Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waroo roll-up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Oct 02, 06 1:41 pm    Waroo roll-up? Reply with quote

Anybody crash their waroo and have the kite slurp up 1/3 of the canopy - the kite is not inverted but about a good portion seems tangled in the bridles or something. The kite will stay in the air but is way messed up.

I made one small change to the attachments to the front pulleys - I added 4in pigtails to the pulleys so all four lines would be even and I wouldn't have to use the line extenders on the inside lines.

Maybe the pigtails(3 knots long) are getting tangeld in the bridle system?

Did this on my 7 in crazy wind on Sat but happened again on my 12 in mellow/light wind on Sunday - thinking need to get rid of the pigtails.

Any ideas?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 02, 06 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Could you maybe move your line extenders to your bar instead of the kite?

I am not sure if I can picture exactly what's happening, but I don't think I have seen it... I have gotten a bridle caught on one side, but the kite won't fly like that.

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 02, 06 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't seen my waroo do that, but I wonder if the pulleys on your front lines are not rolling and getting stuck on the bridel and causing the canopy to get pulled in on itself.

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Oct 02, 06 7:29 pm     Reply with quote

YO G, maybe you need to lubricate your pulleys. That was some weird shiete on saturday. I was like, its inverted, wait, no its not, yes it is; wait a minute, its rolled up!!!

It happened right after a relaunch didn't it?

someone said a little chain wax on the bridle lines may help reduce friction and wear. You know, the waxy like stuff for bikes.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon Oct 02, 06 9:28 pm     Reply with quote

you're supposed to use KY jelly --not chain wax!

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostMon Oct 02, 06 11:32 pm     Reply with quote

Jeff, I know your kidding. Right?

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Oct 03, 06 7:31 am    G dude Reply with quote

early on with the Waroo I had a mobius strip effect
where the kite unrolled
What I think happened was the lower wingtip under a lot of stress because I was bearing off and then coming all the way around to upwind and swinging the kite through the wind sheeted out
I think this was causing the lower wingtip to stall and become loose eventually catching the wind sideways and unrolling my kite ,it unrolled inverted ,tacoed came through it and did it 3 more times before I let go.

Now when coming around I hold some pressure on the bar to keep that lower wingtip into the wind
hasn't happened since ,
doesn't really sound the same as your situation .
but it might be
I know they get jiggy when one wingtip is stalled Rolling Eyes

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Oct 03, 06 9:49 am     Reply with quote

Yeah - both rollups happened when I was working on a new trick and the drove the kite into the water - the first time at Rowena was a bit explosive not surprised something bad happened but the second time on the 12 was super gentle.

I'll check the pulleys - but suspect the added pigtail knots are getting caught - will add the extensions on the barside (good idea- thanks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: