Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anybody got a video of a drift launch?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Norestekite

Since 31 Mar 2013
5 Posts

Kook

PostMon May 06, 13 6:48 am    Anybody got a video of a drift launch? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anybody has taken a video of a drift launch in restricted shore line conditions?

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostMon May 06, 13 7:45 am     Reply with quote

I think the guys over at kitethebay.com had a video of drift launching from a boat. I'll see if I can round that up.

Link

They have a few different versions.

Dan

UPDATED: I'm in the Gorge from the 14th to the 23rd! If there is anyone interested in letting me kite with you, I'd be happy to take you snowkiting in Alaska!!

www.freeridekiting.com

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon May 06, 13 8:49 am    Drift at Rooster Reply with quote

Link

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostMon May 06, 13 8:51 am     Reply with quote

Ron that youtube is set private.

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 06, 13 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

Good find on that first vid from Kite the Bay. You might want to try to find one that shows how the lines are wrapped up. You may want to wrap your center lines a couple of extra times just in case. Or, kites that have the mini 5th line, you can pull that through so that your kite is in full depower mode. Another trick is to put a bit of water on the canopy so that the leading edge stays into the wind. It's not totally necessary, but it can help. Mostly, make sure your center lines have more tension than your rear lines and try to let them off evenly.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon May 06, 13 1:58 pm    Drift launch Reply with quote

The most important part of a drift is the line wrap for sure. If anything goes wrong and you have to abort you just self rescue.
The drift I did there in my hd vid at rooster on Saturday was in deep water current and weird wind.

In that setting I had to kick and swim to get out past the trees.

Drift launches are easy until something goes wrong. A lot, unfortunately, can go wrong. I've botched several because of not having enough clear area below the kite and or the kite lines being caught, or whateva.

It's an advanced skill and should be done with care,
R

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon May 06, 13 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

what we used to say as skydivers seems to apply here

it's really easy, till it's not...then you die Shocked

kitezilla

Since 22 Jun 2006
453 Posts
gorge
Obsessed

PostMon May 06, 13 6:16 pm     Reply with quote

In the video of the Cabrinha kite, you can see all the stuff that will try to tangle... the powerline adjuster balls, front line swivel, spring... even so, the IDS mini fifth line is a wonderful invention, allowing a much safer drift launch than most previous model kites, in that the kiter can tug on one or the other front line, as the kite drifts out, and by doing a little tug here and there, the kiter can exert some control over the inadvertant, early rotation of the kite... that is where problems can occur, even for an experienced drift-launcher...when the kite decides to rotate itself out of the "parked" position, before it gets all the way out.

So, keep an eye on the kite, even though your attention is focused mostly on the bar, unwinding and keeping the right tension on the lines. If the kite starts to rotate around, be sure to pull on the correct front line to get it back to the "parked-on-the-beach" position, before it rotates too far. The temptation is to try to get all the line off the bar, as fast as you can, especially when the kite looks like it wants to drift too far to one side or wants to rotate and catch wind. If you throw the lines off the bar in that case, what will most likely happen, is that the slack on the lines will let the kite rotate around really fast and then give you a good jerk on the bar... then, I guess you could say that you then have two "jerks" on the bar. ha, ha...

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon May 06, 13 10:23 pm     Reply with quote

I used to drift the way shown and discussed here but this launch can be botched. Unfortunately, the lighter the wind and thus the larger the kite, the more chance for success you have. Conversely, the stronger the wind and thus the smaller the kite you have, especially if there is chop, your success rate drops. A few years ago, someone showed me the exact same launch EXCEPT, you push the kite over on its back. In doing this, as the wind gusts harder and/or you put more tension on your lines, the trailing edge of the kite will dig under the water, anchoring the kite and exposing less of it. Wish I had a video but I don't. I'll have to make one some time. I have not had one failed drift launch since learning this three years ago. Try it some time on a mellow day to get used to it. It works great. Fool proof? Never with drift launching. It is a risky procedure for only advanced kiters, who are desperate enough to ride and who are also willing to except lost or trashed gear if it fails.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostTue May 07, 13 4:04 am    Drift Launch Prep is the set up for success Reply with quote

When I set up for this drift launch I had very little beach to check the lines. Luckily I had a patch big enough to set the kite down and then walk my lines out in the water. My kite was hot wrapped, bar and lines attached already, prior to checking them. I rechecked them and re wrapped them just to feel confident.

When I started the drift I was swimming and holding my kite's leading edge down facing into the wind.

Then the point of no return is letting the kite go. I let it go leading edge facing into the wind. I let it go when I knew that I had nothing that would tangle of catch the kite or lines.

I was in deep water and kicking and with my legs water polo style or egg beater kick and simultaneously letting out line. At one point my lines get tangled a bit and I have to quickly pull of a couple of loops off of the bar. Luckily no tangles and I was good, continued on until all 20mtrs of line were out.

At the point where my lines are out I had to steer the kite away from trees by fishing left and right and swimming. I was in the ponds deep in viet shlong territory and under heavy visual assault by VC during the whole launch, still have some ptsd from the amount of VC in the area.

Once the kite is out it's a simple water launch, but the wind was really flukey.

Drift launches are easier if you can stand up, but they get a little more interesting if you are in deep water.

Drift launches can open up some really nice kiting and cut down some drive time as well.

Pre wrap the bar, re check the lines, make sure you have enough room down wind, and if do have issues just self rescue.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue May 07, 13 6:20 am     Reply with quote

I am a very experienced kiter and I will only drift launch if I can stretch my lines out on land, then push the kite into the water as I get myself into the water. As the kite drifts down wind I make damn sure nothing wraps around the bar, or me. I always have depower rope pulled as far as it will go. In higher wind a LE into the wind hot launch is pretty typical and no big deal if depower is pulled and you have 100% clear water down wind of you. I just did this a week ago in high winds at 3 mile canyon with a 6m in high wind. I've seen, and experienced too many issues with fouled lines during the unwrapping process to feel like a drift with unspool is a good long term bet. What this means is there are certain spots I won't self launch from as I can't roll out lines to full length and check them first.

My two cents
Eric

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 07, 13 6:22 am     Reply with quote

Up here in Tacoma, at a difficult barnacle encrusted beach (Des Moines), we have success with this method:
Once the kite is pumped and ready with lines all attached, roll the lines onto the bar in a circular pattern (not the normal figure eight).
Attach the CL to your hook to insure you don't add in more loops and twists
Place the kite LE down, facing you
Clip the leash into the pump leash to keep it close to you
As you walk the shallows, un-wrap your line and gently play them out behind you
Once all the lines are out, release the kite and do a standard water re-launch

Actually, I'm still to nervous to try this so I get a kiter already on the water to come by and hold my kite while I play out the lines. All this is in waist deep water after the tide's come in. Once the lines are out I just tell him to let go.

Edit: Viento has too much seaweed for a drift launch.

melokitegirl

Since 28 Oct 2008
396 Posts
Where the wind blows
Obsessed

PostTue May 07, 13 6:31 am     Reply with quote

I think Mike & Janice do it all the time from their boat in The Keys. We should ask them to do a clinic when they get back to the Gorge. I want to learn how to do it also. Good videos, but I'd prefer to see it first hand and have someone there who knows how to do well.

mike_janice.jpg 

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 07, 13 7:56 am     Reply with quote

One questions and two comments:

Q: Is wrapping the lines in a circular patter better than a figure 8? I guess less chance for tangles?

C1: Personally, I would never, ever drift launch off of land, where I was floating in the river, especially with the currents, eddies and random underwater fishing nets (who knows what is floating unseen under that water). I would never want a session that bad.

C2: Eventually, drift launching, leading edge down in higher winds will fail regardless of how much experience you have. It is just a matter of when so be prepared.

Paul

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue May 07, 13 10:12 am     Reply with quote

SpaceRacer wrote:
One questions and two comments:

Q: Is wrapping the lines in a circular patter better than a figure 8? I guess less chance for tangles?

Paul

I am curious to see how people feel about wrapping in a circular pattern Vs the figure 8 too.

I am no expert but have drift launched Rowena several time this year.

My theory is that the figure 8 helps keep the lines on the bar and prevents multiple loops from coming off at one time. My buddy has thought that a circular pattern may be a better way to wrap.

One tip I got was to hook in when wrapping lines to prevent accidently messing something up. That method seems to work and give me some piece of mind.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue May 07, 13 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

Drift launching, as mentioned previously, can work great or it can go horribly wrong. Lots of good advice on this thread. I'll add a couple of tidbits. First, pre-rig your lines with your single line safety already deployed. That way, if something goes wrong, you have more chance of controlling the situation. Second, be prepared to hit the chicken loop release AND the safety leash release. Big opportunity here for your primary safety to fail. Third, if at all possible get your lines out before you start the drift launch process. Failing that, carefully feeding your lines into a five gallon bucket works well. Next choice is a turbolauncher. (Google it.) last choice is feeding the lines off a bar.

If your safety is pre-deployed, you should be able to very methodically unwind your bar one wrap at a time. Practice this FIRST in very light winds with lots of support.

Drift launching off of a boat and off of the shore are two different animals. Electric or CO2 pumps really, really help with a boat launch. With a boat launch, I leave the kite safetied to the boat rather than to me. That has saved me a nasty thrashing on several occasions...

If you drift launch enough, Something will go wrong eventually. Be prepared with your main safety and your leash safety. Very few people practice hitting the leash safety. If you're getting drug at Mach 2 you need to be able to reach the leash release without thought... It's a lot harder than hitting your chickenloop release. You might be spinning sideways, which can be VERY disorienting. If you are getting drug by your leash and can't hit the leash safety, you will probably die. So practice.

jackZ

Since 13 Apr 2008
355 Posts
Devon Alberta ca.
Obsessed

PostTue May 07, 13 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

Eric wrote:
I am a very experienced kiter and I will only drift launch if I can stretch my lines out on land, then push the kite into the water as I get myself into the water. As the kite drifts down wind I make damn sure nothing wraps around the bar, or me. I always have depower rope pulled as far as it will go. In higher wind a LE into the wind hot launch is pretty typical and no big deal if depower is pulled and you have 100% clear water down wind of you. I just did this a week ago in high winds at 3 mile canyon with a 6m in high wind. I've seen, and experienced too many issues with fouled lines during the unwrapping process to feel like a drift with unspool is a good long term bet. What this means is there are certain spots I won't self launch from as I can't roll out lines to full length and check them first.

My two cents
Eric

This is the way I have done it too .
I use my jet boat as well , I just anchor a short way from shore in the shallows and fasten the kite to the boat 90* to the wind and go back to the boat hook in and launch .
Drift launching scares me man !
JackZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: