Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

tips on air transitions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Oct 13, 06 10:36 am    tips on air transitions? Reply with quote

First, thanks to everyone who replied to my question about how to land big jumps softly. I tried them out at RR last Monday and they worked great. One of the best tips was to sheet out while coming down and then sheet in at the last second.. I could really feel my descent slowing down when I did this.

Now I'd like to learn how to get air during a transition. Usually, I send the kite to get the air, and as soon as I have lost all forward speed, I keep the kite at 12, and end up landing with almost no speed in any direction. Before I can send the kite in the new direction, I sink.

If I try to send the kite in the new direction while I'm still in the air, I end up swinging out (in the old direction... which is fun), but also downwind of the kite, which slackens the lines, and the kite dies.

Can someone describe the overall technique in detail? Or give a few general tips?

Thanks!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Oct 13, 06 10:53 am     Reply with quote

I don't have the time to type it all out right now but I will pass this tip along to you.

if you have a high speed connection, go to totalvid.com. Get an account, and then you can DL and wacth all kinds of kiteboard movies for like $7 a month. Tons of movies actually. Anyways, DL the progression kiteboard series. Awesome instruction on jumping, spinning, front rolls, back rolls, and spinning transitions, etc. hands down the best instrcutional vid out there!!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Oct 13, 06 4:08 pm     Reply with quote

Here is another source of videos for learning. This one is Free!

http://www.kitefilm.com/eng/weeklytrick.asp

Mark

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Oct 13, 06 4:24 pm     Reply with quote

you know I never quite got the hang of the ones where you just swoop the kite back across. And if you watch guys who are really good at them, it seems like 1/2 the time they plop down with no power and end up slogging away.

So I say, go straight for downloop transitions... you land with power and speed every time, even in really light wind. Its also easier timing IMO. With a front roll it feels real sweet and super smooth. Sometimes you get an extra lift from the downloop and you get this weightless feeling of just stopping in mid air with your kite flying in front of you... its fun.

I'd just start practicing them on a light day, you can get your ass handed to you if you don't commit fully to the downloop. Make sure you put the hand your going to loop with all the way out near the end of the bar so you have no trouble commiting to the loop. Other than that there is nothing to it. Jump, wait till your at the peak and just about to start heading back down, then let go your back hand and pull on your front hand hard. Don't stop pulling till your on the water and riding away.

Thumb's Up

jonah

Since 20 Jul 2006
169 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostFri Oct 13, 06 4:48 pm     Reply with quote

Interesting suggestion, Phil. I've been doing downloop transitions when I'm on the water, so I think it should be easy to give those a try. Though when I do them on the water, I find that I get very powered by the end of the loop. Do you want to have killed all forward momentum (by sending hard, maybe so much so that you start moving in the new direction) before you initiate the downloop?

Thanks for the kite movie links. Kitefilm is great for advanced moves, but they don't really explain the theory behind the moves that much (or do enough slo-mo action). I did look at the one they have on transitions. Their advice is just to not move the kite too quickly.

I'll try TotalVid, they have a 7 day free trial too.

Thanks

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostFri Oct 13, 06 5:08 pm     Reply with quote

I agree with Phil that overall downloop transitions are smoother and in a sense almost easier, hence I do those almost all of the time. If you want to downloop without committing to something too close to a kiteloop I would recommend getting the timing so that you've already landed by the time the kite passes the bottom of the loop (at 6 o'clock). That way while coming down at first the kite smoothes the descent like a normal jump (as it moves from 12 to 9 o'clock), but by the time you've landed it's moving in the opposite direction and pulling you that way as well.

If you're still interested in the straight transition jump you should try to land with the kite somewhat powered. If the kite reaches the edge of the window before you come down then you'll get dropped (and probably swing around before the drop). To accomplish this you might need to hold the kite above your head longer than usual and probably even move it forward a bit. Then once you're close enough to the water (judge this for yourself) send the kite backwards, a bit harder than normal to overcome the forward momentum. This way the kite flies across the window a bit lower than usual, generating some nice pull in the backwards direction. If you don't do this quite right and the kite still ends up at the edge of the window too soon then you might need to send the kite down to get some more pull out of it and tension the lines. Now ride away smiling 'cause you just stuck a sweet transition. Play around with the timing and technique, but hopefully this is close enough to the truth that you can nail it.

Good luck!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Oct 13, 06 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

jpeskin wrote:
Interesting suggestion, Phil. I've been doing downloop transitions when I'm on the water, so I think it should be easy to give those a try. Though when I do them on the water, I find that I get very powered by the end of the loop. Do you want to have killed all forward momentum (by sending hard, maybe so much so that you start moving in the new direction) before you initiate the downloop?

There are a bunch of ways to skin the cat on that one... If you loop it all the way while your at the peak of the jump, you will be in for a pretty rough landing but it will feel and look sweet. If you loop it too late (say land mid loop) it will be pretty rough landing but not that bad, then you will get a bit of a lurch when the kite loops.

Worst case scenario you don't commit to the loop and kite plummets into water while you are still in the air. Always commit!! Very Happy

If you go into the jump a little slow and manage to stall in the air (no horizontal movement) then loop just as you begin descending, you will get the smoothest landing.

Try it with a frontroll, you will land with all your lines straight. Very Happy

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Oct 14, 06 10:04 am     Reply with quote

I would say if your swinging out your sending the kite too fast the other way. Confused

tstansbury

Since 06 Jun 2006
649 Posts
Rowena and P.C
Addicted

PostMon Oct 16, 06 7:44 am     Reply with quote

The only one I do is a backroll with the kite a 12 then dive the kite hard in the new direction right as i land.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: