Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Becoming and instructor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostMon Sep 18, 06 6:59 am    Becoming and instructor Reply with quote

Has anyone looked into this? I am confused why, if the gorge is a kiting mecca, why do I have to fly to Hawaii, Cape Hat, or Baja to find and instrutor instructor?

If you are a poor local you don't have the option to become an IKO or PASA cert instructor.

Anyone have any ideas?

Rob Confused

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 18, 06 7:17 am     Reply with quote

I think Jim Bison of New Wind kiteboarding can certify IKO instructors.

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 18, 06 7:19 am     Reply with quote

That's true, Pkh, and he ran an IKO clinic to certify instructors this summer in the Hood.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 18, 06 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Hey Robkov,

Talk to Jim or Cori Bison at NewWind (541.387.2440) about the IKO Instructor Trainer calendar for 2007. Jim taught 2-3 courses this summer in Hood River.

Also, realize that the weather conditions must be favorable for wind and teaching so the summer time is when classes are held in Hood river.

Check out the IKO web site if you haven’t been there >> http://www.ikointl.com/pro_career.php?menu_id=3

I recommend taking the IKO Assistant Instructor course and work with a kite school to get some teaching experience which you will need to receive your Level I IKO certification.

~Dano

NewWind web site >> http://www.kiteschool.com/certification.html

Outtake photo:

IKO Class#1 web.JPG 

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 18, 06 10:06 am     Reply with quote

I've been considering becoming a certified instructor...but what does it really get you? (this is a serious question).

I took lessons from 2 different places, and I have no idea if either instructor was certified.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 18, 06 4:35 pm     Reply with quote

Well, to start with most schools require certification to instruct; partly because it is required for them to get a business license/permit and insurance (e.g. in Hood River & Maui)

Other benefits include: 1) being able to travel the world and teach because the hiring schools often require it and it also lets them know you have reached a certain competence level, 2) pro deals on gear, 3) getting paid for doing something you love, and 4) chicks will find you more desirable... Wink

Competition for instructor jobs is competitive as more kiters are trying to get into it, but if you really want to make it your profession and follow summer around the world to kite it’s not a bad way to go.

Good luck!

~Dano

FlyinElvis wrote:
I've been considering becoming a certified instructor...but what does it really get you? (this is a serious question)..

robkov

Since 03 Jul 2006
90 Posts

PostTue Sep 19, 06 9:28 am     Reply with quote

I thought chicks digged the longball not kite instructors.

Onad Rednaxela wrote:
4) chicks will find you more desirable... Wink
FlyinElvis wrote:
I've been considering becoming a certified instructor...but what does it really get you? (this is a serious question)..

So, I have talked with Jim, but they are teaching an IKO cert class in Baja, in March, when I am stuck here at the college.

I just wish we could gather up enough locals here in the gorge to get an IKO or PASA instructor to cert us here.

Rob

grom

Since 07 Aug 2006
167 Posts

Bolstad Clan

PostThu Sep 21, 06 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

look i became an instruter this summer and spent all summer teaching. its not somethng i recomend. first it cost some $550 to get certified. then, as we all know, lessons cost a lot. but the instrutor only makes like 20-30% of that, working in hood river. plus its so crazy coaching there, people are so out of control. running around on the sand bar is not all its cracked up to be. keep teaching your buddies friends for $100 a day. i worked all summer and didn't make any money and am now working at an oil refinery so that i can go to baja.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: