Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

exploring the couve
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 27, 13 10:13 pm     Reply with quote

wintler looks like it may be a spot with potential.
I hit it today with joe but it didn't pan out.
strange that it seems windy with good texture on the water but just couldn't get up on a plane efficiently. great spot only 15 minutes from home so I'm hoping it does better with a more solid forecast. seemed like it was a little bit SE I think it might be better on SW.
just to the west of the park is a better spot with more beach, less trees, but not sure if there are hazards below the water.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Sep 28, 13 12:04 pm     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
wintler looks like it may be a spot with potential.
just to the west of the park is a better spot with more beach, less trees, but not sure if there are hazards below the water.

YES, lots of vertical sunken logs which were used as mooring pylons to the West by the old marina/WW II boat building yard and lots of broken glass on the beaches so I'd wear booties or shoes around the PDX/Vantucky beaches. Many of the logs/pylons are submerged just at or below the waterline.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostSat Sep 28, 13 6:16 pm     Reply with quote

I checked it out today before moving to a windier spot. I also noticed all of the debris in the shoreline.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 27, 14 9:50 pm     Reply with quote

seeing that rooster has once again cock blocked us from kiting for having too much wind, I headed to wintler park in the couve this afternoon. wind too light, I decided to check out cottonwood. being high tide, there was a great little sand split to rig up on and even self launch if you needed to. I found that the wind was extremely rotored while on the beach and once I got out 50 yards or so, it cleaned up and I was pretty powered up. looks like a good spot when rooster is maxed out. I did some additional exploring with joe afterwards and we found another spot down off 164th that might work, but needs a low tide event to give it enough beach. wind felt good and steady there though. didn't get the name of that beach though.

here's some pictures joe took at cottonwood

Joshiebaby

Since 14 Oct 2007
569 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostMon Jan 27, 14 10:55 pm     Reply with quote

When I used to live in the couve wintler didn't seem to go but just across the river right near PDX seemed to work from time to time. Less crap in the water/on the beach to jack your lines up too. Good luck in the couve man! I think that Jones is the call, never made it up there but always wish i would have. Woodland worked a few times. Enjoy!

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jan 28, 14 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome!!! I haven't been able to make cottonwood work the few time I have checked it out but this gives me motivation to keep trying.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 30, 14 4:07 pm     Reply with quote

Joshiebaby wrote:
When I used to live in the couve wintler didn't seem to go but just across the river right near PDX seemed to work from time to time. Less crap in the water/on the beach to jack your lines up too. Good luck in the couve man! I think that Jones is the call, never made it up there but always wish i would have. Woodland worked a few times. Enjoy!

hey joshie,
yeah wintler can be fickle, but I've got 2 sessions this week there on the 13m strutless kite. tough to beat a 15 minute commute to the beach.
jones is awesome in the summer time, but tough to motivate out there for less predictable wintertime winds.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 18, 15 8:06 am     Reply with quote

great to have woodland only 20 minutes away. those afternoon northerlies can make this spot pretty epic. rode a 7m last night with a traditional water pushing board!
amazing wind in the I5 corridor last night great to hang with mr and mrs jonpnw

Link

saleeba

Since 05 Mar 2006
237 Posts
Masshole
Stoked

PostMon Jul 20, 15 12:19 pm    Woodland Reply with quote

Oh man.. I came so close to heading to Woodland last night but said to myself "nah, it'll be too light". Shame on me!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 20, 15 9:52 pm     Reply with quote

on saturday about a dozen of us did the kalama to woodland downwinder. super light wind, but felt great considering how hot it was and not blowing really anywhere.
woodland always seems to be a good call, but my local favorite is hands down frenchmans if there aren't any anchored ships in the channel, this spot is just as good as sauvies (which can mean its also just as crappy)
with a foil, this place is a light wind wonderland. tonight, I rode my 9m and strapless foil the farthest I've ever ridden on a foil almost to the riverbend which is about halfway up to sauvies. gonna do it all the way soon. I better wear my gps watch to get a good record of the event!

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Aug 12, 15 4:58 am     Reply with quote

Some more Woodland Stoke from last week:

https://youtu.be/qc6B_G4vlFQ

Not sure how to embed that.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 16, 15 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

I like kiting frenchman's because it's close proximity to my home. today I decided to give it a go before the rain came. nice to rig on the grass and no rocks just sand on the beach. super big open area with a good fetch for wind. pretty easy to self launch here and plenty of takeout spots downwind.
I rode a foil with a 9m kite which seems to work in just about any conditions in any wind. serge on his 12m and TT. was fun while it lasted Very Happy
still get spooked when those big ships go by

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 17, 15 3:26 pm     Reply with quote

was thinking about heading east to avoid the rain but then the sensors were jacked with huge gusts everywhere. ended up meeting up with tak at wintler. looking at the radar it was a promising window with it raining everywhere but there. well that didn't last long as it rained but wasn't real heavy. I rigged my 9m and foiled for about an hour in some surprisingly steadier winds. some blasts came through and thought I might need to sit in the water and wait it out. was manageable and had a great session.
last week was super fun here doing runs to government island and then back over to hayden island.

got these shots right before my camera got soaked. Crying or Very sad
camera sitting in a bowl of rice now

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 17, 15 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

Rock on
I should have skipped work !
Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: