Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Stink Eye and Stupidity at the lower Hatch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostMon Jun 20, 05 9:20 pm    Stink Eye and Stupidity at the lower Hatch Reply with quote

Hey Kiters,

Really amazing session at the lower Hatch today from 5:30 to about 7:30. Launched at the Spit and kited up.

As a mostly former, but still occasional windsurfer--21 years--I do know what I am doing and very much respect the rights of anyone having a good time on the water.

As it went today, most sailors were up at the Hatch proper, whereas I stayed below the gravel cove at the east end. There was great swell and nobody on them. Sure enough, within about 10 minutes sailors noticed somebody was having a good time and down they came. Most everyone was cool. Except this one guy who kept trying to pinch me down wind, glaring at my lines, then gybing RIGHT UNDERNEATH my lines such that I had to raise my kite pronto. I kept my cool and told him, "Way too close," but he just continued being a jerk and really putting himself in danger.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am not going to be driven away by someone acting like this. I stayed put and continued my session. It was a bummer having to keep an eye out for him though. He was really a hazard.

I suppose I am wondering if any of you have encountered this? Seems like most windsurfer/kiter interactions are pretty positive these days, but I suppose both sports will have the occasional jerk. I guess what rips me a bit is that I chose not to kite right in the middle of the windsurfer's groove, but to show some respect and stay east of the main pack.

Eric
Hood River

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Jun 21, 05 2:37 am     Reply with quote

Was it THE DANGLER?!!!! Twisted Evil Laughing

PostTue Jun 21, 05 5:34 am     Reply with quote

Eric,

Some people don't know how to share! Fortunately most of the Hatch Sailors are pretty cool, especially when they run into kiters on the water whom they recognize from years of windsurfing. I guess the best you can do is to rip it up and hold your own since it is not like Kiteboarding is the new sport on the block anymore. Just be polite and do your best to watch out for the occasional idiot, and remember that your probably causing him a lot more anguish than he is too you. Kinda fun to watch people get all worked up over nothing!

Bam!!!

PS: See ya out there this afternoon, although now that school it out I will be hard pressed to beat you onto the water for the rest of the summer.

PostTue Jun 21, 05 7:07 am     Reply with quote

Good advice Bam.

<<although now that school it out I will be hard pressed to beat you onto the water for the rest of the summer>>

True, but I need to go twice as much as you to be half as good.

Eric

PostTue Jun 21, 05 7:12 am     Reply with quote

Ha, with my banged up knee everyone is going to pass me right up this summer... Arrggghhhh...

Catch you on the water soon! Bam

PostTue Jun 21, 05 8:50 am     Reply with quote

I love that area of the hatch. when everyone is up at the point there are always clean waves to be found down there.

How did you launch/land east of the point?

I two am a former pole boarder (still get on the old stuff when its nuken or at the coast) and find there is still some 'home turf' attitude with some of the windsurfers no matter where your at.

I think you all are right....keep your cool enjoy the day and remember there are jerks everywhere regardless of how they choose to move across the water.

its just like the ski/snowboard thing on the mountain. there is always somebody with a itch to scratch.

Ryan

PostTue Jun 21, 05 8:56 am     Reply with quote

This really makes me mad! I'm furious! What really pisses me off about the situation described above is that I wasn't there to rip up the good wind and swells at the lower hatch with you Eric! The obnoxious windsurfer would only be a minor nussiance.

Spencer

PostTue Jun 21, 05 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Hey Ryan,

Jimmy Dorsey clued me in on a little south coast July trip!? Gots room/floorspace for a wounded kiter/sailor/surfer with a camera to document the fun?

PM me with the details, Bam... out!

PostTue Jun 21, 05 9:14 am     Reply with quote

Don't worry Spencer, the forecast was for light wind so it really wasn't windy. The 50 or so windsurfers at The Hatch were not having any fun. I passed Eric as I sailed through (I forgot to give him the windsurfer stink eye). It was really not very crowded at the lower end so I think there was room for all.

Hopefully you can get out this week, it looks like summer in the gorge has started.

George McLean
www.nwweather.com

PostTue Jun 21, 05 9:16 am     Reply with quote

Think about it in regardes as being related to something like trees falling in the forest Spencer!

Now go cut down your own tree this afternoon! I'll be there helping...

Bam

PostWed Jun 22, 05 1:35 am     Reply with quote

Just stay outta my way or ill spray your ass if you get close enough Laughing

wanker

PostWed Jun 22, 05 6:01 am     Reply with quote

There you go giving away all the good spots.

You and your big mouth.

All forums must DIE DIE DIE

tc

PostFri Jun 24, 05 7:48 am     Reply with quote

wanker wrote:
There you go giving away all the good spots.

wanker, you are either like 12 yrs old or very new to the corridor... that is SO NOT a secret spot. There are way more loose lips giving away secrets from people at the launch sites face-to-face than on forums.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: