Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

KITELOOPING FROM THE GATOR PIT
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Nov 06, 06 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

Ditto what PK said. The suicide leash is that suicidal on bow kites. Plus, most leashes have a quick release on them so if it hits the fan, you can break away from your kite. (and go chase it).

The problem with 5th line leashes is that (in my experience) they love to get all tangled up in everything because their not out of the way like a suicide leash is.

thealohakid

Since 09 Aug 2006
58 Posts
MAUI

PostTue Nov 07, 06 1:34 am    5TH LINE Reply with quote

I HAVE ALSO BUSTED MY EARDRUM USING A 5TH LINE LEASH BECAUSE IT DID WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO. I WAS TRYING TO HIT A NICE LOFTY HANDLE PASS AND WHEN I MISSED THE GRAB, THE KITE FLIPPED AND DEPOWERED, I FELL LIKE A ROCK. THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I USED THE 5TH LINE. I USUALLY AND ALWAYS SINCE THEN HAVE USED A SUICIDE LEASH

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostTue Nov 07, 06 8:37 am     Reply with quote

I have tested out the new Ozones and the suicide leash is the way they have gone from the get go. Shocked I thought that was a little strange being that flat kites are supposed to be the safest in the biz. Confused You actually have a small stainless steel ring that is atached to the chicken for connection point. If its really powered and you crash; It could mean a pretty wild ride tea bagg'in down wind.... I guess hey figured on advanced riders using their gear or somthing? Cool Seems pretty wild way to do it. Maybe a shorter suicide is the ticket? Idea

W

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostTue Nov 07, 06 2:05 pm    Re: 5TH LINE Reply with quote

thealohakid wrote:
I HAVE ALSO BUSTED MY EARDRUM USING A 5TH LINE LEASH BECAUSE IT DID WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO. I WAS TRYING TO HIT A NICE LOFTY HANDLE PASS AND WHEN I MISSED THE GRAB, THE KITE FLIPPED AND DEPOWERED, I FELL LIKE A ROCK. THIS WAS THE FIRST TIME I USED THE 5TH LINE. I USUALLY AND ALWAYS SINCE THEN HAVE USED A SUICIDE LEASH

Alohakid, you ride C kites I assume since you have a 5th line? I think Phil has a point that flat kites will depower quite a bit with a suicide leash, where as C kites will only depower a little. You had any problems since with getting dragged by your suicide leash??? I know that you should be able to pull the leash release in that situation and let the kite fly away, but from personal experience when your kite is looping and you're getting yanked sideways/backwards you might not always reach the release in time.

Thanks for the tips guys. I guess the main point is not to drop the bar!

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 08, 06 8:25 am     Reply with quote

Phil,
Are you talking about the new Naish bar? It does have a stopper that you have to actually use force pushing it to depower hence double depower. I was checking out bars online and didnt see the special connection point for the suicide leash.?

w

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Nov 08, 06 8:38 am     Reply with quote

No I meant the double trim line sliding stopper setups, like the Slingshot TD/Link bar, Best 07 Bar, Wiley Bar, etc.. Though the Naish bar it would seem has the same feature, just different implementation.

The idea is the sliding stopper will keep the bar powered until you unhook and let go of the bar, then the stopper disables and the bar is able to depower all the way. Here is a pic of the 07 Waroo bar that has this setup (I'm talking about the Handle Pass leash attachment point):

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/core/media/media.nl?id=3051&c=446037&h=b316caa6d1c246889ea2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: