Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Getting Started
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
achen

Since 03 Apr 2012
39 Posts

PostWed Jun 06, 12 7:08 am     Reply with quote

soundwave wrote:
Achen:
What hack shack is teaching 6hrs for $420? You sure it's legit? $70 an hour for a Kiteboard lesson is SCARY! If they are that cheap they must be a shitty instructor to value themselves so low, just saying. I would be scared of getting lessons from someone that cheap. Be some fly thru town stoner funding his homeless summer kiting and having your life in his hands.

I.

$70/hour is the equivalent of 140k/year, I think that is a very good rate. Maybe you overpaid? Looks like most are in the $75 range, but some are less, but I see that as pretty much the same as $70/hour.

HST in maui has these rates
<<Cost is $75 per hour. All lessons are private, one-on-one. First lesson is usually about 3 hours long, depending on conditions. Ask about our 3 day learn to kitesurf course. 9 hrs. over three days for only $599.>>

Kitesurf maui has these rates

<<20% Online Booking Bonus on 1 Day Discovery Program (Equipment Included) :
1 Day/03 Hour course - Book now for $216 (20% off/Regular Price $270)
2 Day/06 Hour course - Book now for $450
Kiteboarding Camps/Lesson Rates (Equipment included) :
3 Day/9 Hour course - $648
4 Day/14 Hour course - $995
5 Day/18 Hour course - $1295 >>

kitesurfari in huntington beach, ca (regular price is 420)
<<SUMMER SPECIAL $295

If you have time during the weekdays, this special is for you. All six hours of our introductory package for a great price.

Land Lesson – 3 hours
Water Lesson – 3 hours
Kitesurfari’s Trainer Kite Video
2 people per class
Lessons must be taken Monday - Friday.>>

prokitesurf in corpus (beginner lesson using their equipment is 85/hour)
<< Hourly lesson with a PASA certified instructor to work on basic riding skills such as water starting and riding upwind. Lesson taught using your gear is 75$ per hour, and lessons taught with school gear are 85$ per hour. A 2-hour minimum generally applies.

>>

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 06, 12 9:11 am     Reply with quote

Business is Business.

If there are 4 kite shops teaching lessons, with equal reputation, if they need more business they will lower their prices, if they want less they will raise their prices.

Say normal lessons are 95/hr min 2 hours. There is incentive for the company to package their 5-6 hour newbie course at a lower per hour rate because they not only want the business, but it's a guaranteed 5-6 hours where as if you have someone book 2 hours your missing 3-4 hours that could "possibly" be filled. Also, having to pay for the instructor to be available for 3-4 hours could be a dent in the company's wallet, or maybe even loosing the instructor because they don't have enough work.

Supply vs. demand 101.

If there were only 1 kite lesson company on Maui they could probably charge and get away with 250+ per hour (yes I exaggerated a bit to make a point), where as if there were 10 they would have to lower their costs to get people to come. If they are booked a month or so out they would raise their prices to hopefully slow down to a manageable level, or hire more instructors.

Just complaining about the $ of the lessons is very irresponsible. This is how it should be done.

1) locate all the training shops/people in the area you want to learn from
2) get the costs for the lessons you want from those companies
3) research online the reputation of the company (could ask for PMs of opinions from people on this board for the Columbia River and probably locations)
4) Personally visit the spot, if you can, and hit up the locals that are rigging their kites and ask their opinion of the best instructors and ask about a couple other choices.

Not necessary is the most expensive the best, it could be the cheapest one. But you also have to consider what else they offer, jet ski/boat assist, radio assist, advanced trick techniques, etc. For example Jet ski/boat assist is great for beginners who are fond of loosing their boards, or boarders learning jumping tricks as the instructor can give feed back near real time where ever they land, or even getting out to the windy butter zones. A newbie learning with big chop/swells vs. shallow and buttery water... or a relaxing trip back upwind from a decent downwind run.

Back to the question of $$. Would you feel safer taking a lesson for $150/hr or $70/hr?

If I left it at that I'd be just a question of how much you wanted to spend.

If they had the same equipment for the customer to use...
If they had the same experiance...
if they had the same jet-ski assist...
if they had the same reputation locally...

If the above were all true which one would you choose?

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jun 06, 12 11:54 am     Reply with quote

Weaz you forgot the all important "do they have liability insurance." Reputable shops must carry it but everyone says they have it and that is how they justify their rates. Then you ask them if they can show you their insurance card. Wink

Everyone seems to be PASA certified as they search for a career change in these trying times so it's logical price will trend down. Many years ago in Parade magazine's Sunday paper (when people used to actually read the paper) annual insert "what do people make" article highlighted a "surf kite" instructor from Maui pulling down $250g's while today I hear you can get a lesson out East for a case of beer and Safeway chicken strips.

Fleisch, lessons are a must and the first step and best way to tell if the sport is really for you. The rub though is being a good kiter and being a good teacher are two different worlds. Plus, if you don't know how to kite where do you begin? Posting up on nwkite is a start but it's not a simple process so regardless of price you need to feel content the instructor can relate to you and guide you with comfortable progression because some personalities just don't jive during a recreational event that can become frustrating and complex quickly for the student as you repeatedly tomahawk their kites. Don't be shy and get out and meet the more established shops and drill them with questions like how do they train their instructors to teach, even request references. It's a business, if they are legit the information will be available. If they focus on hours, packaging a kite deal, and don't ask you a lot of questions upfront about what you want out of kiting I view as a red flag IMO. Kiting is incredibly enjoyable but do the research and find the instructor that will keep you safe and having fun from start to finish. They are out there. When you're done post up how it went.

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostWed Jun 06, 12 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Weaz you forgot the all important "do they have liability insurance." Reputable shops must carry it but everyone says they have it and that is how they justify their rates. Then you ask them if they can show you their insurance card. Wink

Yes that is important Smile Basically I was just trying to point out highest cost is not necessary the best, but insurance is important part of the equation. Also the cheapest may be the best or not, but as you and myself stated

1) insurance
2) personality
3) reputation
4) what they can do for you, plans, etc.
5) extra equipment (jet-ski, radio, etc)
6) equipment for the lesson
7) knowledge of the area

are all important things and can go into the cost of the lessons.

I was just trying to point out would you rather work as an instructor/shop for guaranteed 6 hours for 70/hr or a guaranteed 2 hour for 85/hr comparing the 6 hr lessons or 2 hr lessons.

Personally I'd rather learn from someone like me, laid back, stoked about the sport, interested in me the student progressing and being safe, than a 100/hr lesson cranking out machine. Hence why I like the instructor I found, and probably use them for 90% of my lessons. Of course still taking some in other places that I'm not familiar with, especially since I'm not 100% confident yet.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 06, 12 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

Go to Floras and learn from Andy. No wasted money, pay for what you get, liability yes; wave runners yes, steady winds yes- non one can compare. 1 day down there is like 2-3 days in the gorge. No industry push here, just the facts. Have taken lessons both places and multiple peepes!!!!

achen

Since 03 Apr 2012
39 Posts

PostSat Jun 09, 12 11:31 am     Reply with quote

mackiteboarding has 2011 10m rallys complete for $1000

phenomenal deal

it is cheaper than some of the used ones in the classifieds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: