Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gusty Easterly Weekend
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Oct 19, 06 2:55 pm    Gusty Easterly Weekend Reply with quote

Sounds a little punchy this weekend!

Area Forecast For: Western Columbia River Gorge
...including Cook, Carson, Stevenson and Skamania
Issued: October 19, 2006 15:00:06 PDT

Tonight: Mostly cloudy. A chance of rain in the evening...then a slight chance of sprinkles after midnight. Patchy fog. Lows 45 to 50. West wind 5 to 15 mph.

Friday: Mostly cloudy in the morning...then mostly sunny. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs 60 to 65. West wind 5 to 10 mph.

Friday night: Clear. Lows around 40. Light evening wind...becoming east 5 to 10 mph. However...west end of gorge will see east wind becoming 15 to 25 mph with gusts 35 mph after midnight.

Saturday: Sunny. Highs 65 to 70. East wind 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph cascade locks westward...and east wind 5 to 10 mph near hood river.

Saturday night: Clear. Lows 40 to 45. East wind 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph cascade locks westward...and east wind 5 to 10 mph near hood river.

Sunday: Mostly sunny. Highs 65 to 70.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostThu Oct 19, 06 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

sounds like some pondage is nessacary anyone else planning on heading out to astoria?

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Oct 19, 06 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

Think the coast will go Friday - thinking about playing hooky.

TONIGHT
N WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 3 FT. W SWELL 8 TO 9 FT
AT 13 SECONDS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF DRIZZLE IN THE EVENING.

FRI
N WIND 10 TO 15 KT. WIND WAVES

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Oct 19, 06 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

I have a midterm Friday and Monday... Fuck skool! Twisted Evil

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 19, 06 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

kiteboard117 wrote:
sounds like some pondage is nessacary anyone else planning on heading out to astoria?

I'm planning on checking out Rooster Rock tomorrow evening. Not sure about Saturday, where are the ponds in Astoria and is this an easterly spot?

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostFri Oct 20, 06 7:39 am     Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
kiteboard117 wrote:

I'm planning on checking out Rooster Rock tomorrow evening. Not sure about Saturday, where are the ponds in Astoria and is this an easterly spot?

Good Question Forrest...It looks like saturdays wind @ at rooster might be like no other.. Shocked ...Blow'n like a bat out of hell...Gusting to 45....(feel sorry for the village people - there saddle bags might get sanded right off). So where the hell is this place called the ponds near Astoria? Does it generally blow hard during easterlies? I'm throwing all options on the table. But 45 mph gusts aint my cup of tea...

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Oct 20, 06 7:40 am     Reply with quote

The ponds are at the NE end of Clatsop Spit

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostFri Oct 20, 06 7:52 am     Reply with quote

pacifichigh wrote:
The ponds are at the NE end of Clatsop Spit

Thanks PAcific...

Hey guys - I was surfing on the web and came across Kiteworld website(Warrenton, OR). I'm not sure how accurate this is, but they got some info. on the ponds. I never been there but like I said, all options are open..

http://www.kiteworld.net/kiteboarding-vacations.php?section=full&id=35

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Oct 20, 06 8:04 am    Ponds--- Reply with quote

I will be heading out to Astoria on Sat.- Sun. I've got the parents in town, and they are staying in Astoria.

I have been by the ponds, but never actually ridden them. Are you guys heading out if Rooster is nuked-out.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostFri Oct 20, 06 8:25 am    Re: Ponds--- Reply with quote

chanson wrote:
I will be heading out to Astoria on Sat.- Sun. I've got the parents in town, and they are staying in Astoria.

I have been by the ponds, but never actually ridden them. Are you guys heading out if Rooster is nuked-out.

Well lets see....kiting or yard work....kiting or yard work...hhmmm...<talk about stress>
kiting it is... Very Happy ....Yard work can always waite...

Hey Chanson, I'm not sure if I'm heading to the coast just yet...If it's 3 meter conditions at Rooster, than the coast it is...so for now, it's a little undecided...Just in case, I'll PM you my phone number...

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 20, 06 8:27 am     Reply with quote

The tide conditions look good for the ponds on Saturday, but it looks like the tide will statrt to go out about 2PM... In case you're not familiar with this part of the Columbia, remember to heed the warning about kiting on the river side on an outgoing tide--don't do it. I've attached this graphic, but you might want to get a tide table showing the actual predicted high and low tides. The Columbia Bar can be gentle and peaceful looking while the tide is coming--and turn into your worst nightmare in the space of a few minutes when the tide turns.

Have fun on Saturday, I have family obligations. Sad I'm hoping that Rooster will look good on Sunday though!

Nak

print_image.jpg 

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 20, 06 11:33 am     Reply with quote

Ya Mon, poleboarding at the roooster! Cool

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 20, 06 11:34 am     Reply with quote

Looks like there is a chance the easterly will fade and NW wind will develop on the coast Sunday afternoon. What do people think? If so, the swell looks perfect.

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostFri Oct 20, 06 11:45 am     Reply with quote

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:34 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like there is a chance the easterly will fade and NW wind will develop on the coast Sunday afternoon. What do people think? If so, the swell looks perfect.

Damn, I hope so, that would be nice....just what I am looking for..

Keeping my fingers crossed!!

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 20, 06 5:16 pm     Reply with quote

so what do people think about the weekend? will it definitely be good and strong at the ponds? how windy do you think rooster will be? i don't know how the actuals compare to the forecasts for the easterlies.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 20, 06 8:36 pm     Reply with quote

The forecast for Troutdale is up to E27... My guess is that Rooster will be Nuked out--At least on Saturday. Sunday might be good. I can't ride anyway this weekend, but Camas or Portland somewhere should be good. Even Portland Airport is showing E27 on Sat...

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostFri Oct 20, 06 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

Viento!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: