Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

River nose
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 29, 13 7:39 am    River nose Reply with quote

Hey all!
I get River Nose this time of year almost every time I kite. It usually lasts one to two days. since I kite every one two two days, I might only get a couple of hours without having a stuffy or runny nose.
I found kiting at the coast clears it up. It's like pounding salt water up my nose washes out the Columbia water.
Anyhow, I'm wondering does anyone else get it this bad? And, Does anyone have a (preferably natural)remedy that works?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Jun 29, 13 7:40 am     Reply with quote

Get saline nose spray, its like the ocean in a bottle.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 29, 13 8:02 am     Reply with quote

i've been getting this pretty bad too. I was wondering about using antihistamines, like claritin to prevent this from happening. Anyone try that?

Natural remedies?: I believe Chamomile tea can be antihistamine. Never tried it.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 29, 13 8:17 am     Reply with quote

I have not kited in 2 weeks and my river nose only cleared up a couple days ago. Trying to sleep sucks when you have to breath through your mouth.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Jun 29, 13 8:32 am     Reply with quote

consumer wrote:
...Natural remedies?

Yeah, don't go in the river. Yes, I know that is SNOT very funny:-)

Another good thing to pack in the après kite post session gear bag besides nose spray and cold beers in the cooler is some rubbing alcohol. Put a drop in each ear after kiting in the river to kill any bacteria. The second benefit is you'll have some cleaning solution in the event you need to fix a hole on your kite with sail tape.

As far as the nose goes, Try a Neti pot...people love its results...

http://www.neilmed.com/usa/adword_np.php

I've never tried or seem anyone try one of those nose clamps that swimmers use...that might work.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSat Jun 29, 13 10:33 am     Reply with quote

The water bottle design works better then the tea pot

Mist isn't going to do much - need to crank some volume to change the ph in your head to kill that shit - twice a day

Also eat a lot of goose poo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Jun 29, 13 11:20 am     Reply with quote

Neti Pot - anytime i get off the river w a slight feeling of river water in my sinus i use the neti pot - works 100% of the time and no drugs or crap to inhale
www.Purestokesports.com

royce

Since 16 Apr 2013
49 Posts

PostSat Jun 29, 13 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

neti pot!!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Jun 29, 13 2:36 pm    Pollen! Reply with quote

I get hay fever a bit during May and river nose during May and June but not the rest of the year. I'm convinced the Columbia is lousy with pollen. I take Loratadine (Claritin) before and use the Neti squirt bottle twice when I get home. Works great!

hoarhey

Since 20 Jul 2008
63 Posts
the corridor

PostSat Jun 29, 13 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

I second the pollen and allergy cause of rivernose. Why is it that I can spend the same amount of time crashing in the river this week as I did last week and not get river nose this week? Pollen sits righ on the surface, so dillution isn't really the solution.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jun 29, 13 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

I get the river nose and middle ear infections when I kite, but not windsurf, probably because my kite crashes are more gnarly. The neti pot sounds nice - i'm gonna try that - right now I just tilt my head back in the shower until the water squirts up my nose. It makes me gag and yack a bit. I do that about 3 times and it works sometimes.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jun 30, 13 6:21 am     Reply with quote

[quote="Sasquatch"]
consumer wrote:

Another good thing to pack in the après kite post session gear bag besides nose spray and cold beers in the cooler is some rubbing alcohol. Put a drop in each ear after kiting in the river to kill any bacteria. The second benefit is you'll have some cleaning solution in the event you need to fix a hole on your kite with sail tape.

Good Advice
Many years ago I had a nasty ear infection in late August after a full summer of Gorge time. Went to the Dr. He looked in there an immediately commented "Your ear drum is completely covered with a strange fungus".
The Columbia isn't "The most polluted river on the planet, Period", but it's not bath water either.

dcfordo

Since 19 May 2011
60 Posts
The Dalles

PostSun Jun 30, 13 6:33 am    Nose clip Reply with quote

I get river nose that I would describe exactly as in the OP. And it only takes two or three head dunks.

I have completely eliminated the problem naturally with a kayaking nose clip.

If I don't wear it I don't sleep that night, so it is an easy choice. It is amusing that nose clips are so uncool that no one has mentioned them yet on this thread.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Jun 30, 13 8:03 am    Re: Nose clip Reply with quote

dcfordo wrote:
It is amusing that nose clips are so uncool that no one has mentioned them yet on this thread.

I already mentioned a nose clip...and now thinking back on the seasons of kiting, I've only seen a couple of people use them. It must be a rarity just like the gentleman who wears the motorcycle mask to protect his face from the sun.

I suspect more people use them than we see as they probably only put it on right when they launch and take it from immediately landing their kite. Glad to hear it works.

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostSun Jun 30, 13 9:24 am     Reply with quote

http://www.ewg.org/research/dishonorable-discharge/50-most-polluted-rivers-country

dcfordo

Since 19 May 2011
60 Posts
The Dalles

PostSun Jun 30, 13 3:35 pm     Reply with quote

Sorry Sasquatch. I missed that at the end of your post.

I only have trouble on the Columbia. I also kayak and I don't need the nose clip on those rivers. So ironically I use it for kiting, but not kayaking.

I doubt it is bacteria. The symptoms never last more than two days, which would be unusual for a bacterial infection. Although I don't have any allergies that I know of, this explanation seems the most plausible. Or maybe there is some chemical irritant in the water. But I would expect everyone to have trouble then.

I'll have to try that Neti Pot because I really don't like wearing the clip.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jun 30, 13 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

quenyaistar wrote:
http://www.ewg.org/research/dishonorable-discharge/50-most-polluted-rivers-country

20 year old data... Id be very curious to see current data and compare the two. I wonder if it's gotten worse or better. I wonder how long till the Columbia becomes like really, really bad rivers elsewhere in the world?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: