Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sunday Wind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jts

Since 03 Mar 2005
26 Posts
gorge

PostSun Mar 13, 05 7:30 am    Sunday Wind Reply with quote

George/NWW is calling for 14-18 at Sauvies, and dimishing 18-24 at roosters, which lines them up pretty good come afternoon...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 13, 05 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Looks like Rooster is already cranking... Sauvies doesn't look like as much a sure thing as yesterday, but here's hoping!

jts

Since 03 Mar 2005
26 Posts
gorge

PostSun Mar 13, 05 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Just wondering what factors you are considering with Sauvies that makes it less likely today than yesterday? I guess, what made it more of a sure thing yesterday? Sauvies has always been tough for me, so I usually just head for Kalama instead to catch Northerlies.

hbrico

PostSun Mar 13, 05 10:08 am     Reply with quote

Yesterday Sauvies was already windy and today Rooster is windy, you go where the wind is usually unless you like to sit on the beach and wait; which sometimes cannot be avoided. Hopefully suavies will get going this afternoon as yesterday was very good. Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 13, 05 10:08 am     Reply with quote

This is my favorite forecast for Sauvies, I check it before anything else:

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?model=eta&Submit=Change+Source&state=OR&sta=KSPB

Look at the peak number during the day (usually at 1-4pm), if it's over 10mph then its usually a good bet that its going to happen, below 10mph less likely. 12mph or above, its on!

Yesterday forecast showed a peak of 12mph, and Scappoose sensor was showing 12mph+ most of the day. That's pretty unusual, usually it might show some wind in the morning, then die around noon, and then come back up around 2-3pm.

Other factors to watch for are strong east winds, that usually screws up Sauvies. You might see a good North wind forecast for Scappoose, but if there is also a strong east wind forecast, then Sauvies might not go.

McClean's forecast is great for seeing the days ahead, and especially for the Gorge, but I think for Sauvies and the coast, its not that accurate.

Wave

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSun Mar 13, 05 10:20 am    Another good link Reply with quote

http://www.tripcheck.com/roadcond/details/weath6.htm

Very Happy

PostSun Mar 13, 05 10:51 am    thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and links, especially the Bridge link, that is good one, what wind speed do you look for correlated to SI on the bridge sensor? Since it is high off the ground, do you look for at least 15mph or so?

- Jason

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSun Mar 13, 05 11:16 am    Bridge link Reply with quote

For epic days the bridge will read 15-25 range with 15 - 18 regular day. It is pretty good at what is actually happening on the water.

Well off to Rooster
See you on the water

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 13, 05 12:18 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah that tripcheck one is a sweet sensor, maybe we can get Mike S. to parse that and add it to nwwind.net.

Wunderground.com has a fire station sensor that is updated every 15 minutes or so... they also have a pretty accurate forecast for Scappoose.

gmclean

PostSun Mar 13, 05 5:42 pm    Wind Forecast for Sauvies Reply with quote

My attempts to forecast for Sauvies have been pretty weak so far. Without a sensor or site reports it is hard to know what really happened so it has been tough to correlate weather patterns to good wind at Sauvies. I have learned a lot already by reading this thread but it would be great to get feedback on what the wind was like on any given day.

I have set up a forum on http://www.nwweather.com specifically for wind reports organized by day and it would be great to get some kiting reports from Sauvies or any other sites.

I am not here to try and divert posts from nwkite. If you prefer to post reports here, I will start paying attention!

Thanks

George McLean

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 13, 05 8:13 pm     Reply with quote

George! Nice to see you here, thank you for providing nwweather.com.

Just to let you know, Sauvies did go today. Probably about 15mph average from 2:30pm to 6pm. I can understand the difficulty in forecasting this spot, predicting it is still sort of a black magic that none of the regulars have completely mastered. Most of the time you really don't know until you get there. Very Happy

I setup this site so that we could all have a place to chat about these sorts of things, its only been running for a week but we've already gotten quite a bit of traffic, so it looks like its going to be successful. I wish you the same luck with your feedback boards, and I always recommend your site to friends (its also linked at the top of this site under "Wind Forecast".)

With nwweather.com, nwwind.com, the Yahoo nwkite group, and now nwkite.com ... it seems we have a great community of free online resources now. I'm sure we can all work together, after all at the end of the day we are all just wind junkies, no?

Thanks again for the service! Wave

mikes

PostSun Mar 13, 05 8:22 pm    Yea I can add that, I think... Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Yeah that tripcheck one is a sweet sensor, maybe we can get Mike S. to parse that and add it to nwwind.net.

That page looks like it should be easy to scrape, I found a little widget that I use to get the Bellingham Bay cam wind, this should much the same. Where should it go in the order the stations are listed on the my SI-Kalama page ( http://nwwind.net/wind.php?region=8 ) ?

Mike

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 13, 05 8:25 pm     Reply with quote

Hmm how about between Scappoose and Portland... what are you going to call it? Fremont Bridge?

Curious, how often does your service look for fresh data?

Btw, you are the man! Thumb's Up

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostSun Mar 13, 05 11:40 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
Hmm how about between Scappoose and Portland... what are you going to call it? Fremont Bridge?

OK and I guess so, it's there.
pkh wrote:

Curious, how often does your service look for fresh data?

I'm checking that one with a job that runs every 5 minutes, not sure how often the tripcheck page updates

pkh wrote:

Btw, you are the man!

Just pump me some beers if I ever show my face at SI

PostMon Mar 14, 05 7:29 am     Reply with quote

Mike -

These forums are great for pooling knowledge. nwkite.com looks like it will be really useful for kiters.

Quote:
Just to let you know, Sauvies did go today. Probably about 15mph average from 2:30pm to 6pm. I can understand the difficulty in forecasting this spot, predicting it is still sort of a black magic that none of the regulars have completely mastered. Most of the time you really don't know until you get there.

Thanks for the report. I saw Scappoose only got up to 10mph but Kelso was quite a bit stronger with averages in the upper teens and gusts to the low 20s. I don't know if that means anythng or not! If I had to guess, the best setup for Sauvies would be a northerly surface gradient and weak upper level flow. I will try and put together a page on nwweather like the jones beach page that tracks trends that might be relavent to predicting wind at Sauvies. If anyone has any input that would be great.

George

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Mar 14, 05 10:29 am     Reply with quote

Mike -
Looks sweet, thanks again! I think the TripCheck updates every 15 minutes or so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: