Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

NSI vs. Best "Golf" bags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 30, 06 7:44 am    NSI vs. Best "Golf" bags Reply with quote

Anyone compare the two side by side? Can either really carry 3 kites/board/suit/harness/bar? Needed, or can a medium duffel accomplish the same?

Thanks any and all.

Eric

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Sep 30, 06 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Haven't tried the Best bag, but the thing I always run into with the NSI one is weight. You can fit a ton into it, but you have to be careful not to exceed 50 lbs or you will get charged by the airline.

With 1 board, and 3 kites in there and maybe a shorty and a bar, mine is usually around 48 lbs. I put my harness and pump in my regular suitcase.

Another thing you can do is take one of your kites as a carry on, then you will save on some weight and you could maybe get an extra board in there.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostSat Sep 30, 06 10:01 am     Reply with quote

That's good to know--thanks. I have spoken with several people who said just use a normal duffel bag and it goes through as luggage. True?

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 30, 06 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, but a lot of duffels aren't big enough to hold your board and keep it safe from the abuse of air travel. I, like PKH have the NSI and can fit a 9m, 13, and 17m, with bars and a wetsuit. I'm right under fifty and put the pump and harness in my suitcase. Been using it for a couple years (15 or so trip) and haven't had a problem yet.

coastercoe

Since 28 Mar 2005
35 Posts
redmond

PostSat Sep 30, 06 10:50 am    nsi Reply with quote

I get the 3 kite-board combo with a couple extrs in at 49 lbs....the sad news is continental in brownsville knows they are kite bags and are aggressively charging for them.....they have a specific section on their web site about kite gear...so far seatac has let it go through...

NateDogg

Since 05 Mar 2005
627 Posts
I caught your mom on
cineaptic.com

PostSat Sep 30, 06 11:05 am     Reply with quote

Dakine actually makes a duffel bag with a padded board sleeve built into the bottom. It's a couple cm shorter than the NSI bag with about the same space and would easily pass as just a straight up duffel bag. Dakine's split roller is nice too, if you're overweight you can just turn one bag into two, but you loose the stealth factor of the NSI.

I think another important factor is to just have a good attitude when checking in. Don't be late, double check weight and length restrictions, don't be pissed off and don't forget anything important like ID or your ticket. Make it easy for the person checking you in and they'll likely make it easy for you.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 30, 06 11:46 am     Reply with quote

Money talks, BS walks. My wife and I take off from seattle about 2-3 times a year. Its a simple propositions. We check in out side, and when the man says, "you can't check in out here." I hand the dude a 20. This does two things for me: 1. confidence that the bag will make it to it destination and 2. confidence that the bag will make it to its destination. I have never had any problems with my NSI golf bag, and I also use a giant yellow waterproof TNF bag. The point is money boz, its a tipped based industry. And if they flip you crap on the way back, you simply say "they didn't charge me on the way, May I talk to you supervisor." Most airlines don't have kiteboarding, kitesurfing or anything like that in there system. Be honest, say: "I have kites." There is no surcharge for "kites." Only boards. THat bing said, there are no surcharges for "kite boards" or "kite surfers," only surf boards and wake boards. Or you can take your "golf bag" smile at the dude and hand him a twenty. It always works for me and I have never been charged!

However I was asked why I had a parachute with me, try explaining that its not a parachute!!!!!!!!!!!

goiner

Since 26 Aug 2006
87 Posts

PostSat Sep 30, 06 1:48 pm    Kiteboard surcharges Reply with quote

Continental has a posted policy on charges for sports equipment.
The FAQs at their site show a charge of $95 each way.....and specifically list kitedboarding equipment. Confused

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx

The $20 tip would be a great bargain and worth the try....

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostSat Sep 30, 06 2:00 pm     Reply with quote

it sounds like continental is no longer the way to go to get to s padre.

has anyone flown another airline down there... to either south padre or corpus christie (from portland) that is reasonable (i.e., relatively quick and cheap)???

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSat Sep 30, 06 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

Here is continentals policy:

Kiteboard
Continental Airlines will accept one kiteboard or one bag containing equipment used in kiteboarding as checked baggage. Domestically, a kiteboard or one bag containing equipment used in kiteboarding is subject to a $95.00 service charge (each way).

Contact Continental Airlines Reservations, worldwide, for international service charge rate information.

The board must be well padded or the entire board must be encased in a suitable container to avoid scratching. Continental Airlines shall not be liable for damage to a kiteboard or kiteboard equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for a kiteboard or kiteboard equipment.

Note: Kiteboards, or kiteboard bags or over 115 inches (292 cm) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage. Kiteboards will be transported subject to load capacities of the aircraft on any itinerary involving a flight operated by ExpressJet Airlines, Inc. dba Continental Express or Continental Connection. Kiteboards are not allowed during excess baggage embargo periods when no excess baggage is allowed. Kiteboards will be accepted to Costa Rica during an embargo period.

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Sep 30, 06 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

kss wrote:
it sounds like continental is no longer the way to go to get to s padre.

has anyone flown another airline down there... to either south padre or corpus christie (from portland) that is reasonable (i.e., relatively quick and cheap)???

Continental has a lock on Brownsville, you could try Harlington.

Maybe time to switch to the Best or Slingshot golf bag if the secret is out on the NSI one... Evil or Very Mad Though I've never been charged...

A couple suggestions to make the checkin process smoother:

1) Don't check in all at once with your 20 kiting buds, half of whom have oversized bags.

2) When asked what the bag is say its a "golf bag," its not a lie! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: