Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

waroo with ss profire bar question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 02, 06 7:22 am    waroo with ss profire bar question Reply with quote

so i picked up a used waroo 7 for those 30mph avg days and plan to use it with an 05 ss profire bar. i'd say there is nearly a foot of throw (where the bar gets pushed out to depower kite) on the chicken rope thingy and then of course its got about 6 inches available for sheeting as well. i'm wondering if people have used this kite/bar combo and if there are any good tweaks that will help my cause

any info would be great. Thanks

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 02, 06 7:41 am     Reply with quote

yeah I use my SS bar on my Waroo occasionally. You won't get all the depower/safety that's available from the stock Waroo bar because the length of throw is about 5-6 inches less, but you'll also have less risk of inversions and you will get extra stability due to the fact you can't sheet out past the point where the kite is stable.

You will probably rig on the last knot or second to last knot on the rear lines for your 7m. If you find the kite is flying slow/backstalling, pull your depower a bit. If the kite is not full tensioned/fluttering, you need more back line tension, rig further up on the rear knots and/or let your depower rope out all the way.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 02, 06 8:42 am     Reply with quote

Thanks PKH, it seems i have my sheeting/depower terms mixed up in my question, but i understand what you are saying. One thing i am not familiar with is this backstalling concept. i think it would be obvious if it was rigged too loose as you would see the fluttering, but are there clear signs when its flying too slow/backstalling or is this something that you pick up on as you get more experience with the kite?

Also, do you know by chance how much throw you get on the waroo bar (inches)? I thought about extending the chicken rope with the knot between the stopper ball and depower cleat, but then it would be difficult to reach the depower rope handle. Waroo must have a different setup

Thanks again

edit: i realize i would need to compensate on the steering lines if i added length to chicken rope (just so you know i won't kill myself Shocked )

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 02, 06 9:14 am     Reply with quote

I think the trim line on the Waroo bar is about 18 inches, very long. Much longer than is needed I think. 12-14 inches is plenty. A lot of us shortened the length on ours. The exception would be if you had fairly long arms and liked riding with the bar further out.

On the backstalling thing, the kite doesn't really backstall unless its WAY oversheeted. However you could be choking out some of its performance if you have too much backline pressure. Best thing to do is just start by rigging on the last knot on the rears, that way you will have as much rear line length as possible. If thats not enough, pull the depower a bit.

When the kite is "in the sweet spot" sheeting wise, it will fly fast with plenty of power and no deformation of the canopy.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 02, 06 9:16 am     Reply with quote

Oh yeah and if you've never flown a Waroo before, make sure you keep your hands no further than 2 inches from the center of the bar. Its very sensitive to bar pressure and this way you make sure you don't oversteer the kite.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostMon Oct 02, 06 10:06 am     Reply with quote

A 7 in 30 is lots of power, I ride a 5 m in 25 or more and I weigh 185 and ride a 141 usually. The 7 meter is like a 9 slinger. I fly my slingy bar with warro , took all knots out or rear piggys except last one and was perfect.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 02, 06 10:40 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, maybe i should have gotten a 5!

hmm. well, i'll be sure to try it out in the mid 20s first and hopefully its some improvement over my 8.5 C kite. biggest challenge for me on the 8.5 is that at 30+ mph the spread is huge, so i go from wagging my ass off to cutting upwind like a mofo. its been an exciting summer to say the least Very Happy

edit: when i say 30+ i mean the big gusts are hitting maybe 33. and in conditions like that my legs are toast in like 40 minutes. but yes i'll ease into the waroo slowly!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 02, 06 11:06 am     Reply with quote

7m should be good for most nuking days. I've been blown off my 7 only 3-4 times this season. I will probably get a 5 for next year though since my girlfriend is riding more now and we always seem to end up where its most windy.

I've never felt like I needed anything smaller than the 7m at Stevenson or the sandbar, so if you frequent those spots you'll be fine.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 02, 06 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Stevenson is my new favorite spot Wink

I did say 30mph average in my initial question, i should probably be aiming lower than that with the 7. its fun to be overpowered once in a while, but then i never feel comfortable enough to try airs or carves or anything.

anyway good stuff, thanks a lot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: