Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

cruise?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostThu Oct 19, 06 9:52 am    cruise? Reply with quote

Got a deal on a cruise from a friend. 7 days...Barbados, BVI, etc...
$500....couldn't pass it up.

Any one have any cruise stories or tips? (other than the typical blue hair jokes)
Only 4 stops.....but 4 full days on those 4 islands.

I doubt I will be able to kite and that sucks. But I am wondering if anyone has ever rented gear for a day in the Carribean?

Last edited by scottnorby on Fri Oct 20, 06 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Oct 19, 06 10:42 am     Reply with quote

Price is right but words of wisdom - don't do it

Went on a cruise with the folks for their 50th anniv. - felt like a caged animal - the food was awesome and the boat was super but all I wanted was off.

Each stop will be great but by the time you get your shit together its time to move to the next spot - seriously considered missing the 5PM back on the boat deadline more than once but the fam would have offed my balls.

So on a 1 week cruise - I got two great sessions. If you're into eating mass quantitites and hanging with grandma - you might dig it.

If you do go - plan your escape at each stop. Figure how to get to be the first off the boat - so your not stuck behind a 1000 choads getting their passport stamped for your brief stop at "best kite beach ever"

I did get some classic questions and overheard one couple
as I was clawing my way off the boat,

"Why do you think that guy brought three bags of laundry on a cruise"

Have fun.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostThu Oct 19, 06 10:52 am     Reply with quote

yah, agreed with Gman.... drink plenty before you go to karaoke each night, and wake up early enough to be one of the first 20 in line to get off the boat....when you go on shore...go where every one else ISN'T. otherwise, you'll be in a 3000 person line.

when I went, there was the whole 'cruise epidemic' going on, and they were required to cook everything through... I'm a med-rare steak person. I was only allowed to order medium, and it always came back well done. I was looking forward to the gourmet food that I always hear about...In my opinion, the food sucked (and we were on the biggest ship in the world -- at that time --2004 i think).

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostThu Oct 19, 06 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

HA...good stuff.
Well I figure I will do it to chalk up some adventure and get 7 days of drinking in.....I didn't think kiting would be much of an option.

But hey.....for $500 INCLUDING my airfare to Florida it's a steal.
I got a deal from my girlfriend's sister who is a travel agent.
The trip normally goes for about $1300.

Going with the girlfriend, who kites too, so we will have to figure out a way to have fun.

Thanks for the feedback.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Oct 20, 06 2:22 pm     Reply with quote

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR WATCH FOR "SHIP'S" TIME WHEN YOU DEPART!!!!!!!!

I missed the ship in Cozemel years ago. I even asked what time the ship departs. They negleted to tell me that the ship didn't change the clocks for local time. I was eating dinner with my friends after our dive and watched my ship sail off. Talk about a crappy feeling in my stomache! All of my family was on the ship except my wife who was at home 9 months pregnant and couldn't travel. They were all worried that I had a diving emergency.

I had nothing with me except a dive bag, flip flops, swim trunks, t-shirt and my dive card. No wallet, no cash, no credit card.

Lucky for me I have a kick ass travel agent and they wired me a ticket to fly back to Miami and some money for cab/hotel.

Just make sure you don't have too much fun kiting and miss the ship. Learn from my mistake!!!!!

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: