Wolfe, Sargon Jacob, and others whom I have yet find out their name, he was resuscitated.

Jason Wolfe and Sargon Jacob, and others who helped, I am in awe of what you did and am grateful beyond words.

Jason Wolfe's account of what saw and did: "We Were lucky yesterday. I came in on a fairly heavy wave, gave Sidwell the thumbs up and the sand came up out of nowhere because the south had walled it up really weird. Jumped off the board and slid across the sand. Decided not to go back out at that location so ran up-shore a bit to avoid the shore-pound. Saw Steve's windsurfer board floating about 50-75' out and a seal up wind of it. Realized it was no seal when the wave took him over again and my brain processed solo-board and flopping seal = drowned person... started to go in after him with the kite at that point but the waves brought him closer and I realized I needed to get rid of the kite to use both hands. Ran in 50 feet and dropped the kite screaming for help. Went back into the shore pound area, (real weird effect on the sand yesterday) and luckily the waves had brought him into the shallows pretty close so I didn't have to go far. Pulled him in and started trying to get his ass up in the air to expel the water. Lungs were full, face gray and covered in foam. I actually had the weird thought that he looked like a zombie. Once I got him in a bit and we got most of the water out I collapsed and Sargon and some other guys took over with CPR. Real tough session that lasted several minutes and we got a pulse. Un-fucking-believable. I didn't think we were bringing him back. Color came back over several minutes after the pulse cam back from ash to pink and then someone arrived with oxygen. He gave us some responses before getting carried on a board up to the ambulance, then up the hill to helicopter, then to Stanford. He seemed to realize what had happened to him when I watched him leave. Will be forever thankful that he lived for us."

Last edited by 4Stringer/KipWinger on Wed Sep 18, 13 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

brass

Since 15 Jul 2006
152 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 17, 13 6:07 am     Reply with quote

Wow! So much for Waddell locals' bad boy reputations. Nice work boys glad this ended well.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 17, 13 6:12 am     Reply with quote

Holy shit! Not sure what to say. First thought was that that was a hell of a series of serendipitous events that led to his survival. That was meant to be. Second thought is I should take a CPR refresher course. My last one was like 15 years ago. Holy shit!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Sep 17, 13 6:38 am     Reply with quote

Here's to Jason and Sargon, and to Steve for pulling through.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 17, 13 7:04 am     Reply with quote

props to the rescuers.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Sep 17, 13 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Holy F* Awesome! What a great story!

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 17, 13 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Huge props! Glad to hear he made it. Might have to revisit that PFD idea.

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 17, 13 9:21 am     Reply with quote

That's amazing. As a medical professional I know how rare it is that CPR works. No doubt it helped that the victim was an otherwise strong, healthy individual.

What an amazing group of people working together, so good to hear these stories when otherwise its just news of mass shootings, government gridlock, etc.

ps: not sure a PFD would help a subsail, subwave pindown.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Sep 17, 13 9:26 am     Reply with quote

Fantastic! Heroes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 17, 13 9:50 am    Re: Waddell rescue Reply with quote

rescuer wrote:
Will be forever thankful that he lived for us."

Awesome!!!

If you have ever been involved in a rescue that did not go well, you can really relate to this sentiment.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Sep 17, 13 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Wow. Matter of minutes. Hoping Steve makes a full recovery.

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostTue Sep 17, 13 10:38 am     Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Wow nice work people!

nickczar

Since 17 Dec 2007
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Sep 17, 13 10:48 am     Reply with quote

I was down visiting the Caution crew the last couple weeks, when we rolled up to Waddell that afternoon jazzed on the return of the wind and some swell finally rolling in! While changing into wetsuits and bullshitting in the parking lot, we heard someone yelling to land their kite because someone was drowning... The next few minutes seemed like an eternity.

All eyes went to the water expecting to see someone splashing or flailing outside the waves, but no. Three of four of us sprinted toward the water scouring the horizon through the sun and waves (some were overhead this day), then finally saw the body face down in the water. Luckily, he was mostly on shore in front of the break already, we then picked him up and got him further up on the beach. Moving a lifeless body full of water was no easy task. I don't know everyone who helped but if it weren't for the fast actions of a few the outcome could have been very different.

I have never been in the face of something like this before, and am so lucky to have seen it go the way it did! The guy's who brought him back are heroes plain and simple! No matter how "gone" someone looks, CPR is the real deal and a life saver. It was pretty amazing to see the life flow back into his body, a real heavy experience.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostTue Sep 17, 13 11:41 am     Reply with quote

Honestly, the only time that I've felt like this was when my 2 children were born; a gift beyond imagination. My family is grateful beyond words for your efforts Nick.

Jim Mason

nickczar

Since 17 Dec 2007
5 Posts

Kook

PostTue Sep 17, 13 11:49 am     Reply with quote

I only took some of the weight carrying him in, the guys who were doing the CPR are the heroes, I was lucky enough to see those guys do their thing, that's all...

Hope he is back out shredding soon.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 17, 13 11:52 am     Reply with quote

Wow - crazy story. Any of us could be in that position ... hits home .

Hope he recovers fully & quickly .

doubledogdare

Since 31 Aug 2005
11 Posts
Cali

PostTue Sep 17, 13 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Great to hear a that Steve is doing well!!! I was one of guys helping with the rescue.

Here's what I observed:

I was at my truck getting ready to take my wetsuit off after a great session when I saw a bunch of people running on the beach. I looked up and saw Jason and several others shaking Steve upside down and then they started with CPR. When I got to them I observed what looked like good CPR so I ran back to my truck to call 911. BTW I am a respiratory therapist at a trauma center and I do CPR often.

There is no cell service at Waddell so I drove up to Big Creek lumber yard and called there. A ranger nearby heard over the scanner what was going on and headed to the beach. She and I arrived back to the beach at about same time, by now Steve had regained his heart rhythm and was breathing. I grabbed the medical bag from the ranger which had oxygen and ran it down to Steve. From about that moment on he began mumbling and moving a bit more. Cal Fire arrived about 15 min later then after another 10 the paramedics arrived. By that time Steve was talking. A few of us helped carry him up to the rig that took him to the chopper that took him to Stanford.

-mike

BTW here's an excellent example of why we all need to learn CPR!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: