Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

KITELOOPING FROM THE GATOR PIT
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 05, 06 9:24 am    KITELOOPING FROM THE GATOR PIT Reply with quote

After watching Ruben at Stevenson and the last vid thread, is it just better to delay before pointing the bar and get more heighth? It seems that I am just coming in way to hot on the smaller 15footers. Its taking a toll on the body. What are some of you local Gorge rats doing to stay alive for the next day. With my experience, the small 5 to 10footers and not that big a deal but with anything bigger than that, it is really hard on re-entry.
Any tips from you boys? Idea

Wally Gator

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSun Nov 05, 06 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

on short -20m lines...
wait till you're juiced
good in a gust but
still hooking up solid.
send it and go big off
a booter, huge would
be better. just before
the apex, pull full back
hand, get a yank but keep
full input & hope the kite
comes back up before
you come down. If so
ride away clean. if not
go to the beach and
cough up blood.

It's easier at the coast.

-Hein

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSun Nov 05, 06 9:21 pm     Reply with quote

deffintily get some more kick up if your hitting hard. swell works or just popping harder and waiting more before the loop. i dont know though about short lines making it easier. my 19s are waaay whippier on takeoff then my 23s. i would recomend learning on longer lines.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Nov 05, 06 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

From Ruben's site...

"Here is a little message from Holland, if it ain't Dutch it ain't much...hahaha anyways this is how to do a kiteloop in Holland!!

Step 1: Leave your brains at home!
Step 2: Make sure you've got enough speed!
Step 3: Aim for the kicker, which will put you up in the air a little higher!
Step 4: Edge hard and lift up your kite to about 11 o'clock
Step 5: Take-off and yank your kite troughout the window...
Step 6: Look over your shoulder and perform your backroll...
Step 7: Spot your landing and control kite...and ride away!

Good luck and keep in mind ''Just keep pulling""

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSun Nov 05, 06 10:06 pm     Reply with quote

Go BIG or go home...on a stretcher.

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 06, 06 1:03 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys! I absolutely love how you'all work your forum here at nwkite. You guys are really cool! You can actually ask a question and others are willing to help instead of bashing. Wish a couple of people from the Seattle forum would take heed and learn from this group. Very Happy Hein, yeah I think I might be starting the kite out in the wrong position. I'll try what you said. Tks

W

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Nov 06, 06 7:57 am     Reply with quote

Anyhoo, back to the discussion... Very Happy

I noticed that unhooked kiteloops can actually have less knee pulverizing landings. The kite loops faster and it much easier to land hot with your arms spread apart and your body crouched without the kite pulling you from your harness.

I don't land as many unhooked ones, but I think I'd rather not land than stick a bad landing and screw up my knees.

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 06, 06 8:20 am     Reply with quote

Yeah PKH,
It seems that you are right on the unhooked loop. From what I gather, I will have to break to cycle of doing the same thing over and over and unhook. I ride Slingers. Does the stock bar setup need to be modified for the oversheeting when unhooked or is it fine as they have set it up? Also, are you boys hooking up to the chicken with your liesh?

W

Teague

Since 10 Jul 2005
114 Posts
Really Windy Places
Stoked

PostMon Nov 06, 06 8:22 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Anyhoo, back to the discussion... Very Happy

I noticed that unhooked kiteloops can actually have less knee pulverizing landings. The kite loops faster and it much easier to land hot with your arms spread apart and your body crouched without the kite pulling you from your harness.

I don't land as many unhooked ones, but I think I'd rather not land than stick a bad landing and screw up my knees.

PKH I have to agree with you. I have (knock on wood) up to this point never had a bad smacker on any of my missed un-hooked kite-loops but have separated ribs and perf'd two ear drums with some of my hooked-in's going bad. Unhooked = way easier on the bod! Very Happy

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Nov 06, 06 9:14 am     Reply with quote

My problem is that on big unhooked moves, the bar gets ripped out of my hand Sad Maybe I'm just a pussy, or perhaps my hands have gotten tender from working at the office so much.
It's good to hear that KLs can be done without killing yourself in the process! I did a couple loops this year and was surpised at the pain involved even if I "landed" (I use the term loosely) them. My face stung and my ears were ringing on my first attempt and my knees hurt for 3 days on the one I stuck.

I wrote them off as tricks for the under 30 crowd but it seems time to buck up and go for it again.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Nov 06, 06 9:53 am     Reply with quote

One key to the unhooked loops is to depower your kite all the way. That way the kite flies fast and completes the loop quick and starts flying back up so you come in for a soft landing... rather than slow and grunty where the kite is just completing the loop when you land (much harder landing, and much harder to hold onto.)

I've had the bar rip out of my hands a few times, a little disturbing to crash while being drug by your leash, but not really that bad.

Worst unhooked wipeout I had yet was in Hatteras... I was using a new leash that was way too long... somehow mid unhooked kiteloop my board came off then my leash went between my legs and I dropped the bar... The kite yanked me into a backflip, then I am not sure which one of my testicles set off the quick release on the leash, but the snap of it happening on my boys was not pleasant.

Stood up after the splash, checked to make sure my manhood was still there, then looked up and saw my kite tumbling away (luckily, somebody ran and caught it.)

Very Happy

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostMon Nov 06, 06 10:55 am     Reply with quote

Damn Phil, maybe you need to start wearing a cup. Sounds intense.

Since we're on the topic...what do people think about a 5th line leash for unhooked moves vs. a suicide leash (connected to the chicken loop). It seems most people go with the suicide leash, but I know some people have gotten into some really nasty dragging situations that they were lucky to walk away from. A 5th line leash prevents dragging (but requires relaunching), however, my main concern is what happens if you the drop the bar in mid-air and the 5th line leash activates. Do you drop out of the sky or does the kite retain some of the lift on the way down? Anyone have a good idea of the pros and cons?

Thanks.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Nov 06, 06 11:24 am     Reply with quote

I've been suffering from the Knee problems as well. I'm going to be checking out bindings and some of the liquid force foot beds to absorb some of the impact. Try riding a wake board sometime, pull a loop, doesn't really matter how hard you come in, the landing is easy due to rocker and the cushy foot beds.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 06, 06 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

did you hear about the vampire who lost a fang?

he had Ginger-bite-us.... get it?

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Nov 06, 06 11:25 am     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
My problem is that on big unhooked moves, the bar gets ripped out of my hand Sad Maybe I'm just a pussy, or perhaps my hands have gotten tender from working at the office so much.

The issue I'm attempting to work through is not catching the bar in my teeth on hard & fast unhooked landings. I still have all my front teeth after playing competitive hockey for 15 years, and I would very much like to keep it that way. Very Happy

thanks for the help!

John

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Nov 06, 06 11:34 am     Reply with quote

drama posts deleted... plz keep the squabbles to PM's.... tanks! Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Nov 06, 06 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

genek - on the 5th line vs. suicide leash. I think if your using a C kite definitely stick to clipping off to the 5th line. Flat kites depower significantly when you let go of the of the bar and let it slide up the trim line, so you can get away with the suicide leash setup without too much worry.

That is assuming the bar is able to slide forward and depower... if your using a stopper ball, then its not going to depower.

Some of the newer bars have a spot that you can clip to so that when you drop the bar the sliding stopper will slide up the bar letting the kite depower....

With all of this though there is always a chance it won't work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: