Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Why are the World's Top Kitesurfers so Amped on Mauritius?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
marina c

Since 03 Apr 2006
318 Posts
California/Gorge Summer
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 02, 06 3:39 pm    Why are the World's Top Kitesurfers so Amped on Mauritius? Reply with quote

Rider Photo: John Amundson/Lens: John Bilderback

Ten of the world’s best kitesurfing wave riders have converged on the island of Mauritius for a 15-day competition. Pro rider John Amundson joins ASNews.net this week to fill us in on the competition happenings, the riding conditions in Mauritius, some style myths that have been dispelled during the event, the possibility of a North American Pro Waving Riding Tour next year and more.

There’s a reason why North, RRD and F.One did their 2007 catolog shoots in Mauritius and why this island in Southern Africa, east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean, is becoming so popular. Find out why this Thursday, October 5 and ask your questions live.

To participate and ask your questions REAL TIME to John, you will need a Lost Cherry account so you can log into the ASnews.net “lounge”. There, you can type in your questions which will be fielded by ASnews.net staff.

Date: This Thursday, Oct 5, 2006
Time: 6p PST, 8p Central, 9p EST
Place: http://lostcherry.com/lounge.php?l=1293

To sign up, go to www.lostcherry.com. Bookmark http://lostcherry.com/lounge.php?l=1293

If you can’t make the show, you can post your questions here! The deadline to submit your questions is Thursday, October 5, at 5p PST.

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 02, 06 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

because they never heard of florence?

just kidding blowhard, i hope to come see you next summer down there and get pummelled. but it is a big world out there with a lot of professional athletic talent that travels full time for this.

here is more info i found on the contest. looks like a cool concept, can't wait to see the video:

Here is a list of the riders : Martin Vari, Jaime Herraïz, Sky Solbach, Bertrand Fleury, Grant Baker, John Amundson, Peter Peterson, Felix Pivec, Will James, Jeff Tobias.
Programme : all style waveriding, back side, front side, hook, unhook, with straps, strapless…
No judges, only 4 cameramen ! Each evening, the riders will visualise the video of the competition of the day and they will give themselves a mark for all categories !

http://www.hanglos.nl/asp/new/news.asp?newsid=%7B1084F22D-5426-4D25-9189-F719F7BFC66F%7D

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Oct 03, 06 7:22 am    hope so Reply with quote

would love to see some of the "locals" on here come down and give it a whirl
Especially guys like Amery(from S.S.) who falls right into place with our crew

I would hope the interest in the Mauritius would have something to do with 25- 30 mile per hour wind and some clean waves Razz

otherwise it's not that interesting to me Wink

I would also love to find a warm weather winter location with some higher winds

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Oct 03, 06 7:43 am     Reply with quote

They should all do their photoshoots in Florence next year... the fog and brown water will sell a lot of gear for sure.

Just kidding guys, I hope when I show up to your spot someday you don't piledrive me. Very Happy Seriously I am considering taking a week off next summer and hitting all the south/central coast spots.

My first trip this year to the Newport South Jetty was an eye opening experience for sure. Shocked

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Oct 03, 06 8:10 am    pkh Reply with quote

Newports side -off wind is a challange for sure as soon as you hook up a wave your speed increases by the speed of the wave going to shore , like Abreojos Baja Ca. Sur. which can be very exciting but too fast for my blood (fastest I ever went on a 4'wave)
Kudos to Mocean for makin it work for him it's clean and fun but VERY fast
We are only half-fast at Florence

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Oct 03, 06 5:20 pm     Reply with quote

Here's some good info on the event at Mauritius:
Quote:
As witnessed by the growing pile of shredded kites, snapped boards, and piles of spectra spaghetti gracing the lawn of the beautiful Indian Hotel and Resort at Le Morne, the conditions during the first week of the inaugural Mauritius Kitesurf competition/expression session could only be described as “world class” with competitors pushing their equipment and themselves to the maximum.

Opening day, Sunday September 24th witnessed moderate winds and huge swell in what were undoubtedly some of the largest, longest waves ever kitesurfed.

A notable performance Sunday was put in by perennial darkhorse, South African surfer Grant “Twiggy” Baker, who exhibited the same flawless wave selection that allowed him to win the 2006 Maverick’s big wave paddle surf contest, by riding the enormous lefts of one eye without incident, for over 5 hours, without ever breaking for lunch.

Equally impressive on Sunday were local Mauritians and contest organizers Patrick Desvreaumigny and Laurent Lebolloch who showed that local knowledge counts for everything on the notoriously fast end section of One Eye, by catching some of the biggest waves from far up the point and riding them with ease through the end bowl before kicking out.

While Monday’s conditions were mellow in comparison to the wild, out of control speed runs of Sunday, the sets were still consistently rolling in and the waves cleaned up to the point where competitors were getting barreled with a frequency before unseen at any venue ever before.

Martin Vari, by all reports, was getting the most barrels of any rider, pulling in with a stylish backhand approach on a 6 foot yellow towboard. Although paying his dues with several spectacular crashes, he made it through many of the winding bowls to the amazement of photographer Stephane Fournet during the watershooting and videographer, Elliot Leboe.

Perched high over the reef in custom made 5 meter metal chairs, the media team has literally the best seats in the house, and are burning through memory cards and video tapes at an amazing rate.

Will James, also experienced a first, three consecutive barrels on one wave, which he could only describe as “highly, highly unusual….I just got out of one, saw the next, barely made it through, and then got one more right after that on the end section. It was unbelievable”

Jeff Tobias also put a fantastic performance on the first several days of the event, picking off some bombs on Sunday, some tubes on Monday, and some stylish off the tops later in the week.

Airrush’s Felix Pivec and Pete Peterson were out to prove that even with the extremely offshore conditions prevalent at one eye, it was still possible to ride unhooked. And prove it they did with some of the best top to bottom combos of the event.

Oahu’s John Amundson began Wednesday by pulling into a sickeningly late full-speed backhand closeout. “It looked like it was going to be wide open”, he was overheard telling fellow competitors. Despite the full scale yard sale, which saw his kite completely ripped in half, and a full scale mashing by the second wave of the set, he returned an hour later to score some great waves, including several legitimate in and out barrels on one eye’s tricky end section.

Jamie Herraiz, who began the week jetlagged and suffering from a stomach infection, along fellow North R&D’er Sky Solbach put in consistent backhand performances with their next generation hybrid/flat kites, consistently stepping up their levels with each wave caught.

Local competitor, and charter boat operator, Pascal Henry really surprised many of the pros with his wave selection, and took the prize for the most spectacular kickouts of the event….some of them well over 50 feet high in the stiff offshore breezes of Le Morne. Pascal was a late addition to the event, but has shown great turns, and a flair for being able to spot and catch the biggest and best set waves each session.

Frenchman Bertrand Fluery, having overcome the initial shock of extremely offshore winds during the first several days of the event, was even seen to cracking an uncharacteristic smile after blasting through the curtain of a One Eye barrel after several days of adjusting to the very difficult conditions.

The competitors have a rest this weekend as the conditions are to wind down, and enjoy VIP seating at Friday’s Boney M concert before a new swell arrives on Monday. Stay tuned.

http://www.ikiteboarding.com/kiteboarding/news/67/mauritius-kitesurf-event-le-morne.aspx

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Oct 03, 06 6:04 pm    Re: hope so Reply with quote

why not go to south africa? i think winter is their season, and they are meant to have maui style wind and big fast waves all the time. seems like the perfect spot.

blowhard wrote:

I would also love to find a warm weather winter location with some higher winds

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostWed Oct 04, 06 6:44 am    yup Reply with quote

I have thought about that ,and have spoken to folks who go there Iit sounds like a good spot
but the $ to make it happen is a little out of my league
does anybody know what the airfare Is ?
last time I checked it was over $2500. per person
and some unbelievable air(ass) time Crying or Very sad

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Oct 04, 06 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Yeah $2500 is a good starting point for airfare. Depends where you are heading. The other drawback is the air travel time....It took me 38 HOURS from airport to airport. Shocked There is not enough free booze for a trip like that!

www.naishkites.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: