Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Woodpig

Since 17 Oct 2006
30 Posts
Albany

PostTue Oct 17, 06 4:04 pm    Newbie Reply with quote

Hi
I am new and have been monitoring this and just about any other KB sources for sometime. I am ready to move on learning more and start doing.... My plan is to get a trainer kite and get some time under my belt. Followed by lessons then gathering the other needed gear to get into the addiction.

I have seen many pros and cons regarding 2 line and 4 line trainer kites and have narrowed down (for now) a best 3m or an HQ Beamer 3.6. I am leaning towards the HQ since it will be more applicable later and possibly be used for snow?.... I know the learning curve is steeper and the cost is more (nearly double). Is it worth the extra $$? Could it be used for other applications like snow?....

I am also looking into a harness but again many choices...... leaning to a waist harness but also see the jacket/harness 1 piece... I would like to purchase something I will use through my transition from beginner to beginner+1 (still uncertain how tough this will be since I am just ok at wakeboarding and my sailing experience may not be applicable).

I’ll try not to wear out the goodwill and will try not to ask too many dumb questions, reciprocate where I can but would like to get started on that trainer so my lessons will not be such a steep curve.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 17, 06 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Woodpig,

2006 is such a great time to get into the sport.

Get a 2 line trainer kite. It doesn't have much use beyond learning with, but don't forget about being able to give your friends a trainer kite lesson down the road when you want to get your buddies into the sport. I still whip out my trainer kite for fun when the wind isn't cooperating, or when it's blowing 40 knots and I have my skim board with me. (High speed kiteloop downwinder at the coast in an inch of water)

I would go with the Dakine Nitro board shorts. I see more and more of these out on the water and they're a rather mature product. I first saw them used in 2004. You get the waist harness look with the seat harness feel. This will keep you from fighting with your harness rising on you. Seat harnesses will also help you with your jumps as it makes it easy to lay back and slow any possible body rotation. Not that a waist harness wouldn't work, its just one less thing to worry about so you can focus on fun!

Good luck and hope to see you on the water soon!

-Forrest

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostTue Oct 17, 06 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

woodpig,

i started this last spring and i can say that you doing your research will save you countless mistakes in the future. instead of getting lessons i racked the internet and luckily had light winds.

i've come from a snowboarding background and can say that kiting has become my new addiction. there is no feeling that compares to the kite lifting you off the water (or wherever).
One thing that a lot of kiters dont research is the weather. it is important to know everything you can about pressure systems and cloud formations. it will save your life someday.

-solflyer

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Oct 17, 06 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

I'd personally just go for the 2 line trainer as well. When you're dealing with kites as small as they are (even ~3m), they're mainly just designed to get you used to flying/steering a kite. Not that they don't have some pull when the wind starts cranking (JP - importracer999 and I've had our B3 up at Newport during the winter when it's ~50kts, and it's amazing how much power that thing has; you could probably amost ride). But seriously, if you'd even want to try using the thing for snowkiting, you'd probably need something a little bigger, unless you're in ultra high wind.

Harness... I've always used a waist harness without any problems, but I think it's mainly personal preference. When you say "jacket/harness 1 piece", are you talking about the impact vest style harnesses? If so, and you think you'll always be wearing it, then it's probably a good investment. If you're thinking of using it just for a little extra floatation while you're learning, I wouldn't waste my time. They provide a little extra buoyancy, but so does a normal waist harness.

Sounds like you've got the idea though. Get your trainer, fly it a lot, fly it so much that you can control it without staring at it in the sky the whole time, then you'll probably be at a really good point to move on! Good luck

Woodpig

Since 17 Oct 2006
30 Posts
Albany

PostTue Oct 17, 06 10:30 pm    Thanks and I'll order tomorrow Reply with quote

Thanks everyone I really appreciate the input. I will order the 2 line kite and probably harness tomorrow Wink

A bit about me.... haven't had a hobby for a few years.... between kids, working on my masters and work at a high tech there was little time. kidds are older and school done so Im down to 12 hrs a day Wink and hope to ditract myself. I used to have what I called the hobby wheel and was into motocross, snowmobiles, competitive shooting (member of the oregon service rifle high power team in nationals a few years ago) Radio contol airplanes, skiing, boating, sailing blah blah blah..

Getting back into a few distrations but this looks like the ticket.

Tell you what..... the help is appreciated and perhaps I can plan a trip to Diamond lake (Mt. Baily, Crater Lake area) this winter. I have a family Cabin there and a couple of snowmobiles to get in. Noticed on the ODOT cam there is ~6inches so who knows....

Thanks again

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostWed Oct 18, 06 4:44 am     Reply with quote

Cabin! Cabin! Cabin!

lol, its definately a great sport. Like other said, don't fret on the trainer kite. get some used piece of trash on e-bay. You will quickly grow tired of the trainer (especially when you get on the water).

Lessons are key and buy the nicest top of the line mack daddy full wetsuit so you can get out early and be shredding by the time the sun is really shining!!

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostWed Oct 18, 06 6:19 am     Reply with quote

If you have time and money and want to jump start your learning goto south padre island tx this spring or in the fall or laventana baja mexico this winter. both places are better learning spots then the gorge with full leasons and gear avalible.

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostWed Oct 18, 06 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

its imbearesing but i agree on the south padre island bit. i spent two years flying kites and being to afraid to actually kiteboard with all of the crowds and deep water. another great place to learn is Floras lake on the southern oregon coast. Going somwhere without crowds and with shallow water was key for me! I also wear nitrous shorts and i love them.
good luck!
http://floraslake.com/flw2.html

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Oct 18, 06 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

That's not so bad. JP and I started ~6 years ago at Sauvies, land jumped for 3 years (JP had his Wipika 8.4 which was basically underpowered 12m by today's standards). Went to Oahu, rode Kailua in 2003, land jumped more, then finally bought my own kites last summer and started riding more frequently. Jesus I suck!

Woodpig

Since 17 Oct 2006
30 Posts
Albany

PostWed Oct 18, 06 7:07 pm    I will have to check into the flights Reply with quote

haven't had a real vacation in years and south sounds great...

I have to get my priorities straight.... didn't get the kite ordered but will tomorrow. I agree the nitrous shorts look great and that should be the ticket

Thanks again

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Oct 18, 06 8:49 pm     Reply with quote

woodpig, huh? interesting username. oh well. . .

i say be afraid, be very afraid. the mission, should you decide to accept it, is to learn to kiteboard and keep it as a manageable part of your life. kids-wife, too? well, then, does the missus kite? if not, andi f YOU really catch the bug (its going arround) then good luck with her as well as the old 401k when this happy crappy gets aholt a ya.

i know, we all know. who here has never called in sick at work to kite? gone home early (cough, cough-got a chill), given up a good job to kite more? lost a relationship to kiting? gone to sleep thinking about kiting? woke up with the same thoughts? wondered if you would rather give up sex than your favorite 13m day?

since my 03 lessons in the gorge: floras a gazillion times, south padre island X 3, hatteras X 3, ventana, cozumel, st kitts, grenada, margarita island, puerto rico, nitinat, now instead of investing money i just do a direct deposit to continental hairlines.

well good luck. its a great sport, but more like a ferkin' religion.

pm me if you want to kite with someone from salem and maybe rideshare to the gorge next year.

jimmi

newgirl

Since 03 Sep 2006
16 Posts
Beaverton

PostTue Oct 24, 06 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

Hey,
I'm new this year too and have been scanning the forum for tidbits. I agree on the 2 line trainer, I got a 3B from slinghot. Practic it ALOT. Then take a lesson. Probably more. I did a camp but still feel like I need several more lessons. It's tough fitting kiting into a full life, as in, I work 2 part time jobs, run a home and have 3 kids....but I'm still going for it.

If you want another new person to laugh at mistakes and ask each other dumb questions, like..where do the newbie set up versus the pros, then keep me in mind.

Good luck!

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostTue Oct 24, 06 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

woodpig,

lemme know when you plan on coming down to daimond lake, i live about an hour south of there and kite the mountians pretty frequently. there's great back country around here and is in desparate need to be discovered and exploited(not really)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: