Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Big Air Cross Training with Alex Peterson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Airnsails

Since 22 Jun 2005
104 Posts
Hood River, OR
Stoked

PostWed Nov 15, 06 9:24 am    Big Air Cross Training with Alex Peterson Reply with quote

http://www.ussnowkite.com/

How does Alex Peterson Cross train for the biggest snowkite flight in history? Check out his soaring footage on www.ussnowkite.com

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostWed Nov 15, 06 2:44 pm    HE'S NUTS!! Reply with quote

DUDE, I WAS UP ON THE RIDGE THAT DAY FLYING R/C GLIDERS AND IT WAS FREAKIN NUKIN!!! Shocked

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 15, 06 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

Wow, that wing looks a bit twitchy. Caught some buds of mine in california testing the 17m in 25knot winds but the ridge was only 12 feet high. Is that hospital hill? nutz....

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostWed Nov 15, 06 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

Yup, looks like hospital and it looks to be blowing very hard.

To ridge soar at all with that 12m Nano takes a ton, and the small wing definitely is a little hyper. Guys down in Utah were speed gliding down off the North Side in 20mph, so for Alex to be staying up...it must be going good.

I flew with Alex up at Chelan over Halloween and he was up on launch in 18mph with the Nano bouncing all over the place. Not as much soaring, but he would hop off a rock, glide down, and then sprint it back up...letting the Nano pull him back up to launch.

Looked like a blast, but it would also seem that you would need to be as good as Alex to make it work. One little ooops could put ya in a world of hurt....

Good luck Alex, and keep us up to date on your crazy kiteboarding cliff attempts.

Bam

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 15, 06 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

most definitely. There is nothing worse than being blown back in your glider.. you have no control other than pull big ears and standing on your speed bar,b-lining it, or whatever, depending on altitude and terrain. I got caught in 25+knot winds on my glider, and the risers kept getting ripped out of my hands every time I tried to bury them to kill my kite when I landed. Got dragged and was getting launched for 138feet on my stomach until the lines finally got caught in some greenery on a dune. Luckily it was all sand so I didn't get hurt....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: