Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

measuring craigslist scams?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 31, 06 7:14 am    measuring craigslist scams? Reply with quote

i recently listed our house at the coast for rent on craigslist, and am paranoid about all the scams (based on mark's experience)... what are some good techniques to tell if it's on the level?
1) phone call? (is that good enough?)
2) physical address?
3) credit card info?

here's one of the replies I got... i'll email him back, but was just wondering if you guys/girls had any ideas. BTW...one of the things that triggered this is that it is a house, and says house all over the add and the website.

--------------------------------
Hello Sir\ Ma
I come across your ad at craigslist and am highly intrested in renting this condo for 10 day....as my weeding is coming up by 20th of NOV,i want to come to the state on vacation and honey moon.....i want to book my vacation to 22nd of NOv..i want to know maybe you condo will be available?and i want to know how much it cost?the mode of payment?payment detail?the condition of the house and so on..if this condo is available plz kindly get back to me with the information require...
Michael

crucifunkin

Since 31 Aug 2005
37 Posts

PostTue Oct 31, 06 7:37 am     Reply with quote

scam... I make that judgement by the poor use of the english language. If you reply they most likely will send you payment in full with fake money orders and ask you to send them the difference.

Whenever I see replies with crappy English I assume scam.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Oct 31, 06 7:44 am     Reply with quote

Yes I agree. Bad spelling is a tip off. I also look for the email address. If it's from Yahoo my scammer alarm goes off. If you do take a money order take it to the bank tell them you are not sure if its real. It will take 1 week to process the money order ect. If it clears after that it SHOULD be good.

If your gut tells you something smells bad it probably is bad.

Good luck!
Mark

www.naishkites.com

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Oct 31, 06 9:10 am     Reply with quote

The use of "sir" or even worse "ma" time to stop reading and move on.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 31, 06 9:16 am     Reply with quote

i emailed back in hopes of contributing to the images of money orders.

the weird thing is that it's for a rental. do you suppose he'll cancel and want a refund or something?

Last edited by tinyE on Tue Oct 31, 06 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 31, 06 9:16 am     Reply with quote

I'd say scam on this one... I've read on other forums that the fake international cashiers checks can take a month to show up as bad after cashing them... I don't know that for a fact, but it's seems consistant with some of the international banking I've done.

Nak

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostTue Oct 31, 06 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
I'd say scam on this one... I've read on other forums that the fake international cashiers checks can take a month to show up as bad after cashing them... I don't know that for a fact, but it's seems consistant with some of the international banking I've done.

Nak

After talking the fraud division of USBank they assure me that they would catch bad moneyorders after 1 week. I agree that I would wait even longer just to be safe. Also know if its fake you may get a call from the Feds as you have been involved in a Felony! Shocked Make sure to keep your emails so you can show a path and keep them off your back.

www.naishkites.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue Oct 31, 06 9:47 am     Reply with quote

I think requesting a phone number and talking to the person would be a good way to get a feel for if it is a scam or not.
You can always ask for references and a steep deposit if your worried. Lastly, I would never rent my vacation house to anyone who talks like a first year customer service rep from new dehli.

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostWed Nov 01, 06 4:22 pm     Reply with quote

I am not sure about this. I have received A LOT of scamming email, but a dead give away is if they want to over-pay you, and have you send the rest of the money by Western Union to someone else. I would however be very cautious on this one Smile

A.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 02, 06 7:04 am     Reply with quote

as predicted...

"Hello Brett
The price is okay...i am not familar with paypal...i will like to pay via money order...it will be sent express...so you get it fast........
Mike"

Definately a scam....i was tempted to let him go ahead and send it, but not sure I want this guy to have my home address. How can I get his money order without letting him know where I live? Twisted Evil

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostThu Nov 02, 06 9:00 am     Reply with quote

FlyinElvis wrote:
as predicted...

"Hello Brett
The price is okay...i am not familar with paypal...i will like to pay via money order...it will be sent express...so you get it fast........
Mike"

Definately a scam....i was tempted to let him go ahead and send it, but not sure I want this guy to have my home address. How can I get his money order without letting him know where I live? Twisted Evil

Yeah thats a scam!
You will have to give a house or business address to get your "check" I am not worried that he will show up. If he does he will get a beat down Twisted Evil

You should upsell the house and see how high you can get the check.

www.naishkites.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Nov 02, 06 10:00 am     Reply with quote

just block sender, who has time to waste on the scammers?

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Nov 02, 06 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
FlyinElvis wrote:
as predicted...

"Hello Brett
Mike"

Yeah thats a scam!
You will have to give a house or business address to get your "check" I am not worried that he will show up. If he does he will get a beat down Twisted Evil

i was thinking that I would throw in a rental surfboard for some ungodly amount. Should we have a contest to see who can get the biggest check out of a scammer?

You should upsell the house and see how high you can get the check.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: