Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Gusty Easterly Weekend
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostSat Oct 21, 06 7:25 am     Reply with quote

I'm going central coast. Forcast looks tasty

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostSat Oct 21, 06 6:06 pm    Slap-slap Reply with quote

Some vid of the east wind ridas....

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5955333839428661841

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSat Oct 21, 06 6:13 pm    Rooster Action Reply with quote

Rooster Action

Slither
 Slither  slither.jpg 

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSat Oct 21, 06 6:15 pm    ROOSTER Reply with quote

Rooster Action

New trick
 New trick  new trick.jpg 
Toby
 Toby  Toby.jpg 
The Monkey
 The Monkey  pdxmonkey.jpg 
New North board
 New North board  North board.jpg 

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSat Oct 21, 06 6:24 pm    After the nukage @ Rooster went to Camas Reply with quote

After the nukage @ Rooster went to Camas for a session Cool

Camas
 Camas  Camas3.jpg 
Camas 2
 Camas 2  Camas2.jpg 
Camas 1
 Camas 1  Camas1.jpg 

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Oct 21, 06 7:09 pm     Reply with quote

Cool vid, Slither and nice pics as always, Henry! Thumb's Up

Haven't been out to Camas since last year, but it looks a lot different out there now... Just the low water level, I guess.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSat Oct 21, 06 7:39 pm     Reply with quote

nice shots Henry!

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostSat Oct 21, 06 10:04 pm     Reply with quote

Rico, i was at the airport Sat afternoon. Wind was pretty steady and a lot more sane than RR. How do you get to the Camas spot? Looks nice.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2062 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Oct 21, 06 10:18 pm    Sometimes U got to have some faith and conviction Reply with quote

So I show up at the Ponds, Parking lot D around 12:45 today and the winds are light and all I see are a couple of kites on the beach/lagoon side. One local from just is packing it up and says to me its been "good all morning" but got lighter as the morning and flood tide progressed. I say, why don't you stay till the tide changes around 1:30, "its going to get better" and he says every kiter he knows is an optimist. . . He leaves and I get rigged; as soon as the tide turned, the winds increased and the pond was $$$$$$$$$$$. SO consistent, about 12 kites on the water. 19m C kites, 16 C's, 15 C's, and about 4 12m bows.

Like most things in life, you got to have a little faith and conviction. Thank you wind gods. What a f*ing awesome late season Oct. day. Good winds to all and make sure to get some tomorrow; east or west, looks like there are options. . .

Very Happy Cool Very Happy Exclamation

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Oct 21, 06 10:22 pm     Reply with quote

I don't know exact direction (as in crossroads, etc.) to the Camas spot, but you really don't need them. From I205N get onto SR14E and head out towards Camas. It's 10-15 mins east of 205 right off 14, and you can just park on the side of the road (I think there's more room to park on the westbound side though). After Henry found it last year (and posted pics), I just drove out and recognized it. You must also hike down a 20-30 ft rocky, semi-steep 'cliff' to get to the launch, so keep that in mind when you're driving.

I forgot Henry Google Earth'd it last yea too. So here's the link.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-852-0-asc-60.html

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Oct 21, 06 11:51 pm     Reply with quote

Killer shots & video dudes! Thumb's Up

If my flight wasn't delayed I'd be hitting that easterly action on Sunday for sure, might still have time but I'm not sure. Looks like another nuker...

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Oct 22, 06 7:14 am    Re: Sometimes U got to have some faith and conviction Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
So I show up at the Ponds, Parking lot D around 12:45 today and the winds are light and all I see are a couple of kites on the beach/lagoon side. One local from just is packing it up and says to me its been "good all morning" but got lighter as the morning and flood tide progressed. I say, why don't you stay till the tide changes around 1:30, "its going to get better" and he says every kiter he knows is an optimist. . . He leaves and I get rigged; as soon as the tide turned, the winds increased and the pond was $$$$$$$$$$$. SO consistent, about 12 kites on the water. 19m C kites, 16 C's, 15 C's, and about 4 12m bows.

Like most things in life, you got to have a little faith and conviction. Thank you wind gods. What a f*ing awesome late season Oct. day. Good winds to all and make sure to get some tomorrow; east or west, looks like there are options. . .

Amen!

That was the sweetest butter.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostSun Oct 22, 06 9:14 pm    Re: Sometimes U got to have some faith and conviction Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

Amen!

That was the sweetest butter.

I agree....That was my first time at the ponds...Not sure what to expect so I brought along all my kites. I got there about 2:30 'ish...Looked like everyone w/ big kites...Place looked small but still pretty sweet. The wind did look like it was fading a little. So some dude "mr. know it all..."...did tell me I might need to go get my bigger board..."To run and get it...before it's too late" Yeah right...What ever...I knew with tide going out at 2 'ish (wind and tide direction offsetting) I should have no problem staying powered up on my 18...Come to think of it, I could have been on my 15 with my 132 and still have plunty of juice...You never now unless you try it...
Well, all I could say is..."aaahhhhh....mmmmm...butterrrr..."....Nice...!
What a slick and sick session...Kinda shallow but that place is preety sweet...
Thanks Gman...I might have passed it up if it weren't for your call on Saturday morning...

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Oct 22, 06 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

seems like there aren't any sensors that work for the ponds, based on this weekend at least. maybe clatsop+10 is closest, but still, nothing is really well in sync. today 9-11:30 was good, fading slowly the whole time. wish i got on the water at 8. you need to treat it like snowboarding on the powder days.

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostMon Oct 23, 06 7:18 am     Reply with quote

Good session for sure!
It was great to see new faces out there enjoying it.
Gabe on the skim shuving it! Sweet.
Girlfriend counted 15 kites total. I have some video footage I can post later when I render it.
But to comment on Tony's comment, I would say that a big board later in the day is generally a good call because east winds generally die mid afternoon.
Saturday was a rare occasion. So whoever the 'mr know it all' was probably was looking out for you and actually made a good suggestion.
No fun = being on the other side of the pond with the tide going out and the wind just suddenly fades to almost nothing....and you are on a 132 with a 12 meter.
I experienced that on a day when the ground is frozen in January. Wind faded after 2 reaches to the other side.... and I ended up at the downwind end of the pond walking in with a failed drysuit full of water......no fun.

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostMon Oct 23, 06 8:51 am     Reply with quote

scottnorby wrote:
Good session for sure!
It was great to see new faces out there enjoying it.
Gabe on the skim shuving it! Sweet.
Girlfriend counted 15 kites total. I have some video footage I can post later when I render it.
But to comment on Tony's comment, I would say that a big board later in the day is generally a good call because east winds generally die mid afternoon.
Saturday was a rare occasion. So whoever the 'mr know it all' was probably was looking out for you and actually made a good suggestion.
No fun = being on the other side of the pond with the tide going out and the wind just suddenly fades to almost nothing....and you are on a 132 with a 12 meter.
I experienced that on a day when the ground is frozen in January. Wind faded after 2 reaches to the other side.... and I ended up at the downwind end of the pond walking in with a failed drysuit full of water......no fun.

Good call Scottnorby...Your right, It's always good to have a larger board.... Especially being it was my first tme out there. Nonetheless, I took the guys advise and ran back to my truck to get a larger board. I didn't need the 157 but you never know. I rather have it and not use it than need it and not have it...It would suck to make a 2 hour drive and find out your spending your time on the beach watching everyone else have fun....Thus, my 132 did the trick and I had lots of fun...It was great...

Oh, and for the most part...I give props to everyone riding out there...Looked like everyone was having a blast while keeping it safe...Awesome spot...

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostSun Oct 29, 06 5:42 pm    thank you whoever took the video of rooster rock on 10/21/06 Reply with quote

I would just like to extend my greatest thanks to the person who took the video @ rooster rock on saturday the 21st. This is the first time i've ever gotten to see myself kiteboarding! Very Happy

That was a wicked day ou there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: