Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Buy a Surf/Kiteboard Shop
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Nov 08, 06 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

I buy my kites from New Wind in Hood River. They are really on top of things, and honor the 30 day cash back guarantee... I actually tried to buy Waroos from ASI last year but they didn't have the smaller sizes in stock.

I have put quite a few bucks into ASI though and GP. Bought boards at both places, bars/lines from both. A good way to support your local shop is to buy boardshorts, t-shirts, etc.. Its good profit margin in that stuff. The "Kiteboard Oregon" t-shirt from ASI is one of my favorites and an awesome design, I need some more mine is getting a little old.

One complaint I have had about ASI lately is they always seem to be out of everything. All the bar component type stuff that you really need from your local shop. Could just be a temporary problem though.

(Btw NateDogg's is a cool name.) Very Happy

JW

Since 28 Jan 2006
227 Posts
portland
Stoked

PostWed Nov 08, 06 4:54 pm     Reply with quote

ASI never has stock they always have to order it and you have to put a deposit down on it . is that a real store or the internet you mean i have to wate, have stock make sale stay in biz

Woodpig

Since 17 Oct 2006
30 Posts
Albany

PostWed Nov 08, 06 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Pkh new wind was great. I expected my Kite to take a day or 2 to arrive and I received it the very next morning. Super fast service and spent alot of time educating this newbie on the phone answering dumb questions..... cant wait to take lessons with them Wink didn't mean for this to be an advertisement but twin was right on.... Support your local shop. you never know when you have a problem and need something now not next week.

Coffee

Since 23 Jun 2006
29 Posts

PostWed Nov 08, 06 7:14 pm     Reply with quote

Ok. So according to www.portlandmaps.com the owner of ASI purchased the building and land on March 6th 2006. So I wonder who’s making some MAD MONEY now? If he get’s the asking price of $650,000 he’ll make a sweet $295,000 in eight month!!! Oh yea, that’s a lot tee-shirt sales!!!

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostWed Nov 08, 06 9:16 pm     Reply with quote

Coffee: Did you search by address? What is the address...? A lot of times portlandmaps.com is not updated...but who knows... I have other engines I can search public info. on. and transaction history, etc.

I agree with all of you, I spent my share of $ at ASI, in fact I volunteered there when I moved here and had no job. Tak was way nice and I go tto meet a buch of kiters through it..and they still gave me 20% off after I got a real job( only a couple of months but still) Anyways, of course people who have been kiting for a while and who upgrade kites everyear are going to buy cheap, wherever, whoever and of course whoever has the best Customer Service. When it comes down to it..its who will take care of you when something goes wrong. A lot of it comes from a feeling too... sometimes I just got the feeling they(asi) could care less if I bought a kite, sticker, or just walked by the shop. But, ho hating here, I just hope someone takes it over, or turns it into something similar. When selling kite gear at top price, you are only goin to sell it to unfamiliar kiters, (new-kiters, or parents buying for their kids.) I bought my share of full-price kites in my day. and with how fast kiting is growing, there should be new-kiters flocking through the doors in the next few years.
All good points, so....we'll see
In the meantime, anyone got the address?

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Nov 08, 06 10:12 pm     Reply with quote

I've spent my fair share of cash at ASI as well. Even though there prices were a bit high, like real high on some stuff. I like buying local and all that but seriously, what would you do buy a kite locally or drive ot to HR and buy it for $150 less?

It is definately nice to have a local shop for quick purchases though.

Last edited by pdxmonkeyboy on Wed Nov 22, 06 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 09, 06 1:51 am     Reply with quote

chanson wrote:
Coffee: Did you search by address? What is the address...? .....
In the meantime, anyone got the address?

532 SE Clay

FYI, zillow.com does not list commercial property Confused

ASI has always treated me great. Reminds me of my favorite Harley shop in NY. Always welcoming, great people working, and you can't leave without buying something!!

Times do change and even my old Harley shop had to alter it's management.

I wish everyone well.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Nov 09, 06 7:57 am     Reply with quote

chanson wrote:
Coffee: Did you search by address? What is the address...? A lot of times portlandmaps.com is not updated...but who knows... I have other engines I can search public info. on. and transaction history, etc.

You can tell the last time PMaps was updated by the date at the bottom ("Assessor Data Updated 11/6/2006"), we just updated it last night but the database is usually a few days old by the time it gets put into production.

Mark is listed as the owner of the property.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Nov 09, 06 11:16 am     Reply with quote

Eddie, yeah, zillow.com is for the birds....

No, j.k. I am trying search the title history...but pkh has it..

Well, we'll see what happens. Great location though.

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Nov 09, 06 11:42 am     Reply with quote

i think storm warning is for sale too.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Nov 09, 06 11:49 am     Reply with quote

ASI - You know what that place really needs, a 42" High Definition plasma flat screen mounted on the wall - throw in a nice 8 foot leather couch - maybe a coffee table w/ some peanuts and crackers...Just a little something to spice the place up a bit...I bet day in day out, you'll get someone at least, coming in not knowing what the fuck kiting boarding really is...They just came in to buy some shorts or maybe a t-shirt - and next thing you know, you got 'em watching some kickass kiteboarding vids. After all said and done, the dude might walk out with a trainer kite and maybe a few other extras...You just never know.
One more thing - Yes, Yes and Yes...."Support your local hood..."
Even if you walk in and cann't buy a kite cause you saw it cheaper online -big deal. At least buy a sticker...I bet even the smallest chunk of change helps out...
My Girlfriend runs a small business...Let me tell you this - it's not easy...!
Takes a lot of work, committment and it's not cheap...

skydiveblake

Since 28 Jun 2006
63 Posts
San Diego

PostSat Nov 11, 06 6:31 am     Reply with quote

Back when Mark owned ASI, it was a pretty cool vibe - this was 5 yrs ago or so. Kiting was pretty new, and they were super-stoked to be spreading the word. They tried to give everyone the impression that even the newbies would get a deal 'cause they were trying to grow the sport.

Then the New Guy bought the place. He'd swagger all over Stevenson being a freaking dickhead to the locals, claiming Stevenson was an ASI beach, even though no one had seen him there in a year. After damn near going to blows with 4-5 people, he had the audacity to proclaim himself the owner of ASI and demand some respect - I'm not surprised he lost business. What an idiot.

I don't know who owns it now, or what the crew is now, but that guy did ASI some damage, and I know several people that went to GP immediately. And I bet they stayed, too.

It's too bad, 'cause the ASI crew were good peeps.

JW

Since 28 Jan 2006
227 Posts
portland
Stoked

PostSat Nov 11, 06 7:52 am     Reply with quote

mark is the owner and has been the whole time. he is the one who drove everyone away if you know anthing. mark is the problem- ask his staff Twisted Evil Twisted Evil know the facts before you speak.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSat Nov 11, 06 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

true story, things were good before that nate dog dude came. we had a couch, a TV, magazines, and babes everywhere. i was only 13 but life was good. then he came, the chicks were first to go, white chicks, black chicks, book club chicks, highschool chicks, it was unbearable. the chicks took the couch and the tv with them and i had to quit.

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSat Nov 11, 06 1:24 pm    That crazy guy... Reply with quote

Yeah, tucker is right, that nate guy gets all the bitches. I wouldn't be too hard on him though...don't hate the player, hate the game ya know? He's just gettin his and livin the dream. I even heard he had a brass pole in his basement, and that the couch matched it perfectly. And the tv. And the bitches. Now thats an A Game

JNETTE

Since 02 Feb 2006
149 Posts
PORTLAND
Stoked

PostSat Nov 11, 06 10:49 pm    CHICS Reply with quote

YEAH NATEDOGG EVEN GETS THE ONES HANGING AROUND STEVENSON.....LATE AT NIGHT.....WANTING TO SKINNY DIP......AND JUST LOOKING FOR SOME FUN!!!!

TEE HEE Very Happy

JNETTE

Since 02 Feb 2006
149 Posts
PORTLAND
Stoked

PostSat Nov 11, 06 10:49 pm     Reply with quote

YEP NATEDOGG AS THE "A" GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: