Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

New Launch sites in Gorge
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostFri Oct 06, 06 11:44 am    New Launch sites in Gorge Reply with quote

Have heard that Burlington Northern RR is going to by providing a in -lieu access to the river to replace some lost at dougs beach(?) Have heard rumours from CGWA people that several sites are under consideration inluding Narrows, Wind River and Wyeth area. Have heard that east and west wind potential is being evaluated but I wonder if any kiters have input to this process? These sound like prime spots....

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Oct 06, 06 12:02 pm     Reply with quote

Wyeth and the Narrows totally make sense in regards to the large amounts of land that are between the river and the train tracks. Both areas also access some great wind/river and work on both easterlies and westerlies. Great downwinder start points for going either direction.

Alan, if you hear more... Please post, as this is something that I would totally like to be involved in. It only seems logical that both sports would be considered in the access plan to make accomodations for each. Othewise there could be potential launching issues as both groups will ultimately be using the same site.

Thanks, Jon

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Oct 06, 06 12:39 pm    Need a grassy launch at... Reply with quote

Boneyards!!!! Railslides off the triple-trailers YEAHHHRRRRR!!!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostFri Oct 06, 06 1:57 pm     Reply with quote

What the hell happened to the new and improved CGKBA?

I'm a member and haven't heard a thing. I know $20 doesn't go that far but come on people, has there even been a meeting since August?
Sad

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostFri Oct 06, 06 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

The CGKA has been meeting every month, and we are working towards preserving and expanding access.

This organization was just revamped in June while the CGWA has been organized for many years; so keep in mind that tangible benefits take a while to see.

Thanks for your support, and keep in mind that everyone on the CGKA board voulenteers their time and energy to help keep all of our playground open.

If you feel like not enough is being done step up and help out, we certainly could use your energy and drive.

www.cgka.net

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 06, 06 4:10 pm     Reply with quote

There are some progressive ideas being negotiated amongst local gorge organizations (alongside the CGWA) to work on some new waterfront access locations.
Some of the most important aspects of these opportunities is in working with supporting organizations that have similar recreational interests and are able to help organize the funds for purchasing, developing and maintaining the sites.

As things progress further, information will be made public.

Definitely gives some motivation for the CGKA to build up it's membership, working budget, and developing public relations.
And, most importantly, establishing long-term relationships with the Federal and State parks departments, State govt officials, Gorge Commission, Friends of the Gorge, BNSF, and different Port board of directors (Stevenson, Bingen and Hood River).

This is where it all begins and ends. Membership, financial budgeting, and strong relationships.

It would also make a big statement of support if local kiters began attending the CGWA beach cleanup work parties held twice a year at each major beach launch as a way of supporting our State Parks management of local beach launches. There are usually between 20-40 volunteers, but more is always better, and helps grow support between local organizations.

If anyone is ever interested in learning more about these opportunities, please feel free to contact the Exec Dir for CGWA or even drop me a line.

Thanks
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Kitesail

Since 23 Jun 2006
108 Posts
The Gorge
Stoked

PostSat Oct 07, 06 6:44 am     Reply with quote

Pepi or whom ever –

Just how harmonious are the two associations, CGWA and CGKA? I have belonged to both at some time or another.

My concerns are the philosophical ideas of both associations. I know it’s been discussed before but what progress has been made so far, in regards to working together. There still is animosity between sailing/kiting in the same locals. The Hatchery is a place I feel fairly comfortable kiting in the presence of Windsurfers, however there is still quite a bit of tension there. Swell is out of the question when Windsurfers are present in numbers.

I’d love to kite Dougs, and many other places I used to Windsurf but is it going to be possible to get along?

The CGWA is a stronger more established organization but I am not too sure about their motives in regards to kiters. I’d like to see more public responses from the CGWA director and members; maybe on this forum just how we (Kiters) fit into accessing areas in the Gorge.

Regards,
John

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun Oct 08, 06 12:01 am     Reply with quote

Hi John :
I'll try to answer some of your questions as best as possible.

Are there issues between the two sports here in the Gorge?
As far as my personal experiences have been in working between the two organizations (I am the current President of the CGWA and am the liason between the two organizations), there have been nothing but positive support expressed between the two organizations.

The CGWA board of directors is unanimous in agreeing that a fomal kiteboard organization in the Gorge would be a definite benefit for both windsurfers and kiteboarders alike. The board of directors actually asked me to attend any CGKA meetings made available for me to attend. At this point there has been one public meeting.

In regards to your question about what progress has been made to help make the sports work better together, I had not really been aware of any problem situations between the two sports(?). Obviously, when you list off places like Dougs Beach and the Hatchery, there are always crowding and launch issues, whether you are a kiter or a windsurfer. Attempting to launch kites at an already overcrowded windsurf launch you can't expect everyone to be stoked to see you.
There's not real solution for improving this situation, other than limiting users.

Which leads me to reiterating the need for a strong kiteboarding organization that relies on membership, budget and relationships to work on protecting, maintaining and expanding kiteboarding access on the Columbia River Gorge.
This takes a lot of work, especially throughout the winter season, when most government, state and federal issues are discussed and decided upon.

Due to liability issues, the CGWA cannot have any direct involvement or participation with the sport of kiteboarding. Insurance companies are fairly strict about this sort of situation.
I'm not sure about what other actions the CGWA could be responding to, considering all intentions of the CGWA are positive in support of a stronger CGKA. As far as water access locations go, the CGWA, Washington State Parks, and Oregon State Parks are all in favor of protecting, maintaining and developing all public access to waterfront activities as long as public safety and access are not effected in a negative manner.

*One way to greatly improve relations between the two sports would be for persons like yourself to attend some of the work parties organized by the CGWA to help cleanup and maintain places like Dougs Beach and the Hatchery.*

If you have any suggestions to expand on your concerns please feel free to explain further.

As for the CGKA, the organization has just recently reorganized to focus on certain access issues as well as organizing a recent work party to clean up the Sandbar. I think the CGKA will need to be given some time to really start taking on some of the bigger issues at hand, and starting with babysteps with current issues is probably a very good decision being made by the current board of directors.

The CGWA is an organization that has been around for almost 20 years and has spent a great deal of time and effort fundraising and organizing volunteers to accomplish many of it's goals of promoting, maintaining and developing waterfront access for windsurfers on the Columbia River Gorge. Many of the sites used by kiters were discovered, developed and are currently maintained by the CGWA (Dougs Beach, Hatch, Viento, Mosier, Maryhill, Rufus, and Roosevelt to name a few).

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Kitesail

Since 23 Jun 2006
108 Posts
The Gorge
Stoked

PostSun Oct 08, 06 7:15 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for responding Pepi –

Please do not take offense by any comments made; it is merely for open discussion.

Sounds like you’re the right person for gathering information here. Good to hear that you’re acting as a liaison between the two organizations. (but one CGKA meeting thus far?)

On the surface I think there is stoke to see the two wind sports enjoying the same accesses in the Columbia River Gorge, however the typical areas are small and limited, and as you have mentioned the popular areas are limited and there is no real solution other than limiting users.

The big one here “Liability Issues”, please explain….. Why can’t the CGWA have direct involvement or participation with the sport of kiteboarding? Is it that the insurances and liabilities get escalated by the use of kiters?....if so, how will the CGKA merge into the same accesses currently enjoyed by the CGWA, or does the CGKA need to develop all new areas, funding and working with the Washington and Oregon Parks?

Suggestions:
• A typical kiter needs room for laying out lines and rigging, however this could be in a parking lot or out of the way of the beach if necessary. Doing this at the beach is a true luxury in the Gorge. (We can unwind our lines by swimming out into the water)
• I’d say that since I have been kiting a larger percent of kiters don’t adhere to the “right of way” all the time like windsurfers do. I think maybe it’s because the kite flies so high in the sky and kiters are often doing aerials and when finally on a tact port or starboard becomes a second thought.
• Kiters do best when launching downwind from windsurfers and the general public.
• When sailing too close to windsurfers (if unavoidable); typically a respectful thing to do is to fly the kite overhead until there is enough distance between the two parties.
• Coves or dead wind areas are highly desirable for self landing kites.

These are a just a few…

Ouote: The CGWA is an organization that has been around for almost 20 years and has spent a great deal of time and effort fundraising and organizing volunteers to accomplish many of it's goals of promoting, maintaining and developing waterfront access for windsurfers on the Columbia River Gorge. Many of the sites used by kiters were discovered, developed and are currently maintained by the CGWA (Dougs Beach, Hatch, Viento, Mosier, Maryhill, Rufus, and Roosevelt to name a few).

*Pepi, do you yourself kite? (just want to know if you first hand experience the typical requirements to rig, launch, ride, and land a power kite.)

Thanks so much,
John

Last edited by Kitesail on Sun Oct 08, 06 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Oct 08, 06 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Has the CGKA met since August 31st? That was the last meeting minutes posted on their website.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostSun Oct 08, 06 9:56 am     Reply with quote

The CGKA has been meeting at least once a month since reforming.

In our very short 3.5 month history, we have put on a sandbar cleanup (which really helped make the best out of the high water we had all summer) and put on a BBQ. Over 60 people have stepped up and joined, so we are heading in the right direction.

There is a Board Meeting a week from today (10/15/06, 7:00, Trilium's in HR). Eveyones ideas & feedback are always welcome.

The CGWA is a well oiled machine that has been operating for 20+ years, while the CGKA is still in its infancy. We are fortunate to have a group such as the CGWA to model ourselves after, but we cannot expect a free ride on their coat tails. Windsurfers have worked hard to organize themselves and take care of preserving (& expanding) access, now it is our responsibility to do the same.

As the annual exidous out of Hood River (& towards warmer waters) has already began, the Skeleton Crew of the CGKA is getting even smaller. Winter is a key time for us to develop a high water policy for next season, plan events, and define objectives.

Step it up, do your part, and lets keep the playground open.

Shay

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Oct 08, 06 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

Shay - can we join online? If I fill out this form:

http://www.cgka.net/page-6.htm

... is there somewhere I can send the membership fee? Paypal or something?

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostSun Oct 08, 06 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

Membership dues can be paid thru paypal to webmaster@cgka.net or you can drop a check in the mail

CGKA
PO Box 12393
Portland, Or

We will get a die cut out to you as soon as you join, and we will start sending out regular emails with updates (I know we have been lagging on this.)

We plan on using our website as our main channel of communication, but our webmaster is heading out of town for winter. Anyone with experiance want to voulenteer their time for the cause?

Portland Pete

Since 08 Mar 2005
145 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostSun Oct 08, 06 5:41 pm    Just joined Reply with quote

Phil
Here is the process on the webpage
Just joined and paid my $10
Web page is not intuitive

Pete

payment.jpg 
   paypal.jpg 
   response.jpg 
   filloutform.jpg 
   form.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Oct 08, 06 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

Schweet, I'm signed up and paid.

Just post the meeting info here using the CGKA account... then you have meeting minutes + discussion. Very Happy

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSun Oct 08, 06 9:35 pm    RE: Johns questions Reply with quote

[quote]Thanks for responding Pepi –
Please do not take offense by any comments made; it is merely for open discussion.[quote]
>No worries, comments and discussions are the best way for us to work out the issues and needs for kiteboarding here in the Gorge.

[quote]The big one here “Liability Issues”, please explain….. Why can’t the CGWA have direct involvement or participation with the sport of kiteboarding? Is it that the insurances and liabilities get escalated by the use of kiters?....if so, how will the CGKA merge into the same accesses currently enjoyed by the CGWA, or does the CGKA need to develop all new areas, funding and working with the Washington and Oregon Parks?[quote]
> The insurance companies basically say "no way" to kiteboarding, or our coverage is cancelled. The primary focus of the CGWA is for representing the windsurfing community, so the likelyhood of the CGWA incorporating kiteboarding is a bit of a stretch, henceforth the importance of the CGKA.
The CGKA will give kiteboarding 100% of the focus that it needs in being represented to the local, state and governmental organizations.

[quote]*Pepi, do you yourself kite? (just want to know if you first hand experience the typical requirements to rig, launch, ride, and land a power kite.)[quote]
> Yes, I do kite, and have been doing so for about 6-7 years, but don't expect to see me pulling off any impressive moves out on the water. The business I am co-owner of is the local Slingshot dealer in HR.

Thanks
Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Kitesail

Since 23 Jun 2006
108 Posts
The Gorge
Stoked

PostMon Oct 09, 06 6:02 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Pepi and all!

I’ve joined the CGKA a few years back and I’ll join again (thanks for the link Phil). I hope something is in the plan at the Narrows for kiters there; as Bamer mentioned, great spot for East and West winds.

John Bellacera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: