Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

06 Slingshot 17.5 Machine-Lightwind Boards
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 25, 06 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

I've got a 2004 Fuel 17, and last year I put a 5th line on it, and it worked great up against my buddy who was on his 05 17.5 Machine. I was on an SRT surfboard so that may have helped, but adding a 5th to an older Fuel 17 is definitely something to consider.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 25, 06 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
So is that 18m the only kite you have? I guess if Sauvies is your primary destination and you don't have a medium sized kite or you don't have one you like very much, then maybe a big new kite is the ticket.

Yeah, I think it's time for a newer kite...I've seen Dan (New Wind - I think?) and cool Tatoo Jason on their Machines and they love 'em...Sure I'm not a good as they are but I think a Machine might work better than what I have (18m Naish). Especially, considering I'm going froma 4-line to a 5-line...As far as board size, what can I say, your right...
It makes a huge difference. Most likely I'll go to home depot before buying a glide....
Sauvies...? Uuuuaahhhh Yes, Sauvies Island...I remember that place...It's part of my back yard...Place kinda sucked this summer but I'm still going to keep going there...Something about kiting, seeing your friends, having a beer and watching a girl or two sun bathing.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Oct 25, 06 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

Dr. Tony Teabag,
The only reason you got worked on that CB was because i neglected to tell you about the powerlock feature Smile ooops!! since it was gusting into the upper 30's I did wrap it in duck tape to disable it but I guess it kind of wore through.

The dark side? Pah-lease that debate is soooo 2005. Everyone has there favorites and their is a time and place for everything but bow kites are DOPE!!

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 25, 06 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
haha Tony... I forgot to put the Wink face at the end... incase you weren't sure if I was jokin' or not! haha.

Anyways, we need to get Onad on here. I know he loves his Machine!

Don't worry bro, it's all about the shits and giggles...But it's not my falt if I throw out a huge spray on you - the next time I see you body dragging to retrieve your board.
Amery found out the hard way, when he was caught pissing on my truck tire...Little did he know, but my eagle eye vision caught him doing his bad deed...No harm until I saw my own dog piss on the same tire after I pulled onto my driveway - later that same night... Mad so a few weeks later, Amery left his sun visor open, and whoops - he found a little present on his drivers seat...(Taks little baggy of doggy poo).... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 25, 06 3:38 pm    Re: 06 Slingshot 17.5 Machine Reply with quote

Tony, here are my thoughts on your original questions. (Disclaimer: the opinions and perspectives are from a 200lb plus rider who dislikes being underpowered and desires more than just mowing the lawn on light wind days.)

1. $500 is a pretty good deal for this kite package.

2. The Machine is a great kite! I refer to it as a “Super Octane.” It turns very fast for a big kite. Fast enough to down loop & kite loop. The Machine has incredible wind range due to the cleat-able fifth line. When the wind ramps up and all the sissies go in for a smaller kite, you just cleat in the fifthline and a little de-power and you’re boosting huge.

3. Over-all the Machine is very versatile and you will use it at Sauvies as well as the coast. It does take a little while to get used to flying the Machine by sheeting in & out to activate & deactivate the trailing edge “flaps.” Once you get this figured out, you’ll love the kite. I didn’t like it the first couple of times I flew, but once I figured it out… Oh Yah!!!

I absolutely love this kite and will be keeping mine another season. Thumb's Up

I say, Go for it! As long as you aren’t going to freeze your girlfriend to death this winter with no fuel oil… Wink

Machines are selling for between $425 & $725 on iKitesurf. http://www.ikitesurf.com/buysell/classifieds.pl

~Onad Cool

Machine Manual: http://www.sskiteboarding.com/resource_center/instructions/06_machinemanual_web.pdf

Tony wrote:
Any thoughts...?
So I'm in the market for a big kite.
I know some guys who fly the machine...They really like those kites. I never flown one before. I was offered an 06 17.5 machine (kite,bag,5th line bar/lines), perfect like new condition and used less than 6 times, for 500 bucks...
Awesome deal - Good deal - Average deal -bad deal - shittty deal...your smoke'n crack don't buy it deal....
Any takes on this...
Is this a good kite or a crappy kite...?
I need some thought before I call the guy back and fork out the casholas.

Thanks everyone...

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 3:55 pm     Reply with quote

Tony, remember that huge 25.5 machine i had out at Sauvies last spring?
I need to buy that thing back from the guy I sold it to... Shit!

But yeah, I have a 5th line on my 17m fuel, and man....it makes a huge difference....especially with my 06 bar.

I say go for it, they are sweet kites....and if, I mean when, I get my 25.5m machine back from dude...it will be the final resort to de-skunk a session.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 25, 06 5:13 pm    '06 slingshot bar vs. '07 slingshot bar Reply with quote

Onad,

Thanks man....You da man....

I figure buying an '06 17.5 machine w/ 5th line bar, for 500.00, I cann't go wrong...I'm buying it...

But all the sudden, there's a twist....I just called the guy...He's willing to send me an '07 slingshot 5th line bar instead of the '06 bar...It makes no difference to him since the '06 bar has been used less than 6 times...He would be happy to swap it with the '07 bar. I said nice...
But here's the catch...
I'm not an expert so I'm hoping to get some feedback...The '06 bar is a 23" bar....The '07 bar is a 20" bar....
Correct me if I'm wrong:
big bar = big kite
small bar = small kite...
Question is: If I get the machine, should I request the '07 20" bar or should I stay with the standard 23" bar...?
I'm afraid that if I go with the small bar, I might loose some of that fast turning ability...Thats not good since I know I'll loose some juice...
I have seen the '07 bar, pretty sweet. It looks just like the '07 link bar - actually, I think it is the '07 link bar...Main feature being the adjustable stopper ball...Anyways, I need to decide which bar to go with before I send him the payment. Any ideas...?

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 25, 06 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

chanson wrote:
Tony, remember that huge 25.5 machine i had out at Sauvies last spring?
I need to buy that thing back from the guy I sold it to... Shit!

But yeah, I have a 5th line on my 17m fuel, and man....it makes a huge difference....especially with my 06 bar.

I say go for it, they are sweet kites....and if, I mean when, I get my 25.5m machine back from dude...it will be the final resort to de-skunk a session.

Chason, dude you need to get that 25.5 machine back...That kites worth more than gold at Sauvies...It's a Beast...I still remember helping you launch it...It took about 3 of us...All my God - thing was huge... Shocked
Dude, you could be the only one out their during butter and glass conditions...Call the guy back, what ever you sold it for - double it...Money talks...I'm sure you'll get your baby back...

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostWed Oct 25, 06 9:13 pm     Reply with quote

T-bag, get the long bar!! An even longer bar would be better. Like 24 inches.

amery

Since 05 Aug 2005
60 Posts

Choad

PostWed Oct 25, 06 9:42 pm     Reply with quote

Who needs heating oil? You got a dog don't you? Maybe he'll be a good boy and leave a steamer on your chest to keep you extra warm! Very Happy

Here's what to expect switching from your old Naish to the Machine:
The Machine works on apparent wind. This means the more board speed you get the better the pull is. (Hence the name, because it generates more pull when up to speed.) You'll find yourself riding your board flatter, faster and more upwind. This efficiency also gives it a heap of range, because when you do stomp your edge, it fly's quickly to the edge of the window. When everyone else is sizing down to 12s you'll still be on the 17.5 easy.

The disclaimer: For light wind, your board is the limiting factor in the equation. If your board isn't big enough to keep you planing through the transition in your powerstroke then your screwed. How big is your board? Did I miss that part?

I'd take the 23" bar since you are thinking of light wind Sauvies. You're good enough and have enough board skill not to feel overpowered on that kite with the limited throw (compared to '07)

My 2 cents. I don't like posting, but for some reason, for you Tony, I did. Something about piss, dog poo and heating oil I guess.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Oct 25, 06 10:34 pm     Reply with quote

Amery, you're awesome! Very Happy

Ummm yea, I really don't think I could handle that bar, even though I'm sure you need it. Shit, I wanna cut down my 17's... haha! I guess that's my problem though.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 26, 06 8:36 am     Reply with quote

amery wrote:
Who needs heating oil? You got a dog don't you? Maybe he'll be a good boy and leave a steamer on your chest to keep you extra warm! Very Happy

Here's what to expect switching from your old Naish to the Machine:
The Machine works on apparent wind. This means the more board speed you get the better the pull is. (Hence the name, because it generates more pull when up to speed.) You'll find yourself riding your board flatter, faster and more upwind. This efficiency also gives it a heap of range, because when you do stomp your edge, it fly's quickly to the edge of the window. When everyone else is sizing down to 12s you'll still be on the 17.5 easy.

The disclaimer: For light wind, your board is the limiting factor in the equation. If your board isn't big enough to keep you planing through the transition in your powerstroke then your screwed. How big is your board? Did I miss that part?

I'd take the 23" bar since you are thinking of light wind Sauvies. You're good enough and have enough board skill not to feel overpowered on that kite with the limited throw (compared to '07)

My 2 cents. I don't like posting, but for some reason, for you Tony, I did. Something about piss, dog poo and heating oil I guess.

Ahhh Yes Amery...Dude thanks bro...
I have made a decision...I'm going to fork out the casholas and get the 17.5 machine...The bottom line, It's an 06 for 500 bucks (includes shipping), so I cann't go wrong.
As far as Board size...I don't have the greatest board range - thats probably my problem...I ride my 132sx most the time....When the wind is light, I bounce over to the 157 slingshot...Something in between is probably be the ticket...No worries since that is the next thing i'm going to throw in the shopping cart. But I figure I better buy the heating oil first...As far as boards, I'm actually going to home depot...Try something a little different...

Heating oil vs. Wool Jacket
Heating oil - 275 gallon tank @ 2.20 gallon = 605.00 ( Shocked - could be a new board)
Wool Jacket/parka - 300.00 (if you buy a good one)
But I guess I cann't get everyone to throw on a parka while in the house...
I better buy the oil....Blue flame in SE has it for 2.13 gallon...Cheapest I could find...Most are averaging 2.20

Anyways, Thanks guys for all the input...NWKite and memebers...Best site online....

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 26, 06 9:04 am     Reply with quote

[quote="amery"]Who needs heating oil? You got a dog don't you? Maybe he'll be a good boy and leave a steamer on your chest to keep you extra warm! Very Happy

Oh Amery, one more thing man...as far as that little present you found on your driver's seat - it wasn't my fault...It was that little man who drives a white van and has 2 little dogs (one white and one black) - I think his last name is Taco-Shima...Well he made me do it...I told him that you were my good friend and that it was not a nice thing to do...He said "bullshit - do it man - do it..."

Anyways, I stll remember when Karma hit Jeff....
Tucker was there and saw the whole thing...Lets just say, I never seen anyone destroy 2 kites in less than an hour Shocked (@ stevenson)...And they weren't even his kites...one belong to Tucker. (Never seen Tucker so pissed...) And the other belong to Tomas...(Tomas is a champ - he took the pain in strides...)...They were both new kites.
But on the next day, Jeff Tak also pays the price - gets seperated from his kite @ stevenson...
Dude goes up for a jump (unhooked) and accidently pulls his release leash...Kite goes one way, he goes the other...Not good...
By the time he swims back to the launch, his kite (Tomas kite) is almost at the cemetary...So tomas pumps his kite. He launches and both of the ride off into the sunset doing a little brokeback kiteboarding - all the way to the cemetary...Pretty funny shit (the part where is almost takes them 2 hours chasing a kite from the launch to the cemetary...)
So I guess it's always good to be a nice guy, cause Karmas ah biatch...!

scooter

Since 23 Apr 2005
99 Posts
hood River

PostThu Oct 26, 06 11:52 am    17.5 machine for sale Reply with quote

just pm'd you. if you dont go for the o6 i have an 05 for sale that has been used only a couple of times. laters

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Oct 26, 06 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

Tony wrote:
I have made a decision...I'm going to fork out the casholas and get the 17.5 machine...The bottom line, It's an 06 for 500 bucks (includes shipping), so I cann't go wrong.

I'm telling your GF Tony!!

Just as an FYI though, let me know when your planning to get some plwood to make a light wind board; i'll go halfsies on it. I was planning to try my hand at the foam and epoxy thang' but after pricing out the cost of foam blanks, fiberglass, epoxy resin, and the time it would take to build a rocker board, and get my vaccum system set up, I could just buy a used factory lightwind board. The material for boards is PRICEY!!

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Oct 26, 06 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

Just as an FYI though, let me know when your planning to get some plwood to make a light wind board; i'll go halfsies on it. I was planning to try my hand at the foam and epoxy thang' but after pricing out the cost of foam blanks, fiberglass, epoxy resin, and the time it would take to build a rocker board, and get my vaccum system set up, I could just buy a used factory lightwind board. The material for boards is PRICEY!![/quote]

Foam Blanks, fiberglass, vacuum system + my time.....Dude, I was thinking more about getting a 1/2" piece of plywood out of the recycling bin at Home depot.... Wink Bolt down some old straps and batta-bing batta-boom...
Foam..? shit the only foam I know about is the foam I see in my pint of beer - cause the bar tender is new and just learning to serve... Mad
When I mean cheap, I'm talking about nickles and dimes - dirt cheap... Laughing

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Oct 26, 06 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

I still wanna build a lightwind board too, especially since I hate flying anything bigger than my 11. Gotta find some 1/4-3/8" Marine Grade ply though. We're gonna keep this bitch as light as possible! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: