Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

An End to Kiteboarding, or a new Knee? Or Both?
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 16, 12 1:37 pm    An End to Kiteboarding, or a new Knee? Or Both? Reply with quote

OK, here I sit pumped up on Narcotics after an operation that was supposed to have me kiteboarding again by mid January. Instead, the doc told me--after finding damaged cartilage--quit kiteboarding or lose the knee. BTW, this is the same doc who got me running Ironman Triathlons again after damage to the same leg. So, he is a guy who knows athletes and is geared towards getting them active again. Not his fault I couldn't fully recover from getting hit by a fast moving car while out running...

So, what the fuck? What the fuck do I do? Obviously, I have to get back in some semblance of shape despite the injuries I still have from getting run over. That may slow things down. If knee replacement was a 100% fix I'd just do it and be done with it. But it's not...

OK, I have to change how I ride obviously. I need a board and pads that more than anything else limit shock to the knee. Suggestions? I could do boosts I guess, if I never tried to land them??? Just land on my ass? Not as fun or as challenging, but better than watching TV and getting fatter...

I've tried to find success stories about active life with knee replacements, not having any luck. Any inspiring stories out there? I could use one. Any stories about advances in knee replacements just around the corner? I could use one of those too.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Dec 16, 12 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

strapless surfboard and a knee brace. Don't think you want boots that would lock you in when you crash. Ride what FEELS safe and none damaging. You know what your body can and can't do.....

www.naishkites.com

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSun Dec 16, 12 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

Nak, sorry to hear about the bum news with your knee, but I would not give up kiteboarding. Just change riding styles that are smoother and easier on the joints. Kitesurfing with surfboards is way easier on the knees than jumping twintips and in my opinion, a hell of alot more fun. The challenge is there for sure with waveriding and you can charge as hard as your personal limits will allow.

Idea Idea Idea

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostSun Dec 16, 12 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

damn Nak Sad that sucks. I hope u figure something out it would suck to not see you out on the water again Sad

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Dec 16, 12 2:45 pm     Reply with quote

That sucks Nak

But I agree with mark and windian - you might find strapless directional low impact and who knows the balance skills might strengthen the muscles around your knee

U could even wear sneaks for the extra cush - light wind and flat water would be a good place to start and then see how it goes - just don't push it in waves, chop, nuking winds

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 16, 12 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm thinking strapless surfboard and sneakers just might have to be the answer. LOL, Barnes has been giving me shit for a while now about that anyway! Twintip in flatwater spots and landing boosts on my ass... Hey, at least I have an excuse now. Smile I will miss the nuking East winds though. Surviving massive winds, chop and bitter temperatures always makes you feel so alive.

flybykite

Since 07 Dec 2011
10 Posts
Saltspring Island, BC

PostSun Dec 16, 12 4:15 pm     Reply with quote

You might also benefit from a race kite like Switch Nitro 2 or a flysurfer. Both would have butter soft landings and loads of float time and time to react when you see yourself coming in hot. Sorry to hear about the Doc's news. Quiting kiteboarding isnt really an option is it? Theres always another answer when doctors give you a black and white reality check. Yoga will certainly help before and after sessions.
Heres one inspiring story I saw lately. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSun Dec 16, 12 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

Very sorry to hear this Nak (other than being blasted on narcotics). I don't know about riding style being more or less risky but I've been amazed at how little of a kite I can get away with in nuking wind and a surfboard. My father in law had both of his knees replaced and waited to do it until he was pretty old. Complete failure, never really recovered. If you find a good dr. and method probably wouldn't wait, do it while you're young (or "young"). Good luck bro!

bustingbladder

Since 12 Jul 2006
386 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

PostSun Dec 16, 12 4:48 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, what Mark said. No kiteloops, get a custom fitted brace with a 15% hyper extension wedge, ride surfboard (much smoother on knees in chop than TT), get into wave riding and continue enjoying the sport you love. I know dudes with no meniscus and are bone on bone that still snowboard like Kings and kite like banshees! All is not lost... Personally, I ripped a 30% medial collateral meniscus back in 2009 with partial removal and healed fine still ripping today! I know how you feel and have an amazing sports medicine doctor who laid it down to me probably similar to your scolding. Just make the necessary changes and go grab it by the horns brutha! Don't let anyone tell you that a custom fitted brace wont help. They do! I've been using a Townsend Designs (NFL uses pretty much exclusively for lineman and tons of extreme skiers) for years now and they work! Good luck man.
Wally Gator

Transcend Apparel http://www.transcendapparel.com/
Urban Surf http://www.urbansurf.com/
Alohabrothers Racing Oahu, HI

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 16, 12 4:58 pm     Reply with quote

barfly wrote:
My father in law had both of his knees replaced and waited to do it until he was pretty old. Complete failure, never really recovered. If you find a good dr. and method probably wouldn't wait, do it while you're young (or "young"). Good luck bro!
The problem is that the knee replacement doesn't last forever. Right now you get about 15 years out of one. So, getting it done young just means that the clock starts ticking earlier. Hopefully, technology will come along and a better solution will be developed.

What sucks too is I was just starting to run again! I had an operation last year that finally cleared up the damaged nerves that were keeping me from running and biking. needless to say, running is even more out of the question than kiting...

Lesson learned: don't ever get hit by a speeding car kids. It's not near as fun as it sounds!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 16, 12 5:01 pm     Reply with quote

bustingbladder wrote:
Yes, what Mark said. No kiteloops, get a custom fitted brace with a 15% hyper extension wedge, ride surfboard (much smoother on knees in chop than TT), get into wave riding and continue enjoying the sport you love. I know dudes with no meniscus and are bone on bone that still snowboard like Kings and kite like banshees! All is not lost... Personally, I ripped a 30% medial collateral meniscus back in 2009 with partial removal and healed fine still ripping today! I know how you feel and have an amazing sports medicine doctor who laid it down to me probably similar to your scolding. Just make the necessary changes and go grab it by the horns brutha! Don't let anyone tell you that a custom fitted brace wont help. They do! I've been using a Townsend Designs (NFL uses pretty much exclusively for lineman and tons of extreme skiers) for years now and they work! Good luck man.
Wally Gator

OK, I would like to hear more about both the guys with no meniscus and more about this brace. Thanks!

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Dec 16, 12 5:05 pm     Reply with quote

sorry to hear it

got a friend down here that had double knee replacement at 62 and is back out riding a surfboard and Mako with straps and boosting with the occasional ass landing but still smiling big even on the 7M days

you never know how far you can go till you try...

flybykite

Since 07 Dec 2011
10 Posts
Saltspring Island, BC

PostSun Dec 16, 12 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

I've got a friend who has had both knees replaced twice! He does wear knee braces for activity (not a kiter) but hiked up Machu Picchu recently. Thats pretty hard on the knees for sure and hes certainly overweight. I wear a brace sometimes when I'm overpowered or trying new tricks. Had a ACL separation with cartilage damage a few years back in motocross. Surgery and rehab has been finished for a year and a half and I've been on the water over 300 days in the past 18 months.
The brace is great! It has certainly saved me more surgery or recovery. Get a custom fit job, talk to orthopedic clinic for the best options. They run about $1400 for the best and are adjustable. If you are in sandy spots, the brace will need an overhaul once every 1.5 years to keep it in shape.
Really though, the brace is not going to stop impact just help with the knee moving in the wrong direction due to weak muscles around the injury.
Best advice anyone can give you is build the muscle around the knee and thighs with loads of rehab. Good luck mate.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSun Dec 16, 12 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

Strapless surfboard with a nice gushy deck pad. I really think this will not only work for your knee, but be as, if not more fun than riding a tt

Eric

massterb

Since 16 Apr 2010
17 Posts

PostSun Dec 16, 12 7:41 pm     Reply with quote

worth a look if your kite career is at stake: http://www.regenexx.com/the-regenexx-procedures/knee-surgery-alternative/#

Jellyfisher

Since 01 May 2012
9 Posts

Kook

PostSun Dec 16, 12 8:05 pm    Try prolotherapy Reply with quote

I agree, go strapless. Then, fix your knee.
And chances are good that you can regenerate your knee regardless of what your ortho surgeon says, with prolotherapy. PRP prolo and/or stem cells is the way to go. Keep your original equipment, stay off the surgeon's table. I see cases like yours every week, and most get back to their sports with no more surgery. Seriously. Check out www.MyCTM.org Cool

kyle.vh

Since 11 Jul 2007
713 Posts
city of angels
Addicted

PostSun Dec 16, 12 8:16 pm     Reply with quote

Deeply sorry to hear about that, Nak.
Consider getting a second opinion, your doc sounds good, but everyone has their biases, even docs. Be wary of folks who can't cite peer reviewed clinical research. Good luck, and best wishes. If your knees still hurting the next time you're in LA, hit me up, I've got a handplane with your name on it, we can seek out some mini-barrels.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: