Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Naish surf boards
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Oct 27, 06 8:18 am     Reply with quote

47 dk, I think you need some more fins on those sticks. Shocked

Great White

Since 09 Aug 2006
7 Posts
Canada, eh!
Kook

PostFri Oct 27, 06 9:01 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
What are the differences between the swallow tail, square tail and rounded tail?
I assume the square and swallow are more floaty as they have more surface area.

what are your thoughts?

Mark -

Square/Squash tail - more "snappy" turns. Good all-around.

Rounded-pin tail - more drawn out, smooth turns. Can hold a fast line. Better when the surf gets bigger.

Swallow - well, in this case it allows a lot more width and volume back on the board but still lets you sink or wet a rail to turn the thing. It gives you more float in the board without having to add so much extra length so as to have a quick turning, loose little thing. Fun stuff. Fishes are really cool feeling boards - groovy retro style. Good for everything from small messy crap to bigger surf - but a slightly different feel.

47.dk's picture shows the Fish 5'5', the Quad 5'4" and the Roundpin 5'10". That dude has got a really killer quiver of wave boards - good choices that compliment each other.

2007 Naish Wave boards:
www.naishkites.com
T4'7" - wave twintip
Fish5'5" - swallow twin-fin fish
OS5'2" - round tail thruster
OS5'5" - square tail thruster
SS4'10" - squash tail thruster
SS5'4" - square/squash tail quad-fin
SS5'10" - round-pin tail thruster

Personally, of these boards I choose the swallow-tail fish for small messy stuff, the 5'4" quad fin when I'm just lit-out-of-my-gourd and want to ride with more kite power (as opposed to just wave power) and the 5'10" round-pin when it gets big. The 5'5" is my favourite of the bunch for strapless. But the 5'2" and 4'10" are just too small for a big guy like me (6'6", 235lbs).

I hope that helps.

-Kyle

47.dk

Since 26 Oct 2006
4 Posts

Kook

PostSat Oct 28, 06 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

The Fish...
Pure fun.. And works in light wind, or underpowered. Straps/no straps... I call it my "Skimboard for waves".. Laughing

The 5.10
Its a lot like the SS SRT 5.11 (Best Waveboard in 2006 IMHO) Its a little faster, but a good all round waveboard that will work for most people.

The 5.4..
Come on baby... This is the shit.... Freaking fast, and just so different than any 3 fin setups boards ever tried..

This is my baby, and needs powered kite to exel, but what a ride... If your are in to the more powerful style, like Polakow waveriding then this the new shit.. I think we will see more of these "Tow-In 4 fins boards in 2008"...

have fun, and NEVER cutback before you hit lip vertical... Wink

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostWed Nov 01, 06 2:11 pm     Reply with quote

I agree I am looking at the fish and the ss quad, changing my UG 5'8'' to get a liitle more range on my board. The UG works fine, and it is a good bard, but once the winds start getting more demanding, the board has roblems holding the power. I think instead of having the 5'8'' for everything, the FISH and the quad will compliment each other nicely. I had a look at them in the shop, and both look great...and I'm not sure but they sounded more affordable than my UG as well...

A.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: