Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kite airplane travel: bag size limits?
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:15 pm    kite airplane travel: bag size limits? Reply with quote

This is a question for anyone who has flown on an airplane recently for kiting travel. I just bought a DaKine BTS bag:
http://www.bigwinds.com/store/product_detail.asp?intProductID=1103

The problem is the airlines (in my case US Air) have limitations on bag size.

On the one hand, they say they don't allow anything that's over 62 inches (L + W + H) without an $80 charge, and absolute max of 80".
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/baggage/baggagepolicies.aspx

On the other hand, they have exceptions for all different kinds of sports, many of which there is no way the equipment would meet these size restrictions:
http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/baggage/specialitems.aspx

I just talked to a guy at Big Winds who says he travels a lot and has never been hassled with similarly sized kite bags. Does anyone else have experience with this? Anyone have any friends working in the airline industry that can tell me what the real deal is?

I've also heard that it's a good idea to say the stuff is Golf equipment (don't say it's a board or surf board because that's a definite charge or disallowed). I would try saying it's skis but it's hard to pull that off when you're going to the Caribbean!

At this point, if I split my BTS bag in two (a handy feature of the bag), I will meet the max limits, but will still be charged $80 per bag(!) according to their "official" rules. Lame...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

Man we should create a airline baggage FAQ and just post a link... this is a popular topic. Very Happy

Um my guess is you would get charged for that bag... sorry that the Big Winds guy told you otherwise. If you can tell the airline its a golf bag(s) then you can avoid the charge, but they may not believe you.

If you can return it I would... then get a NSI, Best, or Slingshot golf bag. Or get a real softshell golf bag that will fit your board. Golf bags are on the exception list... I have been on probably a dozen trips now with my NSI Golf Bag and never charged. Don't lie to security about whats in the bag, but when the airlines ask say its a "golf bag."

Remember to keep it all under 50lbs.

Its weird Dakine would make a bag where the whole point is to keep it underweight, weight isn't the problem its the dimensions.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 25, 06 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

Ditto, I would take the bag back. We used to use the Da Kine Airwagon and were charged $80+ each flight...Golf type bags are the only way to go!

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 3:40 pm    so whats the verdict? Reply with quote

Interesting. I just bought a Dakine Air Wagon, and was planning on using it on my trip to SPI over Thanksgiving....So, all agreed, return the bag?

I was looking for a nice bag to carry a bunch of gear(girlfriend and I) on kite trips....thought this was perfect (1 bag=2 mini-quivers), but maybe not.
So how does the size of the kite "golf-bags" compare to the Dakine kite-specific bags...?

thanks

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 25, 06 5:05 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Chanson, that's why we originally bought an Air Wagon also (medium size) because we figured one bag was better than two - definitely not the case with airlines. They see that huge bag (definitely overweight with two complete sets of gear) and automatically charge. Even the skycaps usually turned us away or charged for the airwagon. Some of our friends use real golf bags, but we've found the NSI bags carry a bit more.

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostWed Oct 25, 06 5:51 pm     Reply with quote

Just came back from Maui and used two Best Golf bags and had no problems. We also have an Izzo Golf bag that works great if your board is under 130cm. (froogle it). Only problem with the Izzo bag is that it has no padding at all so be sure to wrap your board in a towel or blanket to help protect it. We have been hassled with the Liquid Force coffin bag because it's too recognizable as a water sports company.

Other tips are to pack light (45 lbs), get there early, check in outside, tip the porter and smile a lot. Well, really, have your better half smile a lot.

Tony

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 26, 06 6:34 am     Reply with quote

my case is bigger than that.... i don't have any troubles at the curbside...occassionally, i'll have to pay the extra weight fee, but not for size. I do throw a golf club or two in though... if the conditions aren't right, I drive golf balls into the water.

jimej

Since 26 Oct 2006
1 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Oct 26, 06 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Margy and I have traveled with the NSI Deceiver bag for the past couple of years. Have taken it on both domestic and international trips with; Alaska air, Delta, Continental, American, Hawaiin air and United. Have only had to pay extra for it once. That was coming home from the Dominican Republic last July and it was because of size (bag was to big), they didn't care what was in it, and the bag was under weight.
The bag itself works great, between it and a large duffel bag we have traveld with up to three boards and seven kites. With this much gear weight distribution is the only issue. We also always seem to use a kite bag as a carry on. I've found that if I wrap two kites together (usually my 16 and Cool and carry them on the plane this helps lessen the weight from the bags.
Happy travels Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Jim

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 8:05 am     Reply with quote

Cool, thanks.

I am past my 30-day mark with Big Winds, but I am going to call and see what they can do. Hopefully they will take it back and get an NSI deciever on order or something..

Thanks for the info.

Anyone want to buy an AirWagon? Laughing

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostThu Oct 26, 06 8:29 am     Reply with quote

Great advice, everyone. Thanks! (I now see the past posts by searching for airline instead of airplane like I originally tried).

So it sounds like the NSI Deceiver has worked on every airline but Continental. Has anyone by chance had any luck with a Best or Slingshot golf bag on Continental? Just curious.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 8:42 am     Reply with quote

I just flew Continental with NSI no troubles, used skycap. Flew Continental twice last year including once international, both times used ticket counter check-in, no charges.

Remember when the airline asks: "What's this?" or "What's in the bag?"

response is "golf bag"

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 8:53 am    Can anyone pull some strings at 2nd Wind? Reply with quote

Bought a Dakine Air Wagon last month for kite trips only to realize this link now. Damn, I wish someone could have shed some light on this issue at the shop...Anyways, I am past the 30-day mark...still have tags/reciepts, but their policy won't allow for me to exchange it....and they have the NSI "golf-bag" I want for the same price..

Any help? Thanks, JC

dakine.jpg 

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 8:59 am     Reply with quote

This is what I am dealing with:

Kiteboard
Continental Airlines will accept one kiteboard or one bag containing equipment used in kiteboarding as checked baggage. Domestically, a kiteboard or one bag containing equipment used in kiteboarding is subject to a $95.00 service charge (each way).

Contact Continental Airlines Reservations, worldwide, for international service charge rate information.

The board must be well padded or the entire board must be encased in a suitable container to avoid scratching. Continental Airlines shall not be liable for damage to a kiteboard or kiteboard equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for a kiteboard or kiteboard equipment.

Note: Kiteboards, or kiteboard bags or over 115 inches (292 cm) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage. Kiteboards will be transported subject to load capacities of the aircraft on any itinerary involving a flight operated by ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. dba Continental Express or Continental Connection. Kiteboards are not allowed during excess baggage embargo periods when no excess baggage is allowed. Kiteboards will be accepted to Costa Rica during an embargo period.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 9:27 am     Reply with quote

Yeah they have had that rule for awhile, but that's why its called the NSI Deceiver Very Happy

Really its BS that they have exceptions for golf clubs, skis, and snowboards and kiteboarders get shafted. I think its just because we get lumped in with windsurfers and surfers who have giant gear that's also more prone to damage.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 9:45 am     Reply with quote

Cmon don't rub it in....I do need the Deciever, but I need 2nd Wind to cooperate. I mean, its only an exchange, and its the same price...We'll see, got any other suggestions.?

But yeah, they shouldn't group us with the others....kiting gear keeps getting smaller and smaller anyways...so what will they do in a few years.?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 9:56 am     Reply with quote

I've gotten by using the Air Wagon by saying "skis", you could try that.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 26, 06 10:58 am     Reply with quote

Northwest, last time I checked, does not charge for kiteboards, as long as your bag is under 50 pounds. Direct flights to Honolulu, connecting flights to other kiteboarding destinations. If an airline doesn't charge for Snowboards, it's a snowboard. Going somewhere with no snow? It's a present for a friend who is there or meeting you there. That big sheet thing? Dude, that's a parachute! (Or paraglider, or what ever the airline doen't charge for.) Always check what is allowed, so you know what to call your gear! Very Happy The big key is stay below 50 pounds, the more below the better. Nobody likes lifting a heavy bag, it just puts the agent in a bad mood. It's pretty easy to piss of an airline employee these days; times are VERY tough in this industry. Keep the agent happy with you and let them be pissed off at their airline. They'll be less likely to be nit picky with you that way. Oh, and NEVER lie to customs. They can do whatever they want, inluding drilling holes in your board, cutting your board in half, and ripping out all of the seams on your kite. They hate being lied to, and you really do end up on their "Shit List". If you end up on that list--they really do have one in the computer--you'll be in for "special" treatment every time you go through customs. Forever. Just my thoughts. (17 year international airline pilot.)

Nak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: