Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

An End to Kiteboarding, or a new Knee? Or Both?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 16, 12 10:10 pm     Reply with quote

kyle.vh wrote:

Consider getting a second opinion, your doc sounds good, but everyone has their biases, even docs.
Actually he's my third opinion, the first two had worse things to say. Shocked

Thanks for all of the input everybody! I'll be researching every avenue.

And thanks for the sentiment just as much! Very Happy

morecoffee

Since 24 Aug 2011
22 Posts

PostSun Dec 16, 12 11:16 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe look into a foil board?. Supposedly once you're up on the foil you don't get pounded by every little bit of chop.

(and er, hello nwkite, I ride in the SF bay area, just check on nwkite sometimes because I get to portland once a year)

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Dec 17, 12 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Maybe I missed this bit, but what exactly is happening that you can't keep kiting? I assume you have been damaging your meniscus and he just did a quick fix operation on it? Now you are running low on cartilage?

Kiting is tough on knees no doubt. Landing hard, riding in chop.... My left knee has gone under the knife a couple times and I am 32.

I do think strapless surfboard is easier on them but its still an impact sport. My knees can still hurt after a strapless session (maybe its the boosting Wink .) A good knee brace is another good idea. My guess is you will probably do less damage with strapless and knee brace but eventually might end up at the same place.

I wouldn't rule out the knee replacement but I really don't know anything about it. Maybe try posting on Kiteforum or check out some of the ski forums where people have talked about knee replacements and activities after them.

I have heard that they are making progress on technologies to regrow cartilage but it sounds like still 10 years out. Unfortunately its the one thing that wears out that doesn't grow back.

Try a donjoy knee brace and strapless for a season and see how your doing after that. Or just come wakesurfing with me, easy on the knees Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Dec 17, 12 8:01 am     Reply with quote

One more thing - unless your Doc kites, they usually don't get it. So maybe better to ask things like: Can I run? Can I ski? Can I snowboard?

Then maybe you will get better information then just hearing "stop"

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 17, 12 8:40 am     Reply with quote

Nak:

My opinion with joint injuries is that one easy way to significantly prolong the life of a joint - especially knees and shoulders - is to lose unhealthy weight. I obviously have no idea what weight category you are in, but if there is weight to be lost I think you would benefit hugely by shedding some.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 17, 12 8:59 am     Reply with quote

I ride surfboards with 2 layers of padding.
Normal kite surfboards usually come with very thin pads on the rear and front. I get a full pad from Nortshore in HR and apply this over the thin factory pads. It doesn't add much weight. No need for wax. Easy on the knees and ankles.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 17, 12 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Thanks PKH and all!

I'll hear more on Friday, but apparently the cartilage is worse than torn, it's soft. I've beaten it up so bad over the years that it's soft and pieces are missing. Continued abuse will damage it further. How much abuse and what I can do are things I'm trying to figure out now. I'll be talking to several docs at the least.

I'm sure weight has played a factor. Letting myself gain weight after I was forced to give up Triathlons clearly was a contributing factor. I will rectify that now, but it might be a case of too little too late.

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Dec 17, 12 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:

I'm sure weight has played a factor. Letting myself gain weight after I was forced to give up Triathlons clearly was a contributing factor. I will rectify that now, but it might be a case of too little too late.

Nak - if you are serious about dropping some weight I could work with you and help you create a work out plan. I offerred to help Forrest look like "Morrest" but he didn't take me up on that offer Laughing

But seriously - we could look at what you could do. Stationary bike, swim, rowing machine, eliptical, lift weights, etc. and then move on from there. I'll have time the first couple of weeks of January.

I can also work on a nutrition plan - take a look at what you are currently putting in your body and then try to make the least amount of change to get the most amount of gain (I mean loss).

lubomm

Since 15 Aug 2007
247 Posts
Hood
Stoked

PostMon Dec 17, 12 10:53 am     Reply with quote

Nak, sorry to hear that.
How about a foil board, ha! Never done it, but looks like a smooth ride...
Met a guy at Rufus windsurfing with a replaced knee. He sails even in the winter on a sunny windy day at Rufus. Maybe you can meet him and talk.

Lou

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Dec 17, 12 11:00 am     Reply with quote

@ Moto: I'll take you up on that! I need to find out from the doc what exercises I can do. It'll be after the first of the year before I've healed up enough to do to much I think. Thanks!!!

@Lubomm: Yeah, I'd like to talk to anyone I can that is active with a replaced knee.

Campbell

Since 07 Sep 2008
409 Posts
Camas, WA
Obsessed

PostMon Dec 17, 12 11:08 am     Reply with quote

Nak, so sorry to hear about the prognosis. Hit me up if you want the name of the doc in Bend that we talked about. I have been doing low impact training for the last year because of my ankle as well. We should get together and I can give you some ideas. An equally important part of weight loss though is coming up with a nutritional plan and sticking with it. Becky has some ideas and can help if you're interested.

Im a firm believer in attitude and hard work...where there's a will there's a way, youre gonna get out there soon buddy!!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Dec 17, 12 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

#1. quit spending so much time on your knees
#2. Buy a beastly downhill bike and go riding with me gene and forrest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVvAw2VFR4Y&feature=PlayList&p=FB7233C37686AC79&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=34

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Dec 17, 12 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

bummer nak

a couple of quick notes

1) those dorky looking squats they teach at cross fit actually work! (in my experience). i gave up running for years due to knee problems but now much better.

(cross fit might be hard on your knees since the whole "go to exhaustion" thing is not great for form. i just hired a cross fit instructor to teach me good form. you'd think deep squatting would wreck your knees but the experience of many is that with good form it's the ultimate knee rehab).

2) downwindering on a sup is super fun. (some say gay, but even the president supports gay marriage, so gay is ok). you grab little surfs, walk back and forth to avoid the pearl, etc. it's for sure much easier on your knees than grinding upwind in chop or landing a hard jump.

good luck

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostMon Dec 17, 12 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
@ Moto: I'll take you up on that! I need to find out from the doc what exercises I can do. It'll be after the first of the year before I've healed up enough to do to much I think. Thanks!!!

Sounds good. Just hit me up.

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Dec 17, 12 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

after lots of knee issues I gave up jumping and have only ride strapless surfboard for the last 2 seasons. Made a huge differance in knee pain I don't even feel like you need lots of padding when strapless you just don't bash thru chop like you do with straps. if you do jump if you don''t land it smooth you come off.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostMon Dec 17, 12 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

Platelet-rich plasma therapy worked for Brandon Roy, for about 5 NBA games lol.

Seriously though, my knees hurt after riding a TT, but never after riding strapless. I still have plenty of cartilage, but I've had an ACL surgery and have knee pain regularly.

Andy

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Dec 17, 12 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

hey nak, I hope you don't give it all up. positive thoughts!
last winter I had a bad break that required plates in my ankle. actually broke it riding strapless haha
my doctor told me I would be able to do most of the stuff I did before the injury assuming I listened to him during my recovery. I took it seriously, I even changed my riding style like many others have mentioned. I still jump on a TT when its cranking but find it much more rewarding to go strapless. whether you ride a surfboard, wakeskate or skim, this is going to change how it feels on your knee. and stay away from the choppy conditions. I also started wearing shoes with my surfboard and skate and my ankle was great all summer. anyhow heal up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: