Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sad take on rest of season
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 19, 06 7:08 am    Sad take on rest of season Reply with quote

Come on Stuart, can't you sugar coat it for us a bit:

Quote:
Models still build Pacific High option up quickly on WED giving us a break between systems. But generally once the desert loses its heat sink preference in the Fall, it never really regains it. Thus we receive only limited benefit from PM heating and really more solely on systems moving thru to generate wind. This makes WED another up / down mid teen to low 20s style day w/ Central and NearEast sites looking best late AM to mid PM.

translation storms = wind, nice weather = dead

hopefully we at least get a few more cranking easterlies before it gets cooooold.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Sep 19, 06 7:16 am     Reply with quote

I thought el nino was going to bring us some luv. Unless you want snow Laughing I am ready for some great snow but need to get a few more dozen sessions to ween of kiting slowly. I am working like a mad man and missed some good days last week. I am going to have to double my rate again to compensate for the torture of missing the last great days. Sad

Got an enclosed trailer/ staging area for the great snowkiting season coming up. I can't wait to kite to the top of Helens now that its open.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 19, 06 7:25 am     Reply with quote

registered wrote:

Got an enclosed trailer/ staging area for the great snowkiting season coming up. I can't wait to kite to the top of Helens now that its open.

I'm in!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Sep 19, 06 7:29 am     Reply with quote

for St Helens isn't a snowmobile the real device needed? I heard it was quite a trek to get into the kiting area.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 19, 06 7:38 am     Reply with quote

Its lookin like winter here today. Dark line of showers over the ocean and swell is BIG - 12'@14 seconds which means sets up to twice that height. Big piles of bullwhip kelp on the beach that are getting yanked out by the swell.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Sep 19, 06 7:49 am     Reply with quote

steve, a couple more days and we will be back in bussiness if the forecast hold up. I can't wait for some big swell as long as thre is good wind. 20 kts or more. SO, nelscotts firein'? Shocked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Sep 19, 06 8:39 am    steve Reply with quote

don't go scaring them off with that doubler talk,
the area around St.Helens is easily accessable by walking a short trail from the parking lot probably a couple miles (up)
but then I was on a sled and just estimating .
The area that's for sleds has a lot of use by snomobilers making some pretty loud sounds whaaa ,,whaaa ,yuk
I suggest you climb the hill and avoid the snomo area. But it's westside and unless something comes in cold and steady i'm out, 3000 ft. elev.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 19, 06 8:40 am     Reply with quote

i can tell you when our spot went down registered. it was last wed at 4pm. blowhard and i were ripping on 5ms. the next thing i know bh is driving off and im working the kite just to get on a plane. sad to say it but i don't think the 5m will get pumped again in 2006 Sad

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostTue Sep 19, 06 8:55 am    oh ya Reply with quote

knowing when to quit is another story ha ha ,I saw you waggin yer ass off ,way offshore ,you gotta a lot to learn kiddo . Embarassed
But your the man to do it Very Happy
Kayaker,
he went from rocks on his head to rocks in his head ,lookin like tomorrow and the next ,we are up Twisted Evil

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 19, 06 9:46 am     Reply with quote

you were wise to come in when you did, but you missed some nice rides on the 9m. the windsurfers standing on the beach would have appreciated more of a show then i can put on.

im thinking thurs, maybe. problem is noaa says chance of showers, which usually means we're stuffed.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Sep 19, 06 10:14 am     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
for St Helens isn't a snowmobile the real device needed? I heard it was quite a trek to get into the kiting area.

The good wind and wide open play area is called the plains of Abraham. It is on the east side of the mountain near wind mountain. You would need a snowmobile to get there. Its about 10 miles.

Ps the sound of snowmobiles sounds good to me Thumb's Up You have to love being able to sled the whole mountain. I even take my snowboard up and find a out of the way pow pow bowl to play in. Sled to the top and give it a shove. It goes to the bottom and waits for me. I snowboard down and repeat as necessary.

I am interested in kiting on Snow kiting there this year. Let me know....
Mark

www.naishkites.com

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 19, 06 10:15 am     Reply with quote

Sorry boys, I think you can stick a fork in September for kiting.

But of course, I'm still mending my bruised brain and out of the water till at least December.

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 19, 06 11:00 am     Reply with quote

I being a sled head have been asked several times about st helens. a couple of problems. It sounds like if you don't have a sled, you don't get to kite? If you don't have a reliable sled, you may have to walk out and don't forget that the forest service can shut down st helens because it is a active volcano. Think.......Snomachines and the Pemberton Ice cap!

But I agree, I need to be taken slowly into winter. I live at the top of snoqualmie pass and have been hunting in the snow for four days. Its freaking nasty weather up here!!!!!

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Sep 19, 06 11:22 am     Reply with quote

Ten miles? wow it seemed like two minutes to abraham last I rode sled to kite there. Maybe hitch hike? if you don't have the walk in you. Laughing like a person hitchin on the pavement, no chance for a ride from me unless your working for it. Sleeping under the bridge or in the warming hut isn't workin. If your going for it and walkin', no matter a ride or not, I may stop and ask if you want a lift. I would imagine if I was to walk there I would start going up more than over out of the car and get up to the treeless spots. A reliable sled is nice but more important is more than one sled and trailers to pull behind them.

Its easy to ask someone for a ride ,and they may do it but they won't be happy to. May as well ask to get fed lunch to. Sleds are a pain in the ass to have and drag around and shelter......... Shocked... almost as bad as a boat......rant ....

Please enough of this other season stuff and may there be more wind on the water. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Sep 19, 06 11:34 am     Reply with quote

They're not a pain if you enjoy them. Same with boats.

sg

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Sep 19, 06 12:33 pm     Reply with quote

Mocean wrote:
Sorry boys, I think you can stick a fork in September for kiting.

say it ain't so, mo.

man last year there was some respectable N wind as late as mid Oct. (albeit with monster waves, but still good times..)

it is at least 3 weeks too early to be banking the kites for the season!!!!

pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostTue Sep 19, 06 3:29 pm     Reply with quote

Abraham on St. Helens looks sick, lots of varied terrain.

http://www.alanbauer.com/images/South%20Cascades/Dan%20Jordan%20on%20Plains%20of%20Abraham%20dropping%20through%20Smith%20Creek%20wash-Horz.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: