Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

wetsuits
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 30, 06 3:41 pm    wetsuits Reply with quote

i'm looking to get a new wetsuit this year... planning on surfing on the days there's no wind at the ocean. Can someone give me some recommendations? I haven't spent a lot of time in the oregon surf...when i'm kiting, i try to stay as dry as possible. Smile

I'll take suit recommendations, but I'm more interested in construction (i.e. glued seams vs. taped, etc...). I like the idea of zipperless...but haven't worn one yet.

this one seems like a good deal:
http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=111-D126F03&Category_Code=body-glove-wetsuits&Store_Code=WW&cid=nextag

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Oct 30, 06 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

For the most part, I think all the higher end wetsuits are going to be pretty similar, so it's really up to personal preference. Fully liquid glued seams are the "best" thing I've seen out there (overall they seem the most waterproof at the seams and the strongest), though my taped Rip Curl 4.3 does me just fine. Haven't ever played with anything zipperless, so I'll be no help there either, but I think the main thing to take into consideration if you're spending a few hundred bucks is the thickness. I think most coastal guys will tell you that you're best off with a 5.4/5.4.3 or thicker (especially if you're going to be "sitting" in the water). Brand wise, I'd look into O'neill, Rip Curl, and Body Glove.

My next investment for this winter is a drysuit, but I'm just kiting...

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 30, 06 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

I have a 5/3 Neil Pryde zipperless wetsuit. Let me be the first to tell you how much it sucks getting in and out of this thing. Honestly, I think zippered wetsuits have come along way, and zipperless entry is old technology.

Not to mention the neck hole has torn open down the shoulder from the many times that it's given birth to me at the end of a session. I hate it!

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostMon Oct 30, 06 4:57 pm     Reply with quote

There is one Rip Curl factory outlet on the west coast........it is in San Clemente near the main Rip Curl sales office.

The name of the outlet is TRESTLES SURF OUTLET and it has really good deals on suits.
I was just there 3 weeks ago and they had 5/4/3 mm and 6/5/4 mm hooded suits for only $125......reg price is $249 on those suits.

I am kicking myself for not grabbing one but I have a new XCEL suit that is amazing.

My guess is they still have a few of those left if you call information and ask them.
It's only $10 to ship a suit from there.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 30, 06 5:21 pm     Reply with quote

I mainly use two different suits, a 5/4 full hooded zipperless ripcurl for winter and for surfing year-round, and a 4/3 hoodless Hotline for kiting in the summer. You'll need more thickness for surfing since you're just sitting so much, or getting dunked. Most of the local surf crew here use Rip Curls, Hotlines or Excels. Attached hood is mandatory, and 5/4 is normal. The Surfline website currently has a new article with all the 2007 suits, and there's some great new innovations, especially with the easier entry systems. But when I really want to know what's up I consult with Josh at Cleanline in Seaside. In 20 years, he's never steered me wrong and knows what it takes to stay warm.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 30, 06 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

i have a rip curl 6/5/4 zipperless fbomb w/ built in hood, that i got this year and absolutely love it. IMHO the Rip curl elastomax is more flexible than neoprene used in other wetsuits. I thought there was even a difference form last years ripcurl 6/5/4 that i tried on to size. I owned an o'niel 5/4/3 before and thought it was way too restrictive.

I bought a Large as opposed to large-small to make it not so quite a tight fit, and like i said it is perfect. It is easy to get on, it is super flexible and I can go kite for 3-4 hours come in, and be able to peel it off with little to no difficulty.

I bought this suit for early spring and late fall conditions in the gorge, but also use it in the ocean. I swear by the elastomax.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostMon Oct 30, 06 6:18 pm    Suits Reply with quote

I would say that 80 percent of surfers from Seaside down to Eureka use Xcel wetsuits. They are simply warmer, lighter,more flexible, last longer and have the best warranty. Hotline Phoenixs are pretty light and warm too, as well as the Body Glove Vapors. Oneill Psychos are good as well. The only ones I don't like are Rip Curls. I had a fireskin last year and the seams kept coming apart. THey did fix it for me but I was very unimpressed with the durability. The F-bombs look a little better, but if you are going to spend 300 to 400 dollars on a suit I would get one that will last longer than one season.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Oct 30, 06 6:29 pm     Reply with quote

Oneil Psycho II...so toasty, so flexible, ahhhhh.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 30, 06 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Oneil Psycho II...so toasty, so flexible, ahhhhh.

yeah I was amazed, glued seams I think are like having an extra mm of neoprene.

my only complaint about the psycho2 is the neck seems to have stretched a bit. I can get it tight but on big wipeouts it leaks. when its really cold (like now) I wear the tank 1mil with attached hood and neck gasket. that keeps the water out nice.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostMon Oct 30, 06 6:47 pm     Reply with quote

I bought a 5/3 ripcurl with glued seams last winter and I love it. My surfin bud has a zipperless and he is jealous. He's basically a contortionist now getting in and out of that thing. It's also starting to rip because of how it stretches when he puts it on. Anyway my ripcurl is easy to get into and rarely flushes. So much so that I don't pee in it cuz if I do it just sits inside the suit.

broadbandito

Since 26 Apr 2005
342 Posts
CSO headwaters
WheatHead

PostMon Oct 30, 06 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

Alternatively, just wear an old 4/3 all year but make sure you drink heavily beforehand so you can pee after every wipeout during your session. You know that's what Homer would do.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 30, 06 8:20 pm     Reply with quote

Scribble wrote:
rarely flushes. So much so that I don't pee in it cuz if I do it just sits inside the suit.

i can atest to that as well and i dont piss in mine either for the same reason.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostMon Oct 30, 06 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

broadbandito wrote:
Alternatively, just wear an old 4/3 all year but make sure you drink heavily beforehand so you can pee after every wipeout during your session. You know that's what Homer would do.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil OR PUT SOME SORT OF SYNTHETIC FUR AROUND THE NUT SACK AREA TO MAKE EVERY MAN FEEL @ HOME... Laughing Laughing Laughing SHIT MAYBE EVEN A LOVE TUBE ..OF COURSE IT WOULD HAVE TO BE FLEXIBLE.... Laughing TROLL

ohdoctor

Since 31 Oct 2006
1 Posts

PostTue Oct 31, 06 10:25 am     Reply with quote

Hotline anyone? they have an outlet in Santa Cruz, but you'll spend your discount in gas. The hotlines are virtually bullet proof, I haven't used Rip Curls but I have friends who have complained about a short life span- ripping and seams falling apart. Don't pee in your wetsuit after a heavy night of drinking.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 31, 06 10:50 am     Reply with quote

scottnorby wrote:
There is one Rip Curl factory outlet on the west coast........it is in San Clemente near the main Rip Curl sales office.

The name of the outlet is TRESTLES SURF OUTLET and it has really good deals on suits.
I was just there 3 weeks ago and they had 5/4/3 mm and 6/5/4 mm hooded suits for only $125......reg price is $249 on those suits.

I am kicking myself for not grabbing one but I have a new XCEL suit that is amazing.

My guess is they still have a few of those left if you call information and ask them.
It's only $10 to ship a suit from there.

I think i found them
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=89908281

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Oct 31, 06 11:21 am     Reply with quote

Like I said, I've got a Rip Curl (with Elastomax) and have used it for around a year now without any problems (just kiting though). Tucker and JP (he's had his for 2+ years and surfs too) both ride Body Gloves and they too seem to be holding up just fine. I just wanna wear boardshorts again!!! Very Happy

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 31, 06 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

Does anybody know anything about these wetsuits? There was a thread on Kiteforum with some rave reviews...

http://www.radiator.net/general/index.aspx

It seems like these might be the ultimate, but it would be nice to hear some first hand reviews...

Nak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: