Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

jump vs trick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 13, 06 4:10 pm    jump vs trick Reply with quote

i was curious what the difference in take-off is for a trick, say a roll or mobe or something...

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Nov 13, 06 4:55 pm     Reply with quote

Not that I know what I'm talking about or anything... but are you just talking about popping and then starting a rotation? That's what I've been working on more lately, and for some reason I still suck. Crying or Very sad

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 13, 06 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

well.. i come from a boat discipline where it's important to focus on the jump, and then the trick. I think i have the jumps down on the kite, and am interested in a front or back roll... just wondering what is different about the take off. In other words, jump then flip.

i don't go very high right now, so assume wake style tricks... would that mean it is a lot like a wakeboard back roll?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Nov 13, 06 5:40 pm     Reply with quote

With the backroll you usually start the rotation with leaving the water (which is easy to do because you are edging away from the kite anyway.) With a frontroll you get the pop then start the rotation. I used to think frontrolls were harder for this reason, but now that I do them more I think frontrolls are easier to time than backrolls.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 13, 06 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

yeah to do a backroll all you really have to do is hop and look over your back shoulder, you come around pretty easy, doing frontrolls you have to pop then swing into the rotation, but once you get it down, both are easy.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostMon Nov 13, 06 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

I think it looks better if you can get a big pop,
go up a bit, do the rotation, complete it, stall,
then stick it. -only in my dreams.

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostMon Nov 13, 06 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

so i got a couple of questions...

a lot of the time my backrolls come out looking like a side-ways flip. so for a more vertical flip i need to drop the kite down closer to the water?
and when doing a frontroll i seem to stall out halfway. should i be trying to "swing" under the kite like when doing a backroll? or do i try to tuck the shoulder more?

also, today was my first attempt at kiteloops Very Happy
what i'm trying is a backroll while sending the kite overhead and into a loop. should i be un-hooked?
the first few came out clean...then carnage...came down on my shoulder and broke my dang goggles. it funny but for some reason i felt more comfortable on the snow....but it still hurt Wink

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Nov 14, 06 7:52 am    if not Reply with quote

backrolls are just a matter of looking back when you come off the water and let the water push you backwards ,
frontrolls happen after you leave the water and if not enough spin on one throw your back arm and tuck up to help rotation if too much drop your legs and spread out your body to slow you down think ice skater and how fast they spin when tucked and slow when the spread out .
multiple spins are higher jumps with more body thrust ,
bigger boards also carry a lot energy and twisting your legs uses your boards energy as well

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: