Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

kite airplane travel: bag size limits?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Nak...

Cool, sounds good. I haven't seen too many restrictions on size, its just whats inside the bag....So I will def. check on that.

Maybe I will hang-on to the Dakine Air Wagon, b/c I could call it a number of things....

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 26, 06 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Jonah,
It was because of the wonderful advise I got on this forum that I purchased the NSI Golf Deceiver bag. Many sites that sold kite board bags told me that they had "no problem" getting their bags on airlines free of charge, but I can't believe them. I got the deceiver bag two weeks ago and it's BIG.
I have a father-in-law with a closet full of throw-a-way golf clubs, and I am planning on carrrying one with me so I can still have a clean sole for lieing. I'll let you know how it went when I return from Cozumel in December.
Kip

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 26, 06 11:34 am     Reply with quote

I guess I forgot to mention that a "Deciever" is a great thing too! It's what I use myself. It's always better if you just let the agent make their own assumptions. But it's also good to have a back-up story in case you have to explain what's in the bag. Very Happy A golf club in the bag isn't a bad idea, I'd say choose something you might really bring just one of? (Maybe a putter?) I'm not a golfer so I don't know. "It's a golf bag" "What's that other stuff?" It's whatever they don't charge for. I personally don't bring a club. "What is that?" "It's a golf bag." "What's in it?" "It's a skim board and a wind break for sunbathing!" BUT, if it's customs asking, "it's a board to ride on the water, with large kites to do the pulling."

Nak

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostThu Oct 26, 06 11:55 am     Reply with quote

I have not had to pay extra with a dakine bag by saying it is camping gear and using curbside check in. The curbside guys are working for tips and don't want to piss you off just remeber to tip them or your kitebag will end up in sibera.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 26, 06 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

Good point TS. The Skycaps are FAR more interested in their tips than in making money for the airline. (They work for tips for the most part.) How much do you tip? I'm thinking $2 per bag and $5 for your kitebag if he didn't charge extra for it... That should ensure your gear ends up where you do! Very Happy

nak

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

good to hear from an insider Nak! I think the weight thing is a good tip, I mean you got to come in under 50 lbs... but if the bag is 49.95 lbs they probably won't be as happy as if its 40 lbs.

Remember to plan for stuff getting heavier when its wet too...

RayManta

Since 19 Oct 2006
3 Posts
Hole in Heaven
Kook

PostThu Oct 26, 06 10:22 pm    Re: Can anyone pull some strings at 2nd Wind? Reply with quote

chanson wrote:
Bought a Dakine Air Wagon last month for kite trips only to realize this link now. Damn, I wish someone could have shed some light on this issue at the shop...Anyways, I am past the 30-day mark...still have tags/reciepts, but their policy won't allow for me to exchange it....and they have the NSI "golf-bag" I want for the same price..

Any help? Thanks, JC

I've traveled alot/multiple trips from Maui... to LA... to Chicago.... to Dallas.... to Norfolk(on various airline ATA, American, United, Southwestern) with the Da Kine Air Wagon. NEVER been charged extra. As long as it meets the size and weight guidelines, they don't seem to care.
Last trip to OBX I had two kites and three boards. I think you're worrying needlessly.
If you're really worried, check your bags curbside. The ten or so dollars you'll tip the skycap will ease your mind(they issue your boarding passes and take your bags to TSA)....... you won't have to hassle lugging them through the line.
Have a great trip! Cool
I'm thinking all this golf bag hype is in reality an excuse to wear funny hats and plaid knickers for the people who use them. Wink Smile

Last edited by RayManta on Fri Oct 27, 06 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Oct 27, 06 6:02 am    Re: Can anyone pull some strings at 2nd Wind? Reply with quote

RayManta wrote:
NEVER been charged extra. As long as it meets the size and weight guidelines, they don't seem to care.

Ray - welcome to the site! The air wagon is actually way over the maximum dimensions, which are 62 inches for L + W + H.

I got charged $80 going to Maui once with the Air Wagon because of it (Hawaiian Airlines)... after that I started saying it was "skis" which worked but not as well as the golf bag has.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 27, 06 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Hmm, perhaps it's the PDX skycaps b/c we've been turned away multiple times curbside with the airwagon as it exceeds max measurements as PKH mentioned, even after offering a tip.

Also, NO CURBSIDE check in for those folks going Int'l - if you're headed to Mexico, etc, go for a golf type bag.

RayManta

Since 19 Oct 2006
3 Posts
Hole in Heaven
Kook

PostFri Oct 27, 06 7:50 am    Re: Can anyone pull some strings at 2nd Wind? Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
RayManta wrote:
NEVER been charged extra. As long as it meets the size and weight guidelines, they don't seem to care.

Ray - welcome to the site! The air wagon is actually way over the maximum dimensions, which are 62 inches for L + W + H.

I got charged $80 going to Maui once with the Air Wagon because of it (Hawaiian Airlines)... after that I started saying it was "skis" which worked but not as well as the golf bag has.

You forgot the motto here in the Islands when refering to the two major interisland airlines...... Not 'Hawaiian'and No 'Aloha' Twisted Evil

Were talking about the bag that zips apart(two bags.. less than 50 lbs.), right? I've noticed that they seem to be more concerned with whether the bag will fit down the chute and on to the turnstile. The Dakine bags do and usually they're the last to load and the first off the plane. Laughing

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Oct 27, 06 8:02 am     Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for all of the advice and input.

I have checked in some kite gear in a wakeboard bag at curbside from PDX to O'Hare, but I think the dimensions were a bit smaller than the airwagon. I just told them snowboards cause it was Christmas.

I might just wing-it with the airwagon if I can't return it...cause I gotta think DaKine wouldn't make a kite-specific travel bag that would dock kiters $80 everytime they fly..., right?

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 27, 06 8:49 am     Reply with quote

I've just flown to London and back, and I'm currently in San Fran. I flew United for both trips.

I have the 160cm Dakine Air Wagon. I just say it's a snowboard and gear and get charged 50 bucks for it being overweight. Works perfect and I have no problems.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Oct 27, 06 8:59 am     Reply with quote

sounds like you have a $50 problem. Wink

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Oct 27, 06 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Forrest:

Well, if I can slam all of my gear, plus all of my girlfriends in one bag...
then it might just be worth it to pay the $50 problem.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Oct 27, 06 9:28 am     Reply with quote

you can check 2 bags per person, so why not just get a golf bag for each? that's my plan... $50, in 1.5 trips you'll pay for the golf bag.

man, I should get paid by NSI. I'm putting down the hard sell! Very Happy

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Oct 27, 06 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Dude, I totally would and want to...I am just having a hard time exchanging my airwagon b/c it is past 30 days, eventhough the tags are still on it.

I am def. intersted in the Deciever, and I wish I knew this before I bought the Airwagon...but it is what it is.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 27, 06 10:00 am     Reply with quote

Hey, why not just sell your Air wagon on E-bay or Craig's List??? PKH is right!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: