Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

NW Invades Hatteras Oct 14-21
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostMon Oct 23, 06 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

boys.jpg 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 23, 06 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

what sensor was that from? seems windier than that... nate was on his 7m.

I do believe that 7-9am was the windiest... first sunrise sesh I think I have ever done. Very Happy

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostMon Oct 23, 06 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

It was from Avon Ocean. Post the graph from the slick that day if you can. Avon Ocean was the freebie.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Oct 23, 06 1:50 pm     Reply with quote

Here's the REAL Slick Sensor... check out the late switch to North for Nate's night session.

newgraph.gif 

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 24, 06 7:12 pm     Reply with quote

I've never riden the slick - what's it like? I didn't see any sliders, kickers etc. in your pics - are those in a different location? Did you guys hit Atlanitic side? It looks as if the wind was fairly consistent on the graph of the 'best' day. - C

Maybe next year NWKite can invade BVI - check out the link, it looks like a blast: http://www.realkiteboarding.com/tech-detail.cfm?id=1239

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Oct 24, 06 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

The slick is real nice, but the wind only set up for us there one day.

You know I had a blast, but going to Hatteras made me realize how good we have it here. Their season is really not that much different from ours, temps are still 5-10 degrees warmer there but they can switch to cold overnight depending on what storm system is ripping through. I think yesterday it was reading sub 50 when just a few days ago it was almost 80.

They say that even in the height of their season (we never really nailed down what month that is) they get 4 good days a week. I think the week we were there it was good maybe 2 days. The rest of the days were light.

Upper Rooster Rock, Sandbar, Floras lake, Rufus ponds, Newport Jetty... sick flat water at all those spots... Oregon Coast, has steady wind, great waves...

I guess this time of year we are lacking on the warmth, but we still have plenty of wind and we got flat water options. Hatteras has its slicks but we got em beat on wind. I think I'll go back to SPI next time, its got skunk potential just like Hatteras but its a lot warmer has its own butter spots and is easier to get to.

One more thing - if you want to go don't stay at the REAL bunk house... you won't be able to use their launch and you won't have running water, and you really won't save too much money.

So I don't want to end on a bad note... I will say I haven't ever been lit on flat water like I was on the last day of our trip at sunrise. 9m going as fast as I wanted doing huge carves. The wind was absolutely solid. Smile

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Oct 25, 06 8:33 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:

One more thing - if you want to go don't stay at the REAL bunk house... you won't be able to use their launch and you won't have running water, and you really won't save too much money.

Can you shed some light on why you can't use the launch if you stay at their bunk house?

www.naishkites.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 9:20 am     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
pkh wrote:

Can you shed some light on why you can't use the launch if you stay at their bunk house?

I guess they don't want you interfering with their lessons. Sucks.

They got a sweet air compressor and nice grassy rigging area and everything... but the only times we could launch there was early in the morning or after 6pm (almost dark.)

Also the sliders are kept in their dock area, so you can't use them. I think they only take them out when they are shooting videos or doing a slider camp.

REAL is a hype machine no doubt... I think they probably do a pretty good job on lessons based on what I could see, but once you are past that phase I don't think they have anything to offer the average kiteboarder.

When the pros stay there they don't use the REAL housing facilities... Even one of the REAL Employees was like "You guys should have just rented a big house, and come here in June or July, the wind is much better...."

Now you tell us. Rolling Eyes

Hey but thanks to NateDoog, KrameDog, JPizzle, Trevor, and Big Jeff ... the trip was still a buncha fun. Thumb's Up

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed Oct 25, 06 11:22 am     Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't reccommend staying at the "bunk"-house.

This is verbatim from Real's website: "Clients staying in the Bunkhouse have access to our “Slick-front” private launch reserved for school and camp use only." --Only when we got there-- they said differently Mad

PS. I got some snore strips and the wifey said they help! Thanks for the push! Wink

I'd like to back next year! The cape was awesome. I had never ridden on any pristine glass like that until "Planet of the Apes." Wish I could do it again!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

Again, had a blast, and its not the last time I'll go to Hatteras for sure... but we should consider SPI for the next trip. I've been there 3 times, only one of those times did I get skunked like we did in Hatteras. Its averaging about 10 degrees warmer during October (80's), and the last few weeks its been a lot windier than Hatteras:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=117&siteID=366&Isection=Last+7+Days
http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPIL/2006/10/25/MonthlyHistory.html

Wind can be gustier (not by Gorge standards), and the glassy spots are less numerous, but its still very flat, very shallow, has waves. Beaches are easier (more sand/dirt than marsh.) Its almost identical to Hatteras really, except I think its got a bit more wind.

Split a hotel room with your bud at the Hojo and its around $20 a night, continental breakfast, big room, cable. The rooms at the Hojo are almost twice as big as the bunkhouse. Very Happy

I'm aiming for a trip there in April if I can swing it... its usually 80 degrees windy everyday there in that month.

Just an idea...

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 12:46 pm     Reply with quote

Here's some more info on Padre:

http://www.southpadreislandkiteboarding.com/

I'd qualify most the water at Padre as "butter" not "glass" Very Happy

but there are a few spots in the right wind direction where you can get glass.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 25, 06 3:25 pm     Reply with quote

Man, I can't even count the amount of skunkage I have endured in Hatteras - so don't feel too bad. I've been thinking of heading to SPI in April with one of my buds. In Hatteras our crew would rent one of those 'luxury' homes on the water with hot tubs and the works - they really aren't that expensive when split up with a decent size group. They give everyone a lot of room to spread out, it's nice to all have private rooms, and it's nice to have a launch right out the front door. Does SPI have that type of set up? Is is full on 'spring break' that time of year? - Thx - C
PS - got a nice 9m sesh @ lyle today

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Oct 25, 06 9:48 pm     Reply with quote

Last house we rented in SPI was a 5 minute walk from the ocean beach... we did a couple downwinders to it, but usually we drove to wherever we were kiting.

March is the main time for spring break, so I am aiming for mid to late April probably. You can tell when its off-season by the hotel prices.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Oct 31, 06 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

Hey good news I got Premier all figured out, so the video is coming... but not for a couple of weeks at least.

Found these cool pics of the Slick from an airplane, not sure when they were taken:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: