Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sad take on rest of season
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Sep 19, 06 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

During the winter its a huge flat bowl. 4 miles long and 1 wide. Each side has steep hills. Of course one side is the mountain which goes up approx. 4500'. The only hazard is a gully ever once in a while. Trust me, you will need a snowmobile to get up there. Walking/hiking in the deep snow is very hard. Spending the night in the snow can be deadly.

If anyone is interested I am willing to lead the way on my sled. Unfortunatly it is a high performance sled and the suspension is set up for only one person or I would take a passenger.

www.naishkites.com

crucifunkin

Since 31 Aug 2005
37 Posts

PostTue Sep 19, 06 4:43 pm     Reply with quote

I would rent one if I knew a certain time other kiters were going to be there. Sounds like a blast.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Sep 19, 06 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

A groomed trail goes directly to the plains. Yes in nike high tops the snow is dangerous and no wranglers or levis. Laughing For those kite skiiers use rondonee or some snowshoes for the boarders and a gps. Places with deep pow like crater lk. two people on a sled is not possible blazing trail but the second sled two is cake.

Sorry sometimes I take the knowledge of my fellow extremists for granted. If you don't have mountaineering expierience or with people who are going to take responsiblility for your personal safety and gear ect. DON"T PLAY IN THE MOUNTAINS DURING SNOWSTORMS . Bring warm clothes and extras, and bring a couple pairs of good warm yet thin gloves.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue Sep 19, 06 6:41 pm     Reply with quote

Nate, Tucker, and I got a 2 hour sesh in from 4:00-6:00 tonight at Stevenson. Wind was a little fluky, at times almost solid cloud cover, but it's still better than nothing!

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Sep 19, 06 6:56 pm     Reply with quote

Nate & Tucker good riding!!!

If you are into the snow I can get you one of these for $2800. It fits most (almost all) 250-500cc 2 or 4 cycle dirtbikes. I've got a yamaha yz250f and it is awesome!
If anyone wants a demo--We'll be doing them after In January. It takes bout 20-40 minutes to swap out depending upon how often you switch out. A regular guy can do it in 20 minutes. The bike in the pic is the developers KTM--. Its got a 12" footprint. They make em in UTAH--I sell 'em here. It's completely legal if you have an offroad permit. It will transverse a slope unlike any snomobile. It gets bogged down over 20" but It will climb like a banshee in 10-20" no problem-0-. It rips the doors off a snomobile because it can transverse. A snomachine will roll when it hits a 45-50 degree transverse slope. This thing will run on almost any degree slope. (because it has only one skid in the middle.) And it will blow out a stock-quad on hillclimbs --even on the on the sand-- though it is designed for the snow.. So if you know of a dirt-biker/kiter/or ski-bum--let me know. They must have a friend with a dirt bike!

kraemersbike.jpg 

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Sep 19, 06 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

Thats awesome! I grew up riding bikes and the light wieght idea is awesome. Doggin in 20 inches is no good though. Some times when you jump of the sled too hard you sink up to the arm pits, a bit more than 20". A 500 cc may be the ticket. In Minnesota it was hard to get my yzs to fire in the cold of winter. I think it maybe a problem to get around with gear to(trailer). Maybe taking up the rear of a few sleds breaking trail. 2800 for the running gear ? no bike wow Shocked could buy a great used sled for that.

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostTue Sep 19, 06 8:09 pm     Reply with quote

lets see here...put on a wet suit and hit the water. Kiteable conditions in stevenson today!
Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostTue Sep 19, 06 8:10 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Nate, Tucker, and I got a 2 hour sesh in from 4:00-6:00 tonight at Stevenson. Wind was a little fluky, at times almost solid cloud cover, but it's still better than nothing!

yep, those boys got er dun!

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Sep 20, 06 8:48 am     Reply with quote

[quote="registered"]A groomed trail goes directly to the plains. quote]

Actually the groomed trail goes to the Lahar. Which is about 6 miles from the parking lot. The Lahar is full of rocks, gullys, and young trees growing up. Generaly a very bumpy place.

If you go to the Lahar and go off trail and head up thru the Lahar and take a right (after hill climbing several hills ) you will end up at the plains. Another couple of miles. Much smoother and windier.

As for coverted motorcycles.... I have found you need to have a long track to "float" over the snow. If you are in deep pow pow or want to go up a hill you need even longer and wider! I am currently running a 15" wide 159" long track with 21/4 long paddles.

Hope this helps!

Ohh yeah, $3000 buys a great used sled. That will get you around nicely.

www.naishkites.com

stevegriffith22

Since 14 May 2006
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 20, 06 11:37 am     Reply with quote

Fianally someone with some sence. Once again, not to be a dick, but remember if you get out ther on you 400 dollar sled you bought from you uncle and it breaks, the search and rescue people have to risk there lives, because you were stupid. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for snow kiting, however back country excursions take time and preperations, as well of knowledge of the local area. I beg of you my friends to please thing before you use something like a converted dirtbike to take you in the BC.

And yes 3000 should get you a good sled, however take someone with you that knows what there doing and looking at so you don't get ripped off, or buysomething with problems. I would love to help out buy giveing the community some advise on buying snow machines. all people have to do is ask.

for those of you who are offended, get over it. People have to risk there lives in the NW all the time becuase newbes thing getting into the BC on sleds is easy. Don't let the sleg guys like me have any reason to not like kiter in the BC, Snowmachiners are ran off all the time because of a few bad apples, don't give them any reason to point fingers at kiters(as I am a kiter)

Rant rant rant rant, blah blah blah.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostThu Sep 21, 06 7:51 am     Reply with quote

There's still some small kite wind! Shitty the temp's in the mid 50's out there though. Cloud cover looks pretty solid, but not as bad as it could be.

iKite.JPG 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: