Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hard Drive Camcorders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Sep 27, 06 1:54 pm    Hard Drive Camcorders Reply with quote

Anyone got experience with these? Seems like HD would be the way to go for kite videos as you could do editing a lot faster...

JVC seems to be the popular choice, 3CCD model looks like the shizzle:

http://jvc.com/presentations/everio_g/

bandito

Since 07 May 2005
178 Posts

Photographer

PostWed Sep 27, 06 2:44 pm     Reply with quote

$1200 seems like overkill for some home movies. You're not using it in the adult industry are you PKH?
Bandito

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Sep 27, 06 3:19 pm     Reply with quote

Found a few places online selling it for ~$800... but yeah maybe it makes more sense to opt for one of the cheaper models. Especially since its going to be going to the beach a lot.

wasn't the "adult industry" angle your idea bandito? Wink

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostWed Sep 27, 06 4:02 pm     Reply with quote

I'd recommend that you look at a single chip Mini-DV camcorder from Canon, Sony, or whoever has one for the lowest price. I think you can get one for around $300 bucks, maybe a tad more. It's all you'll ever need unless you are planing to go totally pro, and try to produce DVD's for sale or something.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Sep 27, 06 7:15 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't used any of the newer DVD or built in hard drive stuff, but I don't know that I'd really want to get into it either. Several years back I had a Sony camcorder that recorded to a mini disk (thinking digital would be good), but it's output was analog... If you have a way to get it into your comp, and keep it digital the entire time, then that's fine (via Firewire/IEEE 1394), but if you've got to output through non-digi setup (RCAs, etc. - also including USB), you're going to lose a shit load of quality.

I personally would just stick to good ol' miniDV just as Slipin Lizard said, but if you can find something 3 chip, that's always a bonus. And as I've said before, generally I like Sony's picture quality the best. The last vid I did was shot on a Sony PD-150 (Sony's higher end 3CCD, next to the VX-2100). Canon's and JVC's quality seems to be similar on their lower end stuff, and it's hard to explain, but there really is a difference even when compared to the lower end Sony.

I'm in the process of reformatting my computer right now (actually can't do it 'til I get back home to Portland this weekend), but once I do, I'll get a few short clips up of a 1CCD miniDV Sony vs. 1CCD Canon (both similar cams) so you can compare.

The crazy HD cams JP's working with now on music videos and movies down in LA are the way to go if money were no object, but they'd be a pain in the ass to haul around, and definately not something you'd want to shoot kiting with. They're basically just normal ultra high-end HD cams, but record to flash drives (like racks and racks of multiple SD cards packed into a case), which can then be connected directly to main editing computers and uploaded.

Sorry to ramble on so long... Wink

P.S. - If you're planning on editing HD (edit: should have clarified - high definition), unless you've already got a rowdy ass computer (mainly talking about processor, video card, and RAM)... you'll for surely be upgrading!

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Wed Sep 27, 06 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Sep 27, 06 7:30 pm     Reply with quote

Good stuff Adam, thanks for the info!

The hard drive cams definitely keep everything in digital, you basically hook it up Firewire or USB2.0 and it becomes like an external hard drive... Part of the appeal too is you can take the clips off invidually without any extra editing. So say you are filiming kiting and you make a habit of always recording just the trick and then stop recording after the trick. You'd have a nice video file for each trick. Just grab all the good ones, drop them in the order you want, and your done.

Maybe its not worth 2x as much though, there seems to be some good cams in the 3-4 hundred range that have 3CCD and good quality overall. The hard drive ones in that price range don't seem to be rated as high in quality. Here's a miniDV one that seems to hit a good quality/price point:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS300-Camcorder-Review.htm

Here's a bunch of ratings:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostWed Sep 27, 06 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

bandito wrote:
$1200 seems like overkill for some home movies. You're not using it in the adult industry are you PKH?
Bandito
HELMET CAM WUD BE GOOD FOR DAT....BILL MAHER JUST SAID ALL HIS BONGS HAVE CARBS...BILL MAHER RULES Twisted Evil Twisted Evil TROLL

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 27, 06 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

I would say just for better viewing pleasure you should go for 3 chip, anything else will just look kinda well... Shitty. Hard drive cams arent there yet I dont think either. Even if you start the filming right before the trick and end it right after, the clips still need editing, and any editing program makes it super easy to shorten the clip, it's usually just a click and drag. 3ccd cams are getting cheaper now to, thanks to the HD thing, so I would definately go with a 3 chipper.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Sep 27, 06 8:36 pm     Reply with quote

Ian, single chip cams aren't that bad... so long as they're uploaded digitally. Either one's going to look like shit if you have to use an analog computer adapter or something, but come on. The vid I did last year was shot with a Canon ZR-90 and Sony TRV-18 (both low end, miniDV, 1CCD cams), and I think it turned out alright (quality wise). If you can afford it, I still say go 3 chip though.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 27, 06 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-PV-GS500-Camcorder-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B000DZFUIO/sr=1-1/qid=1159417921/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8425746-9168968?ie=UTF8&s=photo

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostWed Sep 27, 06 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

yea i use that panasonic for video productions class quite a bit. the 3 ccd image is nice but if i were going to buy my own camera i think i would still pick a sony even with only 1 chip. the quality of the body and the simplicity of the controls is just not as good as the sonys. we have a few 1 chip sonys that have about the same sharpness and clarity just not as nice color reproduction. the one i like to use the most is the HC1 (3ccd HDV sony) but that one is wayyy more expensive.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: