Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

exploring the couve
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 11, 13 6:26 am    exploring the couve Reply with quote

just moved down from the big city and hunkered down in north vancouver
been here for about a week now and have explored the gorge huckfest, north coast, and even the PDX airport. amazing how many riding options I have found.
I do miss flying my big kite Very Happy so need to find a good way to hang with the homies over at sauvies. google map says its an hour to drive around, but ridgefield is right across the river. not sure if anybody has ever ridden from ridgefield. I have yet to explore the corridor other than frenchman's and martin's bar but summer is in full effect so I will just need to check these places out when i can't get to the gorge.
anyhow just wanted to let you know I'm the new 'couverite or 'couvorian, whatever y'all call yourselves down here.
stoked to be down here for good now.
oh yeah and let me know your favorite coffee shop in the couve.
They are hard to find on this side of the river!

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostThu Jul 11, 13 6:42 am    Re: exploring the couve Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
just moved down from the big city and hunkered down in north vancouver
been here for about a week now and have explored the gorge huckfest, north coast, and even the PDX airport. amazing how many riding options I have found.
I do miss flying my big kite Very Happy so need to find a good way to hang with the homies over at sauvies. google map says its an hour to drive around, but ridgefield is right across the river. not sure if anybody has ever ridden from ridgefield. I have yet to explore the corridor other than frenchman's and martin's bar but summer is in full effect so I will just need to check these places out when i can't get to the gorge.
anyhow just wanted to let you know I'm the new 'couverite or 'couvorian, whatever y'all call yourselves down here.
stoked to be down here for good now.
oh yeah and let me know your favorite coffee shop in the couve.
They are hard to find on this side of the river!

Instead of taking action photos of people drinking beer at Sauvies - just come to Jones and get some quality shots of people throwing their tricks in the ponds!!!! Smile

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 11, 13 7:09 am    Re: exploring the couve Reply with quote

stringy wrote:

Welcome to the area...or Couvlanistan/Vanlanistan as some call it. What are you going to do with all the drive time and gas $ you will be saving? I'd save the big kite time for the Northern coastal strip. SI takes way too much time to get to from where u are at and the time of day it gets windy there. I'd go to Jones instead and or try exit 22 (Woodland) or Kalama-Rama or a Dw'er from Kalama to Woodland.

The coffee shop I miss from S-town is Vivace. Best coffee I've ever had, hands down. Sorry, can't help u with coffee shop knowledge.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 11, 13 7:23 am    Lava Java - Ridgefield Reply with quote

I know some guys used to take a boat from the Ridgefield marina over to Sauvies area.

Stop by Lava Java in Ridgefield on your way to Woodland/Kalama/Jones. It is right off the freeway, easy on/off access.

The location is not so exciting [strip mall] but the owner/barista is award winning.

If you haven't already been introduced to Stumptown Coffee your about to be.

Welcome Stringy !

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 11, 13 8:05 am     Reply with quote

Welcome to the couve Stringy

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Jul 11, 13 9:05 am     Reply with quote

You can boat from Ridgefied to Sauvies, but you can't kite. Its just a slough there at Ridgefield, it goes around an island to get out in the main river. Go downriver, not upriver to get around the island!!! You could kayak upriver and come out pretty close to Sauvies... You could theoretically launch at Woodland and kite to Sauvies, but the wind is so fickle in between it would be pretty difficult without boat support. Woodland would be your best bet for a big kite. Rooster Rock, very occasionally, can be great with big kites (Turbine) on westerlies, but you need a boat until the water level drops.

Hit the Camas waterfront for the best Caribbean restaurant on the planet. The Puffin Cafe on the water in Camas has fish tacos and rum runners like nowhere else. Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up The fish tacos come with fruit salsa, but I prefer the house salsa which they will substitute. Go to the Camas marina, walk down the boat launch, and you'll see the Puffin floating on your right. the live music 5 to 8 on Friday and Saturday nights is very cool.

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostThu Jul 11, 13 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Some of us ride in woodland instead of Sauvies, much closer for Vancouver folk, windier, and flat water. Ping me your cell and I can text you next time we head out. We go just north of lewis river inlet.

cnski

Since 27 Jun 2008
13 Posts

PostThu Jul 11, 13 12:55 pm     Reply with quote

What about Vantucky? My girlfriend, a self proclaimed hood rat from Vancouver says everyone there is a redneck who loves four wheelers and such.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Jul 11, 13 1:24 pm     Reply with quote

Stringy were moving to da cove soon. We'll have you over for dinner when the house is finished. Woodland is fun big kite spot for sure. Just make sure trevor goes so he can pull your car out if it gets stuck lol

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jul 11, 13 2:42 pm     Reply with quote

cnski wrote:
What about Vantucky?

That is a good one, but soooo 90's.

Couvlanistan sounds so much more international;-0

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 11, 13 8:05 pm     Reply with quote

wow lots of good responses.
to be honest I don't miss flying a big kite that much.
I moved away from seattle so I didn't have to take a boat to get to the beach Laughing
nicole thanks for the offer, look forward to seeing more of you guys
nak-will hit the puffin cafe on my way back on 14 sometime.
thanks jon, you've already been very helpful with everything for me. appreciate what you've done, now let's start doing some kalamarama dw'ers.
stumptown is awesome, jason clack has a coffee shop (the boardroom cafe) up in seattle that brews stumptown and I love it.
blaze, I'll hit jones here soon. been hitting it hard in the gorge the past week.
gonna get tired of the gorge and will have to hit jones to change things up! Laughing

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri Jul 12, 13 6:25 am     Reply with quote

A bunch of us hit Jones mid-week and gorge/elsewhere on the weekends.

Here's a "video tour" of the Ponds at Jones. A few of us will likely be there this afternoon.

Link

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Jul 12, 13 7:17 am    Nice work on the vid. Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
A bunch of us hit Jones mid-week and gorge/elsewhere on the weekends.

Here's a "video tour" of the Ponds at Jones. A few of us will likely be there this afternoon.

Link

Nicely done, sir! I especially like the "pan-out" vid that comes from the water drop on the lens. . . the music was ok, but I liked it as it was different and auoustic only.

I wish Jones wasn't such a pain to get to.

By the way, how has the 4x4 restriction going and the parking and bathroom stuff going? Im sure the kiters are not the disgruntled.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 12, 13 7:35 am     Reply with quote

dern...Perfect!
I will see you guys out there next week if we see the same conditions as this week.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri Jul 12, 13 9:15 am     Reply with quote

Glad you guys like the vid.

I think the 4x4 restriction is still being discussed amongst the major parties... I don't really have an update on it. The kiters all still park pretty much the same way as we did before, just making sure our cars aren't sticking out into the road. The property owner said he was fine with us parking there as long as the road was clear. Not sure about he bathroom stuff.

Basically it is Jones as usual, and we're in prime season. It's going off every day, with some 30 mph hits earlier this week over in nuke alley.

sirmichaelo

Since 26 Mar 2010
353 Posts
Maui
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 13, 13 3:23 am    Re: exploring the couve Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
stringy wrote:

Welcome to the area...or Couvlanistan/Vanlanistan as some call it. What are you going to do with all the drive time and gas $ you will be saving? I'd save the big kite time for the Northern coastal strip. SI takes way too much time to get to from where u are at and the time of day it gets windy there. I'd go to Jones instead and or try exit 22 (Woodland) or Kalama-Rama or a Dw'er from Kalama to Woodland.

The coffee shop I miss from S-town is Vivace. Best coffee I've ever had, hands down. Sorry, can't help u with coffee shop knowledge.

Word.

What he said.

I can't vouch for the coffee though.

It's 'Vantucky' by the way. Believe me. I know.

I also saw it rattle-canned on to a drumset during the Poison/Motley Crue show. True story. Great show. Ask your mom. She was there.

(check out the drums)

poison1.jpg 
   98666-small.gif 

Life is too short for second chances, although we do get many of them.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 20, 13 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

was late getting out to play tonight so hit frenchman's with hope of no merchant ships anchored and steady winds. pulled up and wind felt good for a 14m powered session. wasn't the best quality wind but for the location less than 20 minutes from my place, this worked out tonight. plenty of free parking and sandy beachfront for rigging. not too choppy. lots of ships go by so always be on the lookout. wind seemed much better (steadier and stronger) on the oregon side of the river. I caught this on an ebb tide tonight. another kiter was out ealrier and said he had trouble with staying upwind and I think it was a flood tide when he was out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: