Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Flat kite durability
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostMon Sep 25, 06 8:50 pm     Reply with quote

When Caution came out with the "Answer". I asked myself, what question are the asking and why?
Will we buy into the newest crap?
Answer: Yep, every year!
Ask Thornton if the Cautions' are any better than the Waroo...
and his Answer will have two sides. Thats right, split in half, down the middle, straight through the leading edge! POW! (Stevenson, yesterday, long swim)

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Sep 25, 06 8:59 pm     Reply with quote

I have a o6 Liquid force Assalt 9 that I bought from Wileys in seattle and I have been learning to jump this year. As you know learning how to jump can be hard on equipment and If you know me I'm notorious for DESTROYING gear, weather it be ski gear or kites. I have tomahawked this kite relentlessley(sp) and It doesn't even show wear, now I've heard one person with the leading edge bridal showing wear, but I have done my best to destroy the kite and it still look new.

call darin at wileyski.com

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 25, 06 10:04 pm     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
do you think you might see more strut/le damage due to the pressure you have to inflate the sle kites to? the thread and nylon might not take the pressure. just a thought

Yes I think the whole kite is under going more stress than a C kite. If you think about it, an C shaped arch is a pretty natural shape for fabric to take on when its being blown in the wind. They can even let the kite flex a bit and it won't matter. Getting a kite into a flat/wing shape by using a bridle is bound to put a lot more stress on the fabrics.

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Sep 26, 06 8:12 am     Reply with quote

huge fun factor but waroos are crap in terms of construction, multiple bladder repairs, leading edge falling apart, odd frayed fabric showing up everywhere... bars are a joke, chicken loop release is worst i have ever seen. Huge short term fun!

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 26, 06 8:29 am     Reply with quote

nice to see nwkite turn into kiteforum.

i seem to recall guys b*tching the same thing about xbows last year. and there is a guy on this thread with a problem with a turbo diesel.

waroos are the largest # of sle's out there so you're going to hear more complaints about them.

my sense of this is

1) probably all that depower and super stiff LE result in more wear. of course, depowering your 7 instead of pumping up a 5 (which has killer low end) isn't going to help.

2) best is probably going to add more stiching/weight next year without making a big noise about it or raising prices. my 04's yargas seemed to do fine, but they lacked some stiching to avoid side rips when self launching with a ton of sand. the '05 had extra stitching in just that spot, and was even cheaper.

bottom line - if you are going to do deep tacks into the ocean, the most important piece of gear is your wetsuit. inspect your stuff, but lines, C-loops, spreader bars, harnasses can all fail unexpectedly and give you a swim. thick warm suit will keep you alive.

if you really think best is cr*p don't buy them. having to wait for my kites this year were annoying Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 26, 06 8:52 am     Reply with quote

pjc wrote:
nice to see nwkite turn into kiteforum.

hopefully we haven't gone that far yet, I guess I am willing to entertain a little extra slagging towards best just so I don't come off as bias in my moderator duties.

Besides I am sure Best can afford to take a few licks on the forums (as they always have), since they don't seem to be hurting in the popularity department at all this year.

My point was not to single out the Waroo, but rather compare flat kites to C kites in terms of overall durability. I won't name brands but there are certainly other kites out there from other brands having the same troubles.

Comments on the bar - yeah it doesn't look like much, but its holding up a heck of a lot better than my slingy bar did last year (you should see all the tape I got on it, on my second CL too.)

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 26, 06 1:06 pm     Reply with quote

A lot of angst in this thread and it should probably just die, but I will keep it alive to bring some information straight from New Wind on their take on Waroo durability:

Quote:
So far this summer we have sold hundreds of Waroos and I have only warrantied to date 8 kites. 6 LE stitching issues and 2 canopy rips. This is amazing to me because I see so many of the Waroos just out there getting beat to hell by crashing and being flown in way too much wind for the kite size.

Using them in the school for teaching is the ultimate test..we've found that the weak point is definitely the LE seam when the kite is tumbled around and inverted. But the canopy has been bomber (because Best uses the higher grade ripstop material) and the valves are a big improvement over the Naish Boxers that we used to use.

Best is definitely addressing the LE weak point with the 2007 Waroo. The seam is rotated back towards the LE/canopy junction and the seam is taped and I think glued. They've also upgraded the velcro valve covers and the pulleys. They have really made a ton of upgrades and they have chosen not to raise the price.

Garret

Since 07 Sep 2006
254 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 26, 06 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

I just got back from getting my replacement kite from New Winds. My 9m waroo canopy tore. I have to say that the coustomer service at Best was excellent and Corrie at New Winds helped me get it replaced. I realize this doesn't answer the questions about the kite's durability, but good customer service means a lot. Cudos to both Best and New Winds-

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostThu Sep 28, 06 10:36 am     Reply with quote

I still don't understand why this is a mystery to some of you. Look at the kites, they are cheaply made. Some people really like the way they fly, yada yada yada and that's fine, whatever makes you happy.

But in the end they are still the cheapest kite on the market and some of the seam work that I have seen is just plain shotty. Hmmmm, I wonder why they can sell them so cheap and still pour metric fuckloads of money into advertising?

Like someone said above, a good general rule is you get what you pay for. NOt always, but often

kristine

Since 23 Apr 2006
15 Posts
Portland

PostThu Sep 28, 06 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Eazy monkey boy. Mike Hawk got banned for posting negative things about the modorators beloved Waroo flapper car cover kites

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Sep 28, 06 10:50 am     Reply with quote

kristine wrote:
Eazy monkey boy. Mike Hawk got banned for posting negative things about the modorators beloved Waroo flapper car cover kites

No he got banned because he hasn't added anything to the forum other than his own personality's brand of "color".

Maybe he should just use his other accounts more often, the ones he uses to actually be helpful?

Tony

Since 28 Aug 2006
940 Posts
Portland
Opinionated

PostThu Sep 28, 06 11:30 am     Reply with quote

Well here's my 2-cents ---All I got to say is one thing....Slingshot...!
I've ridden on slingshot kites since the spring of '02 and I have nothing but Props for those kites...They are freak'n bomb proof. I have a lot of miles and crashes on those kites and not once have I had any issues with rips or tears along the leading edge, struts or canopy..I might have a few small pin-prick holes but nothing worth crying about...
As far as them fancy snazzy bow kites, I actually have gotten to fly a few. Even though I don't own any, They seemed nice and friendly...They practically fly themselves.
But I also think it's also true - 'bout everyone talking about the quality of them new bow flat kites...Seems like I always here stuff about how cheaply they are made...Maybe they are or maybe they're not...
Not sure why...So basically, to make a long story short, if you want a good quality kite that can deliver - get a slingshot...Chances are, you'll really be satisfied. Very Happy

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Sep 28, 06 12:16 pm     Reply with quote

I agree, Slingshot definitely makes a habit of making kites that last a long time, especially the Fuel series of kites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: