Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Mount Hood Oregon
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
scouse_bri

Since 26 Sep 2006
3 Posts

Kook

PostTue Sep 26, 06 1:58 am    Mount Hood Oregon Reply with quote

Alright all,

I'm a kiter from the UK but also a snowboarder. There's a group of us thinking about heading over to Mt Hood for a snowboard holiday. Can anyone give any kind of low down of the place. Also does anyone know if you can snowkite there.

Also If I coming all this way it'd be a shame not to visit you guys and mayeb get a session in. I take it February / March is only for the brave!!.

Cheers all.

Brian from the UK.

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Sep 26, 06 8:11 am     Reply with quote

Mt. Hood Meadows has by far the best terrain on the mtn for snowboarding. As for kiting, the terrain and acess is less than ideal. Mt. St. Helens semms like a much better bet, but the approach is long.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Sep 26, 06 8:57 am     Reply with quote

I would look long and hard at the Rockies, Colorado, or Utah before I would come to Mt Hood. The snow is better. If you are coming here for other reasons, I would snowboard Mt Hood (Meadows) but, I would also head south to Mt. Batchlor. IMHO the snow is much better. Batchlor is about 3 hours south.
Have fun
Mark

www.naishkites.com

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 26, 06 10:53 am     Reply with quote

UTAH has it all, check out skyline for snow kititng and snowbird or anything in that area for the lift serviced snowboarding.

sg

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Sep 26, 06 11:12 am     Reply with quote

Powder Mtn, Utah- lift accessible kiting!

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 26, 06 11:45 am     Reply with quote

rrrrreeeeaaaalllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy?????? Thats so cool, I did not know, please explain in detail please......please......lift access kiting?????

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostTue Sep 26, 06 12:22 pm    Utardonia Reply with quote

Get a log in http://www.utahwindriders.org/

and go to this link.
http://utahwindriders.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1655
not rrrrreeeeaaalllly...yet but More than you need to know

Other info to digest:

http://www.utahwindriders.org/wind/HTM/snowkite.htm

http://www.ukbinc.com/utah_launch_sites.htm

http://www.powdermountain.net/

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Last edited by Wyo Kiter on Tue Sep 26, 06 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Sep 26, 06 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

Definately Meadows for boarding, but Timberline for snowkiting... I've seen Alex Peterson and Aaron Sales riding up on Palmer Glacier (very top of T-line), but I've never wandered up that high to try and ride (stayed down lower and it wasn't that great).

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Sep 26, 06 12:52 pm     Reply with quote

I've kited pretty high up with AP skiers right out of bounds on T- Line and its a little sketch. Steep terrain, starting half-way up the fall line, which if you end up riding puts you in govie.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Sep 26, 06 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe if we send enough people to Utah for the snow kite chair, we can get it shut down Laughing . Not everyone wants everyone to know everything.

Sorry I am in a bad mood. But if tons of peeps show up to ride the lift and kite , doubt the results would be good. I would think that if more people show up at hood their could be issues to. A couple people , now and then, no biggie but wankers start showing up to learn the easy way on the snow, pow. People are getting dragged into rocks and access depletes. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

kataku2k3, I wish I was there to see those guys ride, Why didn't you go ride to?

Always the pesimist...... Twisted Evil

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Sep 26, 06 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Easy Fish- Powder Mtn is hardly a secret as is! As for Hood, natural selection kicks in, the conditions & terrain will keep most people at bay. Either way, your beach is safe from the throngs of californians & utards (for now)

Hope you guys killed it last weekend!

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 26, 06 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

Brian,

Like everyone one says there are alot of other great place for epic snowboarding but for being local Mt. Hood Meadow's is for sure the place to go. Here's there website for more info : www.skihood.com

They have some local hotels (in Hood River) that offer deals if you stay there you get lift tickets for like $25.

If you have the time like Mark said Bachlor is really nice place to ride aswell.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 26, 06 1:56 pm     Reply with quote

Whistler BC and Tahoe, CA are good too. last year it rained in tahoe in january, but they got 60ft over the season, 30ft in march alone. they get more sunny days there (tahoe) than anywhere i think. and its not so blistering cold like MT, CO and UT can be. Kirkwood in tahoe is my favorite, lots of steep and its a big place. Whistler is enormous, has great snow and 5k of vert that starts at sea level. very uncommon not having to go to 6-7k to get good snow... did i mention _5k of vert!

my 2 cents, have fun! i will ski hood this year for first time Very Happy

actually now that i think more, most places have base level above 8k i think. its up ther for sure

edit -- here are whistler stats, base is actually at 2200ft, but that's still very low compared to other places: http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mountain/stats/index.htm

Last edited by jdk on Tue Sep 26, 06 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sol-flyer

Since 21 Mar 2006
1280 Posts
Dude, where's my Bus?
Otto Mann

PostTue Sep 26, 06 2:13 pm     Reply with quote

utah sucks, dont go there. if it was'nt for people out pioneering it wouldnt even be on a map. obviously hood aint all that cause there locals wanna go somewhere else.

IMO if you want good snowkiting the bend/central oregon area has the better location.<--why?
1. Mt bachelor has to be the better of the ski area's in the state.
2. bend is on the verge of where mountians meet desert, which can mean lots of wind.--and consistent Wink
3. not as far to other places than anywhere else in the state.

there is some good kiting terrain around crater lake area, and the steens MT. range has got it all and more.

edit: also the west coast has "wet" powder. as the rockies have a more fine "dry" powder.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 26, 06 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

agree on most your points sol-flyer, but the big problem with snow kiting in the bend area is a lack of snow. It might dump a foot or two on occasion, but it can melt fast and then you got nothing.

Only place I ever snowkited was in Sun River in one of the pastures next to the airport.... it was... interesting. Very Happy

I'd love it if we could find some snowkiting spots within an hour or so of the Gorge / Portland.

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostTue Sep 26, 06 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

registered wrote:
Maybe if we send enough people to Utah for the snow kite chair, we can get it shut down Laughing . Not everyone wants everyone to know everything.

Well I guess they shouldn't have a fourm about it on the WORLD WIDE WEBB. Razz

pkh wrote:

I'd love it if we could find some snowkiting spots within an hour or so of the Gorge / Portland.
Idea

I will be scouring my new zip/area code(s) for snowkite spots. The is defineately room for arbitrage on the snow as well as water around here. Been doing recon onthe mtb already. Cool

Currently accepting donations for a sled, Embarassed sold mine last year Crying or Very sad

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 26, 06 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

utah has the goods don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

flying over utah to ski oregon instead sounds like the greatest airborne disaster since the hindenberg.

all sorts of friendly people over at kiteforum (the snowkiting section) that will give you the low down on utah snow kiting. i skiied there for a winter way back and it was great, either dumping champagne snow or 25 and sunny, spoiled me for everywhere else in the world.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: