Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

17.5 Machine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Icemonkey

PostTue Jun 14, 05 4:54 pm    17.5 Machine Reply with quote

We popped the cherry on my new 17.5 Machine yesterday...all I can say is try one out if you can. We were flying a 15 m Fuel and the new machine, and having a great time on both. The wind was a bit gusty, with lulls below10 and puffs to about 20. The kite powered up smoothly and easily and depowered nicely in the gusts. I have to play a bit more with the oneline setup to take full advantage of it, but I can definitely see the potential! The safety of the release system as well as the relauncheability with the 5th line was nice. I am going to dye or change out my 5th line to a colored one to make it stand out a bit better for the relaunch. Tomorrow the weather guy is calling for 10-20...I am going to play hookie and test her out some more!

Keith

bamboo

PostTue Jun 14, 05 9:12 pm    machine update? Reply with quote

do post more once you've played hookie from work. i'm on the fence with the machine and am looking for more real life validation. i'm trying shore up a decision soon so i can get out of my 16m and ride with life once again.

ReeferMadness

Since 21 Apr 2005
32 Posts
Seattle

PostWed Jun 15, 05 7:56 am     Reply with quote

How does it jump? I have heard that they have great low end but that they are not great jumpers. Would be interested in hearing an unbiased opinion.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed Jun 15, 05 10:06 am     Reply with quote

I have a 20.5 machine, and when on my Jarvis 157 in 7-8MPH I cruz on it while staying up wind. You have to learn how to fly it cause it is different then a regular kite. Once you get on a plane you will ride with the bar Out and you start accelarating faster and faster, pull in it slowes down. It has great depower because you ride it at full power then trim it back. I rode SI the other day it was 8-9MPH and was well powered up and jumping. It is a really fast kite to me, but do not have much experience on 17m+ kites but I think it rocks. It is your typical Slingshot feel, lots of steady power, but one thing that is a bit different is light on the bar feel but not too light. I am a 195lb rider too. Caesar was riding in about 6-7MPH on his 135cm Thorn.
If you see me at Sauvie's feel free to ask for a ride, I won't mind and you can try for yourself.

I will give it one bad review, its about 6ft long in the bag, cause it has only 3 main strusts and 2 full length battens, so you cant roll it up. Its bag is like a ski bag and don't fit to well in my 74 Beattle, but I mange.

PostWed Jun 15, 05 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

take up surfing in 6 to 10 knots of winds or ride your bike! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: