Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Teahupoo Kite In
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Sep 29, 06 10:06 pm    Teahupoo Kite In Reply with quote

http://tim-mckenna.com/trips-20060920-122650.html?cat=Teahupoo+%26+Kite

Shocked

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Sep 29, 06 10:36 pm     Reply with quote

that is narly SWEET! progression 4sure.... Twisted Evil

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Sep 29, 06 10:40 pm     Reply with quote

Shocked faaak that the craziest wave riding i have ever seen

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 29, 06 11:37 pm     Reply with quote

video footage of martin vari and others kiting this is in Spare Change. maybe not quite as big. amazing wave and obviously huge consequences but i actually thought it was some of the less impressive kite surfing in the movie, even though i'm sure it was a huge blast to do it. but when you watch the surfers do it, it looked way more interesting and free. since it's offshore, the kiters seem mainly like they are trying to stay in front and not get sucked into it. a lot more happens on the smaller waves. anyways, watch the movie.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Sep 30, 06 6:26 am    PERFECT KITING Reply with quote

I don't think you would want your strings through that one,but you can
IF you have your kite low and makes lots of turns you would slow down enough to let the pocket fill in around you ,and still have control
but having the kite high in that wave and then letting off the tension would be a huge mistake
I have ridden a few waves and had the strings out the back of it ,you can feel it but not too much (if they are tight)

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Sep 30, 06 7:12 am     Reply with quote

Make sure you guys check out the link (at the top) lots more in there... here's another one, I wonder how he made it out of this one?!

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 30, 06 8:14 am     Reply with quote

Very Happy

wave.jpg 

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Sep 30, 06 8:51 am    COME ON DOWN I've said before Reply with quote

I think you are starting to get the idea,

Funny how we never see any of the big boys down here when it's good.(20 ft.+) this would be 10 ft. seas in an ebbing tide fyi

Granted it's hard to hit, its after the windy season, in the fall with big storms in the Gulf of Alaska, strong high pressure creating 30 mph winds (so you can have the get out of jail free card in your hands )

Anybody can race around in Front of a wave no matter how big it is.(nice pics) or cop one or two turns
BUT to put together MULTIPLE turns in that kind of face is the real deal(takes smooth waves , lots of speed, a fast turning kite and I don't mean a 13.0)
That will scare the shit out of you,(the 13.0 that is)
Thinking all the way down the wave weather you can make it back up before the shit hits the fan ,
,big kites+ big waves= no joy

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Sep 30, 06 10:31 am     Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing FLORENCE SUCKS Laughing Laughing Laughing that wave in the pics above are some of consequence for sure. Those boys are commetted in those shots. ! turns or 10 they are in there for sure. RESPECT. I wish I was there now. As long as it is blowin' 8.0 or more.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSat Sep 30, 06 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

When I was in Tahiti last year we went out and looked at Teahupoo. The thing you cant see in the pictures is the sharp razor coral at the bottom. The wave actually drops below sea level!

www.naishkites.com

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 30, 06 5:45 pm     Reply with quote

registered wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing FLORENCE SUCKS Laughing Laughing Laughing that wave in the pics above are some of consequence for sure. Those boys are commetted in those shots. ! turns or 10 they are in there for sure. RESPECT. I wish I was there now. As long as it is blowin' 8.0 or more.

Now did ya really have to say Florence sucks! Granted Teahupoo is much scarier but come on now............... Who thought kiting there was a good idea anyway? "Let's see now..... if I tow in on a surfboard I might escape with my life but I think what I really wanna do is attach myself to a kite so when I get tubed I'll be spun around and wrapped up in my lines making a nice tidy package for the coroner" Very Happy Very Happy

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Sep 30, 06 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

yardsale , I have been doing lots of research on this matter. Florence sucks, if I lived in portland I would be talking with trolls and aparently feeding him beer. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Florence is a harsh environ, both on and off the water. Not much for creature comforts unless your a shark or baby seal. Twisted Evil

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Oct 01, 06 10:36 pm    Re: PERFECT KITING Reply with quote

you mean like this?

attribution: kiteworld.

p.s. if you look closely, you can see he is riding a Saber Toothed Ironing Board. Shocked

blowhard wrote:
I don't think you would want your strings through that one,but you can
IF you have your kite low and makes lots of turns you would slow down enough to let the pocket fill in around you ,and still have control
but having the kite high in that wave and then letting off the tension would be a huge mistake
I have ridden a few waves and had the strings out the back of it ,you can feel it but not too much (if they are tight)

barrel.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 02, 06 6:38 am     Reply with quote

nice one! is he riding unhooked? like Yardsale said it would suck to wrapped in your lines if you wiped out.. seems like you'd need a way to ditch the kite fast.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostMon Oct 02, 06 7:58 am    Great pics Reply with quote

looks like a lot of fun
Gabe,
you are invited to our little hole to see what's up with the 30 ft. wave thing (like last night)
Or you could ask Amery and Dano they were there Cool
It's hard to see how thick the pitch is in that sequence but our pitches are pretty thick and from 20 -30 ft. drop at an amazing rate , for 20 ft probably average 3 ft. thick and that's a lot of water to have your strings through ,last night the pitches looked like about 3-5 thick dropping at a huge rate of descent if anybody was to get under one and have it drop on you ,it would be something that you would remember for the rest of you life (if you lived)
And yes the Saber toothed Ironing board pulled me through ,Thanks for asking Laughing

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 02, 06 8:09 am     Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:
I think you are starting to get the idea, Funny how we never see any of the big boys down here when it's good.(20 ft.+)

Just for clarification, what are you calling 20-foot? 20-foot faces? 20-foot surf from a surfer's perspective (or Hawaiian-style measurement) would be more like 35-40-foot faces, or one of the biggest swells of the year here on the central OC. I like using the head-high, 2X overhead, 3X overhead measurement, assuming a 6-foot person. Makes it a little clearer.

Teahupoo is pure death-defying gnarl, and has already claimed lives. The wave dredges out onto coral just a couple feet deep and is many times more dangerous than the gently sloping beach breaks we have here. You wouldn't catch me anywhere but sitting on a boat in the channel.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 02, 06 8:20 am    Re: Great pics Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:
looks like a lot of fun Gabe, you are invited to our little hole to see what's up with the 30 ft. wave thing (like last night)

Gotta call you on the 30-foot claim: NOAA Bouy 50 was 7 feet @13 seconds at 4:50 pm last night. Head high to 2X overhead here on the open beaches. Bet it was fun though down there though! Wind didn't really come up enough here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: