Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Trainer kite recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Habbithobbit

Since 12 Aug 2012
4 Posts

Kook

PostSun Aug 12, 12 1:48 pm    Trainer kite recommendations Reply with quote

Took some classes and want a trainer kite for home to practice. What's the best trainer kite for an 'intermediate' beginner?

brillo

Since 11 Apr 2012
4 Posts

Kook

PostSun Aug 12, 12 9:30 pm     Reply with quote

i've got a 3m hq rush 300 and its great. i'd definitely go for a 3m as opposed to a 2m. 2m just won't generate enough power to keep it interesting.

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Aug 12, 12 9:53 pm     Reply with quote

You might want to consider a true LEI four line, bar with depower system trainer. More expensive than a two line foil, but you'll get a little more feel for a real kite. A small "real" kite, like a 4m, 5m, or 6m will allow you to learn kite control in lighter wind, and then will be a good high wind kite later on. Keep in mind that you can hurt yourself very easily with kites of that size though, even in lighter winds. Respect the kite, fly it controlled, and when you start thinking to yourself "ok, lets see what this baby can do" and decide to fly it into the power zone, don't. Instead, find a safe, clear area in the water where you can practice body dragging, or getting up on the board if you feel ready for that.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 13, 12 5:56 am     Reply with quote

Airush, 3m inflatable. 4 line

Pepi @ Second Wind sells them.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Mize

Since 28 Mar 2011
31 Posts

PostMon Aug 13, 12 8:31 am     Reply with quote

I have a Slingshot B3 and it has been a great Bullet Proof Kite. If you plan on doing any Kite Skating this would be my recommendation. I am a huge Airush fan but their 3m foil kite did not have near the pull as the Slingshot. With that being said, the Airush was a great "Trainer Kite" (Notice I say "was") but not a great traction kite. The inflatables would be good if you plan on practicing body Dragging in water but I have heard the De-power is so minimal it is not realistic to a true LEI kite. Sorry for the brand to brand comparison, they are both great kites but I wanted to give my opinion. If you want a light pull Foil Trainer kite go with the Airush. If you want a 3m Traction kite go with the Slingshot. If you plan on flying over concrete, hard ground, or loaning to a friend, I would probably stay away from the inflatables.

zipperline

Since 02 Aug 2005
66 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Aug 13, 12 8:45 am     Reply with quote

The Airush 3 meter kite is an awesome trainer kite!!! I have been teaching my son to kite this summer.. Foils don't work in the water period.. The keys to learning are more than just flying the kite.. You need to be able to re-launch in the water both ways comfortably and drag before even thinking about grabbing a board.

I agree the stock bar is not the greatest.. You can use any small regular 4 line bar on it with minor mods to the front line pigtail.. 7 inches need to be added so there is more tension on the back lines.. I'm using my smallest slingshot bar 17 cm...

Pepi is aware of this mod and you can call me or email me for info anytime...

riv2511@aol.com 541 806-7267 Grab one of them from second wind.... With a foil you are stuck on land after getting the baisics down.. Inflatable takes you to the next level for sure!!!!!

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Aug 13, 12 11:45 am     Reply with quote

My dos centavos because you're now an "intermediate beginner"....which I think is along the same mantra as "airline food" is buy a used 6m inflatable bridled 4 line kite and fly the hell out of it on land when everybody else is rigging 12 meter or bigger.

It's the legit way for your learning curve because it's what the real world of kiting will be like while in a harness for the same price as a small trainer with the added benefit you don't have to retro a bar, watch it sink in the water, roll up into a ball and not relaunch or try and sell once you're done with it.

You could spend unlimited hours flying that kite....even in a local park on a mellow breezy day....learning how to rig properly, truly understanding and testing all your safety options and even go as far as practice a reverse launch before you ever put on a board if you wish. Personally, the trainer kite step I think is a waste of time and money and the biggest mistake I see everyday is a newbie is in the water worried about body dragging when they have no concept or time invested in actually knowing how to fly the kite clean, which brings most of the problems front and center but with the added bonus of potential drowning. Good times!!!! Shocked Before the flaming starts from all the safety Jerry's on this forum realize that half of these so called "kiters" can't even self-launch or land.

Good luck, wear a helmet and life vest so you get the "real feel."

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostMon Aug 13, 12 11:51 am     Reply with quote

I agree with Sella. Most trainer kites (2 liners) are basically toy/stunt kites that have a bar instead of two control handles. For some people this very basic flying may be a useful intro but overall it doesn't give you a good feel for how a real kite handles or how much force they can generate. I flew mine for about 45 minutes and I've never flown it since.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 13, 12 2:32 pm     Reply with quote

Dern wrote:
Most trainer kites (2 liners) are basically toy/stunt kites that have a bar instead of two control handles. For some people this very basic flying may be a useful intro but overall it doesn't give you a good feel for how a real kite handles or how much force they can generate. I flew mine for about 45 minutes and I've never flown it since.
Totally agree - my experience also. Maybe an hour or so and you're done. That's fine if someone loaned you the kite but not worth the investment of $$$.

Re the inflatable trainer - personally I would not want to go bigger than 4-5m using "real" 4-line bar/lines and then only fly it while standing in waist-deep shallow water - then you can practice body dragging, launching/landing, re-launching, self-rescue, etc with no fear of getting hurt. I'd suggest either Jones Beach (perfect!) or the HR sandbar (when not crowded!).

LEI is the only way to go!

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Aug 13, 12 4:01 pm     Reply with quote

The Slingshot B3's and B4's are great. It's fun to have some foils in your inventory if budget can allow for it.

For skateboarding/landboarding...so easy and fast to get flying...so stable for cocktail hour riding! Thumb's Up Drunk

Oh yeah, and good for family fun.

dkp4802

Since 08 Apr 2014
1 Posts

PostTue Apr 08, 14 5:32 am     Reply with quote

I am new but its sounds like getting a "real" kite is the way to go. I have a line on a a 4m or 5m. Which would be preferable? What else can I do with that size kite? I travel a lot so I would be practicing with it all around the US. Also what would be the safe practice wind guidelines for a 4 or 5? Thanks

Darren

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
106 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostTue Apr 08, 14 9:07 am     Reply with quote

I like having a trainer kite in my car to play with now and then. I got it after learning how to kite. If you've had lessons, more then one, the next step is usually buying gear and getting started figuring it all out with the right kite for the conditions. I know the first steps are scary, and only you know what you're capable of, but it's not a new idea to jump in and get started, after lessons. Just like a trainer kite, You only need to drag yourself around in knee deep water for so long then it's time to start trying it with a board. It also seems to me that you need to respect being hooked into a 5m kite as much as a12m. If there's enough wind to fly the kite, it can yank you off your feet pretty good. If your goal is to be "safer" with a smaller kite, I don't know if the deference is that much.

Inflictor

Since 17 Aug 2013
144 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Apr 08, 14 9:42 am     Reply with quote

Zipperline's got it. Been coaching my buddies on land with this kite, Airrush 3m inflatable, Retro'd a real bar and 22m lines with the 7 inch difference in line length(no bridle) and it's the real deal, full power to depower. Throw the stock stuff away, doesn't work. They can self launch/land, walk with the kite in control, sit down and get boosted to their feet simulating a waterstart both ways, hotlaunch in light wind letting go of the bar to not get jacked,deal with 4 line setup and safety, all the stuff you don't learn with a "trainer". Plus it's a really FUN kite to fly for the experienced kiter! Be careful using anything bigger on land, cockyness will get you hurt quickly. This little ripper has plenty of power and behaves just like my RPM's. We're leaving for Padre this week to "learn" and I'm sure they're going to just get up and ride 1st thing!! It's the way to go. V

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostTue Apr 08, 14 9:47 am     Reply with quote

I encourage buying a normal trainer kite. I have had the same slingshot 2 meter trainer since 04ish and since then it has been used by tons of my friends and family members for learning purposes, when its nuking it makes for a great time on the skateboard or landboard, and whenever the kids get bored its small enough for them to fly without getting hurt (its even been used for body dragging by light weights). they are cheap and can take a lot of beatings without falling apart on you. I think its a fun thing to keep around

akgrownmark

Since 10 Jul 2008
24 Posts
Vegas

PostWed Apr 09, 14 5:51 pm    4m Ozone access Reply with quote

So much fun to skate kite with. Even used it to snow kite when it was blowing 40. Come to think of it, I have even used it on the water when it was nuking.

_DSC5213 Ozone.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: