Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Holbox? Yucatan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 19, 06 7:25 pm    Holbox? Yucatan Reply with quote

Has anyone here ever been to Holbox Island? It's on the Yucatan, NE of Isla Mujeres. I'm heading there Nov 15, with my wife in hopes of a beach where I can kite all day and she can lay around reading books, working on her tan.
http://www.holboxcasalastortugas.com/eng/attivita_kiteboarding.htm
Here's a review of the Yucatan from BestKiteBoarding:
http://bestkiteboarding.com/site/travel/yucatan_ben_Mc.htm
Kip

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostThu Oct 19, 06 8:07 pm     Reply with quote

that's not the best time of year for that area according to the wind charts, but it sure looks like a nice place to kite. i think the spring has better weather and more wind.
Bandito

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 20, 06 9:01 am     Reply with quote

Get one of these for your wife! She won't get tired of going to windy beaches if you do...

http://www.canadianmoose.com/windscaper/index.htm

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 20, 06 11:08 am    holbox Reply with quote

my wife and i spent 10 days on the island in january of 05, great place to visit, with some considerations:
1. there is a rumor that at least some or all of the island is CLOSED TO KITEBOARDING, wha ti heard was a mexican interior ministry dictum regarding protection turtles on the island. other sources say only one beach (the one in front of the "hotel zone") is closed. i would confrirm that i can kite there before i go. (duh)
2. there is almost nothing else to do besides kite-not a problem for me but for some looking for nightlife-you better bring your own.
3. bugs-lots of them. when the wind doesnt blow, the no-seeums come up. my wife was bitten to distraction, big welts, itchy as hell. bring some benadryl and pray for wind. (duh)
4. the transfer from cancun airport was a flat out adventure-3 1/2 hours across the yucatan, a cool trip but not for the faint at heart.
5. winds were generally a bit fluky, we kited maybe 50% with 15-17m weather. if you hire a boat you can get south to isla passion (how is that all mexican destinations have at least one island named passion?) for almost any wind direction except north.
6. stay out of the estuaries-crocs.

hope this helps, pm me for any questions.

jimmi

Jackal

Since 17 Dec 2005
147 Posts
WS
Stoked

PostFri Oct 20, 06 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

I was there this past December/January for 10 days. We stayed at Hotel Tortuga with Patrick and his girlfriend.....?...anyway- great place to stay unless the all night disco next door is cranking up, then you have to join em all night, but the disco is hit and miss. good food in town, cheap to expensive. There are other places to stay that are really upscale and nice, but you pay for the perks.

Wind- fantastic when it was there. the northerlies are what you really want, but last year they were off, the whole region was off a little. The hurricanes where huge and frequent, this year there's none- last year seemed to be an anomoly. Seemed though that the best wind was in january and beyond, December is hit and miss.

jimmi's right about the bugs- when there's no wind, there's bugs, lots of them. No wind equals long, buggy walks and hammock time with bug repellent. You can't bring too much.

all in all a great place to check out, once. As far as the no kiting goes, it's only in one place, I think isla passion, due to a rare bird nesting there. the crocs are small!

bdc8622

Since 31 May 2005
74 Posts
PDX

PostFri Oct 20, 06 2:09 pm    Mexico Reply with quote

We have spent the past two years down there in February and Shastadog is right, the Policia/Government have total control and have outlawed and confiscated kites as they wish. Puerto Morales used to be a big area to kite and how it is outlawed. We were down south in Playa Del Carmen and below for that 50 mile stretch. Winds seem to always be spotty. Last time I talked to someone down there, they were trying to form an association to be able to deal with the Government who does what they wish.

adrianczm

Since 06 Mar 2006
89 Posts
Cozumel, Mexico

PostFri Oct 20, 06 6:58 pm    The word of a Mexican!! Reply with quote

Hey guys, yeah I heard all kind of gossips about Holbox kite boarding!

The true is this, Holbox its part of a national natural reserve and the problem was that some ecologist started to complain about Kite scaring the birds on their migration, specially in the area of la Pajarera and Passion island.

I was there early this year and launch my kite at the pier of Chiquila (very sketchy place to but no other) and hire a boat to take my wife and friends over, the wind was a great staedy 15-17 kts and I got to cross the Channel wich its a short 3 to 4 mile long. Went over passion island and tried to get hte off shore stream and get to the island by the side facing the gulf but as soon as I got to the east end of the island the wind died and I was picked up by the boat and took us home.

We have been going to Holbox and been fishing for a while there www.flyfishingmexico.org

On the time I kite there no body told me that kiteboarding was prohibited, The guy you must talk to is Abraham the "Moicano" he is a local kiter (may be the only one left) and he will take good care of you. You can get a boat out from Alejandro Vega (the treasure keeper in the city and a guy you must meet) then once with a boat ask Abraham to take you to the place he showed me pass punta Caracol, Paradise besides cozumel. Still Cozumel gets number one for its clearly waters.

Kites: bring your quiver from 9, 12, 16 that will work and board a Crazy Fly will do the job, may be a 137 light and great for upwind. If you have something you want to get rid off bring it to Moicano and im sure he will be really happy as he lost all his gear in Wilma last year. Ask him about the body that was wraped up in a kite by the local fisherman. That was a funny story. He is a really good kid.

I hope you like the island and enjoy your trip to Mexico!!!

And remember Do not bargain, collect some good money and come spend it on your great vacation!

Adrian Angulo
www.cozumelkiteboarding.com
Pakal Kites and Puro Mar Surf-Kite Co and Bikini shop
52 987 8761558

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 23, 06 6:18 am     Reply with quote

heya adrian,

my wife said i can come to your kite retreat in cozumel in january, and she said I COULD COME WITHOUT HER! idunno man, coz is top drawer kiting but how can i spend all that time kiting without any shopping or sightseeing? (sorry man, just though ya might dig a little gringo humor)

heard the island has roared back after wilma. not surprized, hardest working bunch i have ever met on your island (and thats no joke)

regards,

jimmi

marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 23, 06 6:31 pm     Reply with quote

Foka at ikaruskiteboarding.com probably has the best scoop on what's happening down there...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: