Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

06 Slingshot 17.5 Machine-Lightwind Boards
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 26, 06 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
I still wanna build a lightwind board too, especially since I hate flying anything bigger than my 11. Gotta find some 1/4-3/8" Marine Grade ply though. We're gonna keep this bitch as light as possible! Wink

What about balsa wood...Here that stuff is pretty light...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 12:59 pm     Reply with quote

It might be fun to experiment with plywood and some different shapes, I don't think its necessary to have a board as long as the glide if you keep the width. I think you'd get more speed and freestyle capabilities... though it will get harder and harder not to pearl a short board with little or no rocker.

I rode Hein's flywood board once at sauvies this year:

http://www.impact3d.com/Hein_FlyWood444_composite.jpg

it was sweet, like a mini glide with a lot more speed potential.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 26, 06 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
I still wanna build a lightwind board too, especially since I hate flying anything bigger than my 11. Gotta find some 1/4-3/8" Marine Grade ply though. We're gonna keep this bitch as light as possible! Wink

Adam, sounds like a good idea...Let me know if you want me to help you cut out the shape....Just like PKH said.."Keep the dims short and fat..." Maybe it doesn't have to be as long as the glide (assuming w/ the exception of the 148)...I got Cadd and I'll let the guys in my shop laser cut your board at water ever shape you want...

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Oct 26, 06 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome Tony! Just out of curiousity, what program do you guys use for 3D modeling before you cut? My roomie is an ME down here, so he's pretty familiar with all the programs and we've had stuff CNC'd in the past. Defiantely would be nice to have it cut on water jet or with a laser!!! Even more so because I'm hella anal/meticulous about that kinda shit! Very Happy

And I probably would keep the length down a bit (I'm smaller too). Shit my damn Brunotti does pretty well in lightwind, which I'm sure is at least aided by its planky shape. It's a 128x38.5, but the tips are still like 37...

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 26, 06 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Awesome Tony! Just out of curiousity, what program do you guys use for 3D modeling before you cut? My roomie is an ME down here, so he's pretty familiar with all the programs and we've had stuff CNC'd in the past. Defiantely would be nice to have it cut on water jet or with a laser!!! Even more so because I'm hella anal/meticulous about that kinda shit! Very Happy

And I probably would keep the length down a bit (I'm smaller too). Shit my damn Brunotti does pretty well in lightwind, which I'm sure is at least aided by its planky shape. It's a 128x38.5, but the tips are still like 37...

We also have something similar to a CNC machine setup...I generally generate the drawing using CADD (AutoCADD2005 - Soon to get solid works)...I than send it out as a DXF file...The layout guy downstairs converts that file for the laser - slap down your typ. 4x8 sheet - and sssha-bang - a nicely cut/even shape...You might have to do a little sanding here and there, but for the most part - the shape should be pretty even...
I've never tried it - since I'm not sure what type of wood to use and the best type os sealant to cover it with....

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Oct 26, 06 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

marine grade plywood is what your looking for Tony. You can seal it with a thin coat of epoxy or even get away with poly-urathane.

Why don't you have your cnc boys construct a sandwhiched, hollow core stainless steel board for you? That would be Uber pimp. Then we could call you the sauvie island silver surfer.

I'd still like to make some foam and epoxy boards if people are interested in it. (I'm pretty much home bound all winter and early spring with the baby) --Except I'm going to florida to kite the gulf coast in January Laughing Wink

Anyone interested? Material cost becomes cheaper with volume plus I think it would be pretty damn fun.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 2:46 pm     Reply with quote

I gotta say I am stoked to see people talking not just about lightwind kites but lightwind boards for a change. Can't wait till I show up at Sauvies and everybody has their own homebrew lightwind weapon. Thumb's Up

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Oct 26, 06 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

I will definately have a dedicated lightwind board next year.

I'm hoping to have something slightly more functional, but this is what I have right now.....

lightwind.jpg 

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Oct 26, 06 4:05 pm     Reply with quote

Here's a link to the board I made a last summer. The ply boards are super easy, get some marine grade ply, some varnish, t-nuts. It cost like $50 to get everything. It's fun to ride. Keep just all updated on your designs, maybe I will make another one Thumb's Up

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-621.html&highlight=doolittle+custom

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 26, 06 4:05 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like everyone has there own ideas for making a light wind board.
We should start some sort of a contest...who can create the best board...Surely it has to be functional with all the similarities of a regular board. Straps, bolts, grab handle, the whole nine...And of course, something with a little more thought than just a piece of plywood...Just a thought...
But like PDXMonkey just said, I also have a lot of free time in the winter and a garge with plunty of space...So shaping a few boards doesn't sound so bad.... Wink

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 26, 06 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

Bettyboarder wrote:
Here's a link to the board I made a last summer. The ply boards are super easy, get some marine grade ply, some varnish, t-nuts. It cost like $50 to get everything. It's fun to ride. Keep just all updated on your designs, maybe I will make another one Thumb's Up

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-621.html&highlight=doolittle+custom

Sweet board...Now thats what I'm talking about....
Bettyboarder - what was your estimated time of construction...?
I'm already thinking about heading out to Home depot...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Oct 26, 06 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

easy there Tony, take your time and do something really cool. Just don't cut out some random shape from plyood and call it good.

Has anyone laminated plywood together? I'm thinking of sandwhiching two pieces of 1/4" together (of different lengths) so that I have nice flex in the tips but still not too flexy that I can't cut up wind.

Would it delam?

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostThu Oct 26, 06 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

since middle school really didnt pay i had to make alot of ply boards. laminating two 1/4 pieces together works really well. although i stopped making the top differient than the bottom because they tended to break. if you use 1/2 inch for the botom or put a layer of glass over the board you would probably be good. for the wood i dont think its worth it to go for the marine ply. i have built like 2 boards with solid wood (pine and poplar), 7 boards with regular ply, 1 with marine ply, and one with birch ply. none of the regular ply boards delamed so i dont think the price differience was really justified.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Oct 26, 06 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hein's thing looks like it's layered if I remember correctly...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Oct 26, 06 9:49 pm     Reply with quote

hey kiteboard117, so which would did you like the best?

What about glassed 3/8 ?

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSun Oct 29, 06 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

well, i hate to be pessmistic, but isn't a 17.5m kite rather small for a 190lbs person?

Personally, my ideal light wind setup is my 20.5 machine (i weigh 165lbs) and my SRT 5'11". This is a great combo for 10-15mph wind, but i've also had my 20.5 out when it was gusting up to 21mp. If it is real light wind (8-10mph) i would probably use my glide.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Oct 29, 06 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

what spots do you usually hit MM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: