Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

One Line Simplicity and a Surf Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostSun Sep 17, 06 8:24 pm    One Line Simplicity and a Surf Board Reply with quote

Just filling time til the wind comes back.

Gman ripper.JPG 
   3 guys a.JPG 
   hot chicks top deck.JPG 
   beer handoff.JPG 
   tom ws 2.JPG 
   Tom Toby 1.JPG 
   jodi ws 1.JPG 
   jodi phil starting.JPG 
   phil pbr 2 drink.JPG 
   Toby beer rope 2.JPG 
   Gman smiley.JPG 

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Sep 17, 06 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

I don't know if I was high on life or exhaust fumes, but man that was fun. Casually drinking a cold one while surfing a glassy "wave" forever, pretty awesome. Very Happy

Thanks for the ride Gman!

Last edited by pkh on Sun Sep 17, 06 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Sep 17, 06 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

Hell yea! Looks like a badass, BIG boat you guys got!!!

Phil's going Inept style in that one pic too. Thumb's Up

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Sep 17, 06 9:35 pm     Reply with quote

another productive day Very Happy

how long could you ride those wakes out?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Sep 17, 06 9:47 pm     Reply with quote

colby wrote:
another productive day Very Happy

how long could you ride those wakes out?

forever theoretically if you can keep on the "wave"... I think everybody got good 1-2 minute rides without the help of the rope at some point. really the only limiting factor for surf time was everyone wanted to ride and after 15 minutes of exhaust in your face you get a little dizzy. Very Happy

I've only long boarded a few times, but I'd imagine it'd be great training for surfing... yeah it doesn't help you know how to catch a wave necessarily, but I think the riding part would be somewhat similar. I could be way off though, any core surfers wanna weigh in on that conclusion?

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun Sep 17, 06 11:01 pm     Reply with quote

a couple of minutes isn't bad, and being on the river always beats a day in the office! I'm asking because I remember hearing a story about some creative types longboarding in Texas behind the wakes of the oil tankers....and riding over a mile on them! ...open ocean riding of course.

Kodiak

Since 01 Aug 2005
1114 Posts

Slidey

PostSun Sep 17, 06 11:23 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like it was fun. Wish I had been there Crying or Very sad

Colby,
I don't think you would have much luck with that anymore. I think getting too close to an oil tanker now would get you some attention from the coast guard.

genek

Since 21 Jul 2006
2165 Posts
East Po
KGB

PostSun Sep 17, 06 11:26 pm     Reply with quote

Yep, a cool surf documentary called Step Into Liquid has some footage of this on Lake Michigan as well. Wonder how long the longest ride is...Guinness Book anyone?

chanson

Since 31 Jan 2006
1873 Posts
WISCONSIN
Chimey

PostMon Sep 18, 06 8:06 am    yep. Reply with quote

yep. I was born and bread in the Midwest on the Lakes and as long as the wake is clean and up, you can ride it.
You can also get a bunch of weight in one corner and slowly steer the boat that way(in a big arch turn), and the wake will actually "curl" and break similiar to a real wave.
Sweet pics.

Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Sep 18, 06 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Definitely helps with the riding and balance, but the reality is 95%+ of surfing is PADDLING. Paddling out, paddling around, paddling into waves, etc. If you're out surfing at an average Oregon surf spot, lets say for 2 hours, and you catch and ride 20 waves (which would be a really good wave count) and each wave is 10 seconds long (which would be a pretty long ride for most beach breaks), that's a total of 200 seconds or a little over 3 minutes of riding. Except for a certain north coast point break, you'd be unlikely to accumulate these numbers at most Oregon spots, especially where beginning surfers are tolerated.

So, a proportional training program for someone hanging out in the Gorge would be to practice paddling at a rate of 40 hours for every 1 hour of riding behind the boat. Of course, this doesn't help with learning wave selection, how to read a break, dealing with locals, duck-diving, and all the other skills involved.

With kiting, you're riding all the time (and not breathing exhaust) which is just so much of a stoke. Why my surfing friends aren't jumping into this sport still amazes me....

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 18, 06 9:16 am    Re: One Line Simplicity and a Surf Board Reply with quote

Looks like a good time.

Curious what the ratio of gallons of fuel burned to minutes surfing is?

And yes, I’m just jealous I wasn’t there. ~Nads Cool

PS I like your perspective Mocean... Wink My paddling fitness & technique sucks. That’s probably why I kitesurf way more than I surf.

Mocean wrote:
So, a proportional training program for someone hanging out in the Gorge would be to practice paddling at a rate of 40 hours for every 1 hour of riding behind the boat...

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Sep 18, 06 9:36 am     Reply with quote

Mocean wrote:
95%+ of surfing is PADDLING. Paddling out, paddling around, paddling into waves, etc..

Yeah, surfing is super burly - a few weeks ago caught like 50 waves on downwinder kiting from Nedonna Beah to Barview -effortless, the next day dead calm tried surfing some baby shoulder high waves and got pile drived and drank half the ocean - sick workout.

I like how these guys train:

joe-rock-carry-thumb[1].jpg 

mystrygrl

Since 07 Sep 2006
95 Posts
PDX/HR - What day is it?

PostMon Sep 18, 06 11:38 am    thanks, and a moment of silence... Reply with quote

thanks again Gman and Kara (and, of course, Astro) for a really fun day.

And, let's take a moment to mourn the loss of the one (only one, fortunately) bottle of Session that was sacrificed practicing that "beer handoff"... it tried to survive... floated there for a while, but just not long enough! Crying or Very sad

Would have been great to get a shot of Phil (post-PBR of course) switching ropes with that third guy riding behind the jetski! that was pretty cool, I must say! Very Happy

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostMon Sep 18, 06 11:44 am     Reply with quote

Ok so now that see the pictures I am so jealous, looks like you guys had a blast Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: