Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

St. Cloud Kiting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostSat Sep 30, 06 7:37 pm    St. Cloud Kiting Reply with quote

Not that I mind having the whole river to myself but this site could handle a few more kiters. Today it was a ultra-steady 16-18 knots with a short upwind leg to a large sand island with lagoons of knee deep smooth water(across from Multnomah falls).For the Vancouver /Camas crowd on the way to Stevenson it is worth checking out. In the fall a large point is exposed in the low water providing a safe and easy launch in both east and west winds. Easterlies can add a mile of extra fun to a Rooster Rock downwinder but the westerlies like today are best. It takes a large pressure difference or late summer thermal but when it is windy it provides some of the steadiest wind in the gorge.The launch is located several miles west of beacon rock.Barges pass within 100 yards of the Oregon side making this one of the widest and safest sections of the river.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSat Sep 30, 06 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for sharing! St Cloud has lots of free food also ( fruit trees everywhere), get out there in the moring though the wind decreases through the day 95% of the time.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 30, 06 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

I believe the island is Skamania island?? How exactly do you get to the launch area? is it a sandy launch?

Thanks for the info!! Very Happy

Nak

alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostSun Oct 01, 06 6:58 am    St. Cloud launch Reply with quote

Launch area is reached by walking thru apple orchard and looking for path to water on east side of orchard. The beach is mainly small rock with some areas of sand/mud . The water is waist deep for about 100 ft depending on the water level. There are no trees anywhere near the launch.St. Cloud is a signed Columbia gorge scenic area wayside(milepost-30) with bathroom facilities.The usual kite here on west wind a 12m bow or 16c kite with a little more wind than Sauvies.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Oct 01, 06 7:58 am     Reply with quote

Alan, thanks for the directions! I definately owe you a cold one. Very Happy I'm in Camas, so this is a close in spot for me; can't wait to try it. I've scoped this area out from a boat, but didn't realize there was access from shore.

Nak

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun Oct 01, 06 8:00 am     Reply with quote

k117 - does it usually become too light to ride in the PM? - C

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSun Oct 01, 06 9:58 am     Reply with quote

yea its kinda like stevenson where it shuts down in the afternoon just its like 2 or 3 hours earlier. the good news is it picks up that much earlier in the morning.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4204 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Oct 01, 06 10:53 am     Reply with quote

I've not ridden the area, but I have been to Skamania Island by boat a couple of times. It seems like the wind there is about 5-10 mph less than Stevenson. Or is it that I get there when it's shutting down? If anyone is interested, I could haul the boat up to Beacon rock boat launch sometime and we could set up on the island...

Nak

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostMon Oct 02, 06 7:34 am     Reply with quote

Went exploring late Sunday and did the drive to St. Cloud. At 3pm found wind about 10 – 15 mph. Small beach area is more mud then sand but not bad. Made the drive east to Beacon Rock to check boat launch. Water level made boat launch unusable for big boat. You might get waverunner or small boat in and out but still sketchy. We did find stronger wind at new picnic area west of boat launch. Area has huge grassy field, ~ 10 acres, with river access just off paved path past historic signage. Walk east just a bit and there is a big sandy area. Found wind 18 to 20 mph between 4 and 5pm. Have no idea what water condition is like, could be strong current. Anyone try kiting this spot before?

alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostMon Oct 02, 06 10:27 am     Reply with quote

Is this new picnic area related to all that construction just west of Beacon Rock? It looks like they are putting a new bridge over the RR tracks to improve access and maybe even a new park.This could open up a bunch of new spots as well as downwinder potential to ST.Cloud.Thanks for the input- will go scout that out!

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostMon Oct 02, 06 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, it is out by the new bridge construction. Head to boat launch and make first right just under railroad bridge. Let me know what you think. I’m still not good enough at kitesurfing to try without waverunner in water but I’m slowly building confidence.

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostMon Oct 02, 06 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

this is about the only time of year (low water) that you can launch anywhere in that area without being in the bushes. St. Cloud is better, but you still end up in the bushes durring normal flows. if you have a boat the skamania Island offers year round wind with good east and west wind and easy access from dalton point. this time of year we all find new beaches and get excited only to come to the realization that low water means the end of the season. next spring when you start looking fo the wind again you'll go back to those "new" beaches only to find them many feet under water. lets all hope for a major drought and we'll have more beach front on the cloumbia than we know what to do with.
bandito

alankitesurf2

Since 21 Jun 2006
81 Posts

PostTue Oct 03, 06 5:58 am     Reply with quote

Oh well, next spring we should go back to the sandbar. Wait a minute... its underwater ! Actually I do get excited finding new ways to access the river especially ones not so crowded. Helps to make up for spots we've lost over the years like Junkyards,Narrows,Secret Spot etc.. Still its mainly about access-kiters have figured out how to launch in many spots that at first glance don't look to have easy launches-take Stevenson.
Last edited by alankitesurf2 on Tue Oct 03, 06 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostTue Oct 03, 06 6:04 am     Reply with quote

This spot could easily be turned into a great staging area. The question, is it worth the effort? Washington State Parks maybe open to this proposal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: