Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Question of the day: Is this "tindy"?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Jun 21, 05 1:56 pm    Question of the day: Is this "tindy"? Reply with quote

Is it? Or do the dredded tindy zones (between your foot and the tail) only apply to the toe-side edge of the board?

Is this Tindy.jpg 

ReeferMadness

Since 21 Apr 2005
32 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Jun 21, 05 2:11 pm    Re: Question of the day: Is this "tindy"? Reply with quote

I thought they called that a "Tail Fish" (but i can't tell for sure from the pic) - instead of Stale fish - I am as guilty as anyone but i believe the only legit (styled out) ways to grab are between your feet or the nose or tail - nothing in between.

toe side back hand - Indy
toe side front hand (tweaked sideways) - mute
heal side back hand (boned) - Stale fish
heal side front hand (tweaked) - method

there are tons of others but those are basics...

Wind Slither wrote:
Is it? Or do the dredded tindy zones (between your foot and the tail) only apply to the toe-side edge of the board?

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 21, 05 6:14 pm     Reply with quote

REEFER MADNESS WINS THE QUESTION OF THE DAY!!!

Yes you correctly named the grab as a tailfish! There are actually a lot of

legit grabs that you can do but mute and indy are prolly the ones most

done kiteboarding. Tail Fish is just as bad as Tindy tho so DONT DO IT.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Jun 21, 05 9:19 pm     Reply with quote

Just say no to the trick police. Rolling Eyes

PostTue Jun 21, 05 10:10 pm     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
Tail Fish is just as bad as Tindy tho so DONT DO IT.

Hey, like it or not, there is such a thing as good style..... If your gonna grab make it legit and grab indy. Watching yourself in video of pics will help you realize what is bunk and what is dope.

the truth hurts dont it

PostTue Jun 21, 05 10:33 pm     Reply with quote

Dam, Im gonna be sure and stay away from any cameras, you guys would work me over like a cheap slut on prom night

PostWed Jun 22, 05 1:32 am     Reply with quote

LMAO Surprised

Kite Sailing

PostWed Jun 22, 05 6:10 am     Reply with quote

KiteKarl wrote:

Hey, go easy on Inept Fun. It’s not completely his fault that he is so caught up in his narrow minded world. He’s just young & impressionable, wanting to please others and follow the sheep to which ever slaughter house is open at the time. Snowboard & skate tricks are what sell TV commercial time so society has deemed them important. I had really hoped that kiteboarding could escape the very subjective parameters that skate & snowboarders put on themselves in an attempt to make mundane tricks seem important.

Here’s my narrow minded view: Kiteboarding is sailing first, jumps & tricks second. Ocean wave riding, long downwinders, and sailing with your buddies are the core aspects of the sport. The technical aspect of the sailing is best demonstrated in an event such as Kiter-Cross. Jumping & tricks are simply the “show off” factor, but many have made it the entire sport.

Kiting is about the freedom of sailing & yes, jumping too. So don’t kill my buzz with your subjective parameters. Keep them to yourself so we can all enjoy our time on & off the water.

PS How’s your wave riding Inept Fun? When’s the last time you left the slider and went to the coast to ride overhead waves??

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostWed Jun 22, 05 6:55 am     Reply with quote

Kite Sailing wrote:
KiteKarl wrote:

Hey, go easy on Inept Fun. It’s not completely his fault that he is so caught up in his narrow minded world. He’s just young & impressionable, wanting to please others and follow the sheep to which ever slaughter house is open at the time. Snowboard & skate tricks are what sell TV commercial time so society has deemed them important. I had really hoped that kiteboarding could escape the very subjective parameters that skate & snowboarders put on themselves in an attempt to make mundane tricks seem important.

Here’s my narrow minded view: Kiteboarding is sailing first, jumps & tricks second. Ocean wave riding, long downwinders, and sailing with your buddies are the core aspects of the sport. The technical aspect of the sailing is best demonstrated in an event such as Kiter-Cross. Jumping & tricks are simply the “show off” factor, but many have made it the entire sport.

Kiting is about the freedom of sailing & yes, jumping too. So don’t kill my buzz with your subjective parameters. Keep them to yourself so we can all enjoy our time on & off the water.

PS How’s your wave riding Inept Fun? When’s the last time you left the slider and went to the coast to ride overhead waves??

Damn straight! If I train my pet chicken to sprint and you dis it for not being able to sing along to Woops I did it again then screw you... Laughing

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Jun 22, 05 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

Your board is is a lot like a lady. When you start grabbing, you gotta know what your doing!

Breth, on the ikite forum tightend us up with this little gem. Mostly agress with Reefer and Inept...but it lists Dano's jump as a "Lein" grab. Anyone know who this Lein guy is?

Check out the grab chart at:

http://www2.worldpub.net/images/special/WK/grabindex1.swf

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 22, 05 3:27 pm     Reply with quote

Cool website and illustrative diagram, Slither - thanks for saving Dano's style-rep. I guess it's officially not a TINDY when you grab the area in back of the heels as opposed to the front side according to the diagram.

COOL STYLIN' LEIN JUMP, DANO. Cool

ReeferMadness

Since 21 Apr 2005
32 Posts
Seattle

PostWed Jun 22, 05 3:30 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
with Reefer and Inept...but it lists Dano's jump as a "Lein" grab.

I think they might of gotten it wrong.

Lien Air: Lead hand, heelside grab, board pushed in front of rider, back leg boned out. Named after Neil Blender/skater...

It is supposed to look like you are leaning over the board in the air ~ it looks cool on a snowboard but I'm not sure it translates as well kiting.

My two cents..

PostWed Jun 22, 05 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

Kite Sailing wrote:
Kiteboarding is sailing first, jumps & tricks second.

Keep tellin yourself that buddy. whatever makes you feel better on the inside right! I bet your waveriding style is........ well....... style-less. LMAO.

Inept, you da heavyweight rocka bro! Cool

Dont let the haters, green with envy, get ya down.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 22, 05 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

I actually went to the coast two weeks ago. I dont see what the big deal is. I really dont give a shit if you want to do lame tricks with gay style.

What does me likeing sliders and doing wakestyle have to do with that being a Tindy. I know obviously I dont do Tindy's because of my snowboarding background, and a Lein look 100 percent different than a tindy.

But why you have to talk shit? I can talk shit with the best of them, Im a kid, so why dont we just leave the subject alone. Tindys are gay, and that is what that is.

Maybe you can SLASH WAVES or some shit like that, and if thats what ur into than thats fine. Have fun with your waves, Ill have fun with my sliders, and be proud of the fact that I have good style.

See you on the coast, except you will be slashing the waves and I will be using them as kickers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Jun 22, 05 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

Dudes... these kinds of debates cannot be won... go on kiteforum.com and you will find hundreds of threads like this that go on and on for 10 pages... its just pointless to continue.

Remember, the best kiteboarder in the world is the one having the most fun, because having fun is the whole phucking point!

So do your big air, tindy, or slider, or slash your wave... but don't forget to have fun.

Anyway, its gunna be windy tomorrow so I better get to sleep. Lates! Thumb's Up

G-Unit_kiter

PostWed Jun 22, 05 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

Kitesailing- you are an embaresment to kiteboarding. You should stop kiting and windsurf. Perhaps why kiteboarding is like skateboarding and snowboarding because we ride a board. And it isnt sailing because we have a kite, not a sail. And no, kiter-cross doesent demonstrate kiteboarding because kiteboarding isnt lame.

PostWed Jun 22, 05 10:47 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Dudes... these kinds of debates cannot be won... the best kiteboarder in the world is the one having the most fun

In the literal sense, the best kiteboarder is the one with the smoothest style and sickest tricks.

Watch Felix Pivec (airush hawaii) ride a wave or do a backside 7 and tell me thats not f'in style!!!!!!

STOP THIS DENINAL OF GOOD STYLE.... IT EXISTS. period.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: