Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting in Laguna Beach CA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostMon Oct 23, 06 7:40 am    Kiting in Laguna Beach CA? Reply with quote

Have to go down to Southern california next weekend - is it worth bringing the kites along? If so , what are the spots to hit-we have a car and willing to drive a bit. Or would it be better to actually put some golf clubs in my "golf" bag?

rorzeck

Since 26 Sep 2006
36 Posts

PostMon Oct 23, 06 8:32 am     Reply with quote

Never leave home without all of your toys if you can help it. Sure enough, if you leave your kites it will be windy.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 23, 06 8:45 am     Reply with quote

rorzeck wrote:
Never leave home without all of your toys if you can help it. Sure enough, if you leave your kites it will be windy.

Yeah that's true for sure.

I made 3 trips to SoCal (visiting family) every time brought my kite gear, finally got wind on the last trip and it was awesome. The spots near Malibu seem to be the windiest in my experience. Also it seemed like the further north we drove the windier it got.

I'd bring your big kite and medium kite... last time I actually got blown off my 13m. I'd probably go 9m/12m Waroos and skimboard/TT if I was going back now.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 23, 06 8:47 am     Reply with quote

oh yeah on the golf bag, you don't need a golf club in the bag... I never heard about them actually opening a bag at check-in (they don't want to.) If you are really worried just use curb side checkin and hand the guy $5... did that on this last trip and the skycap guys are super cool.

all they care about is its under 50 lbs... if they ask what it is say "golf bag."

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 23, 06 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Good advice PKH, except for international flights. Our bag was opened by a ticketing agent/ customs guy (same person) in Cabo and we did have a golf club in each NSI bag thankfully. I would be hate to caught lying to customs, especially when you're outside the US. Wink

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 23, 06 9:36 am     Reply with quote

I thought California was in the U.S. Wink, but yeah don't lie to security/customs ... in my experience security/customs have been separate than the airline, and they don't really care about oversize luggage or anything.

N-E-ways, going on probably 20+ check-ins with the golf bag and never charged.

YRMV

alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostMon Oct 23, 06 9:51 am     Reply with quote

I was actually thinking about using the clubs to play golf! Never had any trouble with Alaska Air and my golf bag. Now if I could find somewhere windy down there to kite I won't need the clubs...

Nate

Since 19 Jun 2006
10 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Oct 24, 06 3:38 pm     Reply with quote

Sunset Beach just north of Huntington for a wave spot or Belmont Shores for a flat water spot, both have Iwindsurf sensors. I was down there a week ago and the Santa Ana winds were howling but I wasn't sure where to go on Offshore wind days so went surfing instead.

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostTue Oct 24, 06 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

alankitesurf2 wrote:
I was actually thinking about using the clubs to play golf! Never had any trouble with Alaska Air and my golf bag. Now if I could find somewhere windy down there to kite I won't need the clubs...

Typically, I would just bring your clubs at this time of year. That far south, you should plan on clubs and going to clubs and surf if ya do that. Santa Anas cannot be sailed unless you wanna go west.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: